• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ratings: Part 3

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Well, since Poke425 hasn't showed up in over a year, and Part 2 has long reached its expiration date, I'll start the third Part.

For June 6-12, Pokémon, surprise surprise, isn't part of the Top 10 at all, and based on the fact that Yokai Watch just BARELY made it to the cutoff point of the Top 10 at a rating of 3.5, we know Pokémon definitely had to have a lower rating than 3.5.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-17/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-6-12/.103311

I'll probably hunt down more old ratings to see how long they are on here as a comparison, though I don't expect to see much difference with Pokémon. Either it's just barely at the Top 10, or it's not even on there.

Since it's going to be the League next Thursday (no new episodes this Thursday for some reason), we'll probably get a slight spike in ratings, at best.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I think people are just getting sick of the same old formula. I don't really pay attention to ratings honestly, I just watch whatever I enjoy, and I honestly do enjoy the Pokémon anime (at least, when the writers aren't just throwing crap). And truthfully, after the abomination that was the BW series, and Ash's continuous, completely predictable league losses, can you really blame anyone for not enjoying the series anymore? It seems like XY/Z is actually breaking some molds and creating something interesting.

I personally feel like XY/Z is the best the anime has been in a loooooong time, though I've read some opinions on this forum that would definitely disagree with mine... This is honestly the best version of Ash we've had since DP/Pt, and I want to have faith in the writers for giving him some decent progression again, because god knows he needs/deserves it. XY/Z is my favorite series in the anime and I can only hope Alola is just as good, if not better.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Whew, sorry for the delay.

Anyways, here's the ratings for the following:

6/20-6/26: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-30/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-20-26/.103824

6/27-7/3: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-07/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-27-july-3/.104068

Odd. The Kalos League would have probably guaranteed it a spot in the top 10, yet it's nowhere in sight. And the last one is particularly bad because most of the ratings from June 27 to July 3 aren't even THAT impressive (based on this, it's lower than a 2.3, which is the rating #10 on the list, Shaun the Sheep, got).

There won't be a new Pok?mon episode next Thursday, so I'll probably use that time to post the ones that Poke245 hadn't posted nor have I posted. Though Little Hero could post them if he wishes.

Years
  • Whew, sorry for the delay.

Anyways, here's the ratings for the following:

6/20-6/26: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-30/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-20-26/.103824

6/27-7/3: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-07-07/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-27-july-3/.104068

Odd. The Kalos League would have probably guaranteed it a spot in the top 10, yet it's nowhere in sight. And the last one is particularly bad because most of the ratings from June 27 to July 3 aren't even THAT impressive (based on this, it's lower than a 2.3, which is the rating #10 on the list, Shaun the Sheep, got).

There won't be a new Pok?mon episode next Thursday, so I'll probably use that time to post the ones that Poke245 hadn't posted nor have I posted. Though Little Hero could post them if he wishes.

I used my mobile to write this post. You may find grammar mistakes.

The bad performance of XY125 captured my attention So I decided to post the ratings.

Here are the ratings of Pok?mon x y & z:

XY119 outside the top ten list (less than 3.6)

XY120 got 3.2

XY121 got 3.1

XY122 outside the top ten list (less than 3.3)

XY123 outside the top ten list (less than 3.5)

XY124 outside the top ten list (less than 3.4)

XY125 outside the top ten list (less than 2.3)

In the past threads:
    "The lowest rating ever was 2.2%, which is the episode that Tepig evolved in and the highest rating ever was 18.6%, which is the OS episode where Ash participates in a race riding with a Ponyta".

Source: http://forums.bulbagarden.net/index.php?threads/best-wishes-ratings-in-japan.134071/

NOW we have to find the rating of XY125 because it got LESS THAN 2.3. Its rating is very near to the rating of Tepig's episode (2.2).

ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I CARE ABOUT THE RATINGS OF THE SERIES:

Back in BW:
    When the ratings were bad in Pok?mon Best Wishes season 1 (the Japanese version of Pok?mon Black & White), the writers started Best Wishes season 2 with the following changes:

I guess that was the first time the Japanese version of the series used the words "season two."
    They brought back the old Pok?mon of the generations 1, 2, 3 & 4. The Pok?mon of generation 5 were the main focus of BW season one.
    Dawn or Hikari came back. We thought no previous character would come back.
    A legendary Pok?mon joined the group (meloetta).
    The previous champion Cynthia (Japanese: ??? Shirona) joined the group.
    Later, Charizard or Lizardon came back.
    Professor Oak caught a legendary Pok?mon (Rotom).

