• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank and Transfer.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Yeah, SD cards aren't that expensive (depending on the size and where you buy it). I bought a 16 gb one for something like €20. It's more than I'll ever need on my 3DS, but I'll never have to worry about running out of space again.
    Having a large SD card like that is very beneficial, especially for someone who plans to download XY from the e-shop as it's a large game.

I don't think the program will be too large so Damien you can buy a 2GB one. I saw a few for 4 dollars when I bought mine.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
  • ^ Uh, no... those phones are expensive and Pkm X and Y will be the only game I get for about 6 months, probably. The 3DS took a massive chunk out of our budget and I got it at a sale price. And we have to have Internet to pay our bills and for me to do homework, it's not that much in a bundle.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    ^ Uh, no... those phones are expensive and Pkm X and Y will be the only game I get for about 6 months, probably. The 3DS took a massive chunk out of our budget and I got it at a sale price. And we have to have Internet to pay our bills and for me to do homework, it's not that much in a bundle.

I'm sorry I'm not sure what you are saying ?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm glad that they're introducing this feature. It'll be much easier now to transfer your Pokémon back and forth between each of your games. $5 a year isn't expensive at all (we spend more than that on food, laundry, and other things every day), so I'll definitely subscribe to this.

What I'm wondering is, if you ever stop paying, what would happen to your Pokémon? Would they just stay there in the cloud and you won't be able to access them until you make your payment, or would they be lost forever?

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • In the Pokemon Direct, they compared the Bank to past titles like Pokemon Box and the Wii Ranch, which we had to pay for. Taking this into consideration, along with how this Bank will be compatible with ALL future generations, paying doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Also, there will be a free trial. This means we can use it to quickly and permanently transfer all our previous pokemon over, without having to pay just like we have in past generations' Pal Park and BW Poke Transfer.

One thing is kind of odd: I could understand that GenV didn't allow GenIII transfers because the DSi, DS Lite, and 3DS released at that time didn't have a GBA slot. Taunting players with "you could do this if you have the obsolete DS Phat" wouldn't be promoting the idea of buying the newer game systems. But if both GenV games and GenIV are DS cartridges, why couldn't they have Pokemon Bank work with those games as well?

The idea of a trainer wanting to travel directly from Sinnoh or Johto to Kalos, as opposed to having to middleman between Unova, shouldn't be prevented.

Romaov

Orra
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2016
    I have a question. I've gone into random battles on bw2 with my teams and they're 100% legit no hacks no anything all caught in bw2 or platinum, or white. I could never get in with half of them, I always got the error message"there's a problem with your pokemon". Will something like that prevent me from transfering my oldpokemon to X?

Years
  • I'm sorry I'm not sure what you are saying ?
    I think Snowdrop is saying that some people end up using up all their money that even one can't afford ten dollars for some time.

Also I find it rude to keep up bringing up the whole oh ten dollars is not too much, for me it's not but currently I'm not in hardship, but others on the other hand are. XY for some people is the most entertainment one can buy. Some people even looked for cheap 3DS due to said budget...
    We shouldn't jump to conclusions about one's economic status...

@Romaov, that's proably due to the said Pokémon being banned in B2W2. For more details you can go ask in the Gen V thread in the Quick Questions thread. So your Pokémon if they are legit should be allowed.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    i think that paying for this service is not a good idea, I mean, this game is already expensive, I hope Gamefreak would figure that the people don't want to spend that much money!

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I think Snowdrop is saying that some people end up using up all their money that even one can't afford ten dollars for some time.

Also I find it rude to keep up bringing up the whole oh ten dollars is not too much, for me it's not but currently I'm not in hardship, but others on the other hand are. XY for some people is the most entertainment one can buy. Some people even looked for cheap 3DS due to said budget...
    We shouldn't jump to conclusions about one's economic status...

@Romaov, that's proably due to the said Pokémon being banned in B2W2. For more details you can go ask in the Gen V thread in the Quick Questions thread. So your Pokémon if they are legit should be allowed.