And I forgot: they introduced the Pok?mon World Tournament Junior Cup. However, I did not feel that it was a world cup.

My point is: bad ratings can force the writers to introduce major changes to the series.The Bad ratings can change the series.

I am waiting for the ratings to get bad enough that the writers will ask why or introduce major changes to the series.

I am an old fan of the series. The series is boring and repetitive now. I think only old fans who have standards can feel this.

The differences between major changes and minor changes:

The Minor changes are:
    A new outfit for Ash.
    New Pok?mon.
    New characters.
    But the same story again!. I can predict the episodes easily.

The Major changes are:
    Real changes that will return the series back to the number one series in the world. In 2000s, everyone was talking about Pok?mon. Pok?mon was the topic of the news everywhere.

The End

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I used my mobile to write this post. You may find grammar mistakes.

The bad performance of XY125 captured my attention So I decided to post the ratings.

Here are the ratings of Pok?mon x y & z:

XY119 outside the top ten list (less than 3.6)

XY120 got 3.2

XY121 got 3.1

XY122 outside the top ten list (less than 3.3)

XY123 outside the top ten list (less than 3.5)

XY124 outside the top ten list (less than 3.4)

XY125 outside the top ten list (less than 2.3)

In the past threads:
    "The lowest rating ever was 2.2%, which is the episode that Tepig evolved in and the highest rating ever was 18.6%, which is the OS episode where Ash participates in a race riding with a Ponyta".

Source: http://forums.bulbagarden.net/index.php?threads/best-wishes-ratings-in-japan.134071/

NOW we have to find the rating of XY125 because it got LESS THAN 2.3. Its rating is very near to the rating of Tepig's episode (2.2).

ONE OF THE REASONS WHY I CARE ABOUT THE RATINGS OF THE SERIES:

Back in BW:
    When the ratings were bad in Pok?mon Best Wishes season 1 (the Japanese version of Pok?mon Black & White), the writers started Best Wishes season 2 with the following changes:

I guess that was the first time the Japanese version of the series used the words "season two."
    They brought back the old Pok?mon of the generations 1, 2, 3 & 4. The Pok?mon of generation 5 were the main focus of BW season one.
    Dawn or Hikari came back. We thought no previous character would come back.
    A legendary Pok?mon joined the group (meloetta).
    The previous champion Cynthia (Japanese: ??? Shirona) joined the group.
    Later, Charizard or Lizardon came back.
    Professor Oak caught a legendary Pok?mon (Rotom).

And I forgot: they introduced the Pok?mon World Tournament Junior Cup. However, I did not feel that it was a world cup.

My point is: bad ratings can force the writers to introduce major changes to the series.The Bad ratings can change the series.

I am waiting for the ratings to get bad enough that the writers will ask why or introduce major changes to the series.

I am an old fan of the series. The series is boring and repetitive now. I think only old fans who have standards can feel this.

The differences between major changes and minor changes:

The Minor changes are:
    A new outfit for Ash.
    New Pok?mon.
    New characters.
    But the same story again!. I can predict the episodes easily.

The Major changes are:
    Real changes that will return the series back to the number one series in the world. In 2000s, everyone was talking about Pok?mon. Pok?mon was the topic of the news everywhere.

The End

Writers doesn't care since Pokemon is still one of top 5 profitable anime for TV-Tokyo.
    After all , Gintama has even lesser rating but it is still popular .

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Writers doesn't care since Pokemon is still one of top 5 profitable anime for TV-Tokyo.
    After all , Gintama has even lesser rating but it is still popular .

How can something have even lesser rating and still be popular? Especially when the Hulu service in Japan bombed?

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    How can something have even lesser rating and still be popular? Especially when the Hulu service in Japan bombed?

There are lots of anime that are super popular but received lesser rating .
    Such as Naruto , Gintama , Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood , OnePunchMan , Berserk , Maid-sama , Clanned , Gekken Shoujo no Nazaki-kun , K-on , Toaru Majutsu no index ete etc the list just goes on.