Its not so much as just fact . Unfortunately as games and systems progress and the more special features we get the more expensive our hobby will get. And think about this after this generation we will have over 700 pokemon next gen over 800 by gen 8 or 9 I wouldn't be surprised if we have over a thousand pokemon, so what game freak is doing is pretty smart , and to be honest I don't mind spending a little to get alot

i think that paying for this service is not a good idea, I mean, this game is already expensive, I hope Gamefreak would figure that the people don't want to spend that much money!

Ever played the TCG? It's a more expensive habit than the games . Game Freak is making products and services that are fun to get us to spend more

Last edited:

Years
  • Of course they are, they need us to buy to make money lol.

However I'll describe this service as more convenient (for those of us who can afford it) than fun xD.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I describe this service as what it is - ********.

They are charging us to transfer bits of data between two games we own. This is a blatant money grab, nothing more, and something that no real fan of the series should be able to support.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I describe this service as what it is - ********.

They are charging us to transfer bits of data between two games we own. This is a blatant money grab, nothing more, and something that no real fan of the series should be able to support.

Not really. In 5th gen you needed two DS systems to transfer Pokémon. This meant you needed another $129 (or whatever) system ON TOP of what you already had, just to do something trivial like transferring Pokémon. Compared to 5th gen, I'd say the new Poké Transportation system goes for chip change.

Come on, people. It's $5 a YEAR. That's ridiculously cheap. Maybe parents with low income will find it difficult to afford it, because they really should be spending money on something else, but middle to upper class kids and older players will find it extremely cheap.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • The two system requirement has always been around, no complaints with that.

My complaint though is that with this their probably isn't going to be a way to do system to system trades, 5th to 6th gen.

For older players, having multiple systems isn't really going to be that much of a concern. We get a new one, we shelf the old one till we need it. And for newer players it isn't a issue since they will probably be starting on this game.

Last edited:

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Not really. In 5th gen you needed two DS systems to transfer Pokémon. This meant you needed another $129 (or whatever) system ON TOP of what you already had, just to do something trivial like transferring Pokémon. Compared to 5th gen, I'd say the new Poké Transportation system goes for chip change.

Come on, people. It's $5 a YEAR. That's ridiculously cheap. Maybe parents with low income will find it difficult to afford it, because they really should be spending money on something else, but middle to upper class kids and older players will find it extremely cheap.

Thank you someone who understands.

Why don't people realize your not paying to transfer your pokemon, your paying for cloud storage for pokemon and the ability to bring your pokemon from gen 5 is a bonus for those willing to pay $.0137 a day . It's like saying free apps on the eshop cost $199 because you have to by a 3ds.

So to reiterate poke transfer = free

Pokemon Bank= $0.0137 cents a day
    $0.095 cents a week
    $0.38 cents a month

The two system requirement has always been around, no complaints with that.

My complaint though is that with this their probably isn't going to be a way to do system to system trades, 5th to 6th gen.

For older players, having multiple systems isn't really going to be that much of a concern. We get a new one, we shelf the old one till we need it. And for newer players it isn't a issue since they will probably be starting on this game.

Additionally, I live in the middle of nowhere. No access to wireless to use this service, and I'm not going to drive a half hour to town to trade pokemon between carts.

And while I feel for you, you can't stop the advancement of something just because some may not be able to take advantage of it.
    To be honest good hard working people who live in the country are kinda in the minority.

For example take the population of 1 mile radius out in the country , that may equal to what maybe 500( I'm not sure where you live)
    No take a place like NYC 1 mile radius equals closer to the thousands who have access to wifi

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Advancement is the inclusion of new features.

Removing the ability to trade between the ds/i and 3ds is just a dick move to create the need for a money grab that everyone seems to be willing to accept.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Thank you someone who understands.