You simply don't understand how popularity of Anime works .

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    There are lots of anime that are super popular but received lesser rating .
    Such as Naruto , Gintama , Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood , OnePunchMan , Berserk , Maid-sama , Clanned , Gekken Shoujo no Nazaki-kun , K-on , Toaru Majutsu no index ete etc the list just goes on.

You simply don't understand how popularity of Anime works .

And again, popularity can only truly be measured by whether it's actually watched, especially when the ratings ultimately are determined by the commercials put out. Hence, ratings. And since Japan doesn't even HAVE an online streaming service at all (not to mention XY's been doing poorly on that front even if they did), we can't even cite online streamings as a reason why XY's doing poorly in ratings. It's certainly what executives believe.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    And again, popularity can only truly be measured by whether it's actually watched, especially when the ratings ultimately are determined by the commercials put out. Hence, ratings. And since Japan doesn't even HAVE an online streaming service at all (not to mention XY's been doing poorly on that front even if they did), we can't even cite online streamings as a reason why XY's doing poorly in ratings. It's certainly what executives believe.

So I guess everyone , Every site and reliable source are lying when they claim those anime to be popular just because they doesn't have Rating .
    Those anime are popular with or without rating because of their sales.
    Just because you think they are not popular due to lack of Rating , Doesn't make those anime unpopular.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    So I guess everyone , Every site and reliable source are lying when they claim those anime to be popular just because they doesn't have Rating .
    Those anime are popular with or without rating because of their sales.
    Just because you think they are not popular due to lack of Rating , Doesn't make those anime unpopular.

You do realize people can fudge the numbers, right? I know plenty of shows that exaggerate their popularity for cynical reasons. Like 30 Rock, which boasted being a popular show when it was consistently very low rated even BEFORE it's cancellation if Breitbart is to be believed.

And it's not just what I think, it's what various other people know from actually observing the ratings (and in the case of IrregularMaverick, even the sales figures). Heck, even you yourself have noted that the anime's doing terribly in ratings and have constantly demanded that they make changes to boost them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    You do realize people can fudge the numbers, right? I know plenty of shows that exaggerate their popularity for cynical reasons. Like 30 Rock, which boasted being a popular show when it was consistently very low rated even BEFORE it's cancellation if Breitbart is to be believed.

Oh Your saying everyone is wrong and Your right !
    Its like I'm arguing with Sheldon Cooper .
    How do you know that people didn't fudge the number in rating huh ?
    The source of my information comes form Anime-Biz and Anime News Network which are far reliable then whatever imaginary source that your relying on .

And it's not just what I think, it's what various other people know from actually observing the ratings (and in the case of IrregularMaverick, even the sales figures). Heck, even you yourself have noted that the anime's doing terribly in ratings and have constantly demanded that they make changes to boost them.

Oh really , People need to observe rating to know what anime is good !
    I notice that even Anime with terrible rating has bigger fanbase and love by majority of anime fan !
    So Maybe , There is problem with Japanese TV Ranking .

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Oh Your saying everyone is wrong and Your right !
    Its like I'm arguing with Sheldon Cooper .
    How do you know that people didn't fudge the number in rating huh ?
    The source of my information comes form Anime-Biz and Anime News Network which are far reliable then whatever imaginary source that your relying on .

I don't know, that's why we can't assume either way. However, even TVTropes noted in the YMMV section that it wasn't well received by the Japanese fanbase. And I cited an example: 30 Rock. And I also cited a source, Breitbart. And just to prove it's not imaginary, here's the source:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2012/04/27/30-rock-makes-blackface-okay-again/

And that was back when it was still airing episodes.

Oh really , People need to observe rating to know what anime is good !
    I notice that even Anime with terrible rating has bigger fanbase and love by majority of anime fan !
    So Maybe , There is problem with Japanese TV Ranking .

If there was a problem, the guys who do the ratings would fix it. Last I checked, it wasn't fixed. And if people barely even watch anime, then there wouldn't be any marketability to it. It's that simple, and it's definitely the case with MOST TV shows. Just ask the executives who cancelled Heroes.