Why don't people realize your not paying to transfer your pokemon, your paying for cloud storage for pokemon and the ability to bring your pokemon from gen 5 is a bonus for those willing to pay $.0137 a day . It's like saying free apps on the eshop cost $199 because you have to by a 3ds.

So to reiterate poke transfer = free

Pokemon Bank= $0.0137 cents a day
    $0.095 cents a week
    $0.38 cents a month

And while I feel for you, you can't stop the advancement of something just because some may not be able to take advantage of it.
    To be honest good hard working people who live in the country are kinda in the minority.

For example take the population of 1 mile radius out in the country , that may equal to what maybe 500( I'm not sure where you live)
    No take a place like NYC 1 mile radius equals closer to the thousands who have access to wifi

on top of all thats being mentioned, you will be given a 1 month free trial version upon downloading. That should be more than enough time to transfer all of your pokemon before you have to pay to continue.

Years
  • Advancement is the inclusion of new features.

Removing the ability to trade between the ds/i and 3ds is just a dick move to create the need for a money grab that everyone seems to be willing to accept.

First off the reason one can't trade between the two is due to how 3DS games are configured which is different from the Ds games so the two games wouldn't be able to link without a middle man. Second that middle man, the cloud (Pokebank) has a server that will likely be expensive to run...so they sort of have to charge money for it or they will lose money with allowing transfering... also third GF and Nintendo could always have dropped migration to Gen VI like they did in Gen III...

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • This is what you are ignoring

A person should not have to pay to trade between two games that they already own.

This is my issue with it - I've a dsi. I've a 3ds. I'd copies of black and black 2. And plan to get a copy of X. Why should I have to pay $5 a year to be able to trade from my copy of black 2 to X? Why should I have to pay for what has been a standard feature, the ability to trade from the previous generation to the next?

If they want to make money, I'm not against that. They can charge all they want for wireless trades. But they shouldn't charge for a person just wanting to trade between two games that they own.

Edit - You want a middleman? The 3DS has a SD card slot. Thats your middleman. Trading app starts, you slot in your 5th gen game cartridge and select the pokemon you want to trade over. It's copied to the card, deleted from the cartridge, and you change out the cart for the 6th game cart and then the pokemon's data transfers from the SD card to the cartridge. No need for wireless access at all.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Advancement is the inclusion of new features.

It's call blame nintendo for not being able to connect a DSI and a 3ds. It's not game freaks fault my friend. They didn't remove it , they couldn't do it that way so that's why they did it this way.

Your right not everyone will accept but I bet those who won't will be in the minority , maybe 5% of the fandom if that. Think the majority of pokemon fans are in Japan which I believe the country runs on wifi lol.
    And do you think they are making a huge profit on this?
    Think BW sold 14 million copies so if all those sign up that's 70 million a year to maintain a cloud based server for 365 days of continuous use

45% goes to servers / CPU memory storage systems
    25% goes to infrastructure / power distribution , cooling
    15% goes to power draw / electrical utilities cost
    15% goes to the network/ links, transits , equipment

Don't forget it has to pay for the employees to manage it and yes it is reasonable for the pokemon company to make a profit.
    It seems like Nintendo is one of the few good corporations out their left that doesn't corrupt out politics , screws out economy or ask for bailouts , so lets give them something.

This is what you are ignoring

A person should not have to pay to trade between two games that they already own.

This is my issue with it - I've a dsi. I've a 3ds. I'd copies of black and black 2. And plan to get a copy of X. Why should I have to pay $5 a year to be able to trade from my copy of black 2 to X? Why should I have to pay for what has been a standard feature, the ability to trade from the previous generation to the next?

If they want to make money, I'm not against that. They can charge all they want for wireless trades. But they shouldn't charge for a person just wanting to trade between two games that they own.

Look at it this way. They could of pull a gen 3 on us and not have us able to transfer at all
    If given the choice to leave are pokemon behind or pay a small fee which is not even 10% of a minimum wage worker weekly paycheck to bring them over I choose to pay.
    Keep in mind no ones forcing you to buy this

Last edited:
    Back