Years
  • The ratings have been dropping for more than a decade sadly, so that's the norm. I mean, they're not gonna cancel the anime anytime soon regardless imo since it still seems to be making a profit somehow otherwise TV Tokyo or whatever network airs the show would've just pulled the plug a while ago. But tbh, I feel like some people care more about the anime's ratings than about the anime itself. :x

Years
  • Another likely factor behind the falling ratings is the rise of streaming services such as Netflix and people tend to watch shows on them rather than on TV. It makes a staggering difference.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    If there was a problem, the guys who do the ratings would fix it. Last I checked, it wasn't fixed. And if people barely even watch anime, then there wouldn't be any marketability to it. It's that simple, and it's definitely the case with MOST TV shows. Just ask the executives who cancelled Heroes.

And I'm not seeing anyone fixing the page that claim Pokemon to be Top 5 profitable anime.

I don't know, that's why we can't assume either way. However, even TVTropes noted in the YMMV section that it wasn't well received by the Japanese fanbase. And I cited an example: 30 Rock. And I also cited a source, Breitbart. And just to prove it's not imaginary, here's the source:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2012/04/27/30-rock-makes-blackface-okay-again/

And that was back when it was still airing episodes.

And here is Source that prove that Blog writer is a big fat liar --

Spoiler:

Nobody Watchs 30 rock my ass !
    Anyone has to be blind to say 3.5 million Nobody .

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Another likely factor behind the falling ratings is the rise of streaming services such as Netflix and people tend to watch shows on them rather than on TV. It makes a staggering difference.

Yeah, I'm doubtful about that. Poke425 made it pretty clear that even regarding online viewings, Pokémon's viewership was downright terrible. And besides, Japan doesn't even have Netflix and Hulu. IrregularMaverickZ made that much clear.

And in any case, NCIS gets streamed by the CBS app, yet that has absolutely no impact on the ratings, still getting well over 20 million viewers.

@Famon: Again that's not a blog, it's a conservative news site. And there have been plenty of movies and TV shows that actually got awards despite actually being quite terrible. You can't use awards as an indicator of whether a show or movie is actually well received, especially when awards right now are rather notorious for having been "bought" beforehand, or otherwise it's judged solely for whether it promoted a particular agenda rather than its actual content or whether the viewership actually liked it. And while 3.5 million is higher than 2.8 million, it's still considered very low ratings.

Years
  • Yeah, I'm doubtful about that. Poke425 made it pretty clear that even regarding online viewings, Pokémon's viewership was downright terrible. And besides, Japan doesn't even have Netflix and Hulu. IrregularMaverickZ made that much clear.

If I remember from reading TV Tropes, the Pokemon anime isn't as popular in Japan anymore yet is still getting love in the Western countries. That likely explains XY getting some of the anime's lowest viewing figures in Japan.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    If I remember from reading TV Tropes, the Pokemon anime isn't as popular in Japan anymore yet is still getting love in the Western countries. That likely explains XY getting some of the anime's lowest viewing figures in Japan.

Yeah, agreed. They could always just release the Anime in America first and then in Japan, like Sonic X did, or heck, how Metal Gear games generally get their releases after MGS1 (they either get released in America first, or otherwise have an international release date that generally is ahead of Japan).

Years
  • Apparently I heard the opening Kalos League episode has tied with BW077 (the episode that Ash's Tepig evolved in) for the lowest rating episode of the series so far. It appears Japan's supposed disinterest with the XY anime has proved if it managed to get an episode that rated as badly as Tepig's evolution did.

Years
  • Apparently I heard the opening Kalos League episode has tied with BW077 (the episode that Ash's Tepig evolved in) for the lowest rating episode of the series so far. It appears Japan's supposed disinterest with the XY anime has proved if it managed to get an episode that rated as badly as Tepig's evolution did.

Wow, that's shocking for a League opening. And I remember back when BW077's rating was revealed, defenders of the BW saga did damage control and tried to blame the low rating on Golden Week. The funny thing is that several other episodes of the anime had also aired during Golden Week in the past and those still got higher ratings than that, so the BW077 rating was bad regardless of the holiday excuse. I wonder how people would defend the Kalos League opening episode's rating, though.

Back