• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wi-Fi and router-related help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Ok, I have a philips Modem wireless-and it has a WPA code-I know the DS wont connect to this-although my DSi connects just for looking at the internet.
    Two questions-will I be able to trade using my DSİ and GTA via the internet on my DSi?

Right second question;

If I were to disable my security, would I be able to switch off my computer (its an external modem) and play off that without anybody being able to get to my information on my computer-although, I know others can then access my internet connection can't they. (not a good idea!)

If I bought a dongle, such as the one made by nintendo or wifi max for example, would I be able to use this for my Nintendo ds without changing my settings to WEP and keeping the WPA security.

I am just interested in trading in the future really.

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes you could disable wireless security but you're still leaving your network open for your neighbors to leech your bandwidth. And yes if you bought the dongle you'd be able to leave your router settings alone since your PC is being used as the access point for your DS. What I've done to have the best of both worlds is I have a a WRT-54G with DD-WRT firmware on it. I've set up one wireless network using wpa2 for my Wii and PCs and a second virtual access point just for the DS which is segregated from the main home network. The DS connection still only uses WEP but if someone cracks it they only have access to that portion of the network. They can still leech bandwidth though.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2012
    My wifi was working perfectly for a while, and then I started getting error code 86420. I've disabled the firewall on the router hoping that woul help, but to no avail. rebooting the router doesn't help either. I have a Belkin G F5D7234-4 V5 router.

Gannon81

Beginning Trainer
    Years
  • Hi, i've recently bought a Nintendo Wi-fi USB connector which allows me to connect to the interet fine, i can also use the GTS but when i try and use the union room to battle or trade other people who i've registered using the pal pad i get the error message 86240, can anyone help me out :(? much appreciated

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2011
    My router wont support my nintendo ds lite

so i have pokemon pearl since a while back and also got soul silver recently and i want to go online
    however wen i search for my router a message says that the router dont suport my ds and the search result wont even show on the screen
    sometimes the ds finds my neighbours router and the list of search results incudes my router but the same message is shown on screen when i try to connect to it
    whats the problem and how do i solve it?

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2011
    Go to your router's settings; you're going to have to change the WPA security setting to WEP.
    crap....
    i was afraid of that
    i cant do tha :/
    its not ealy my router its my parents andthey would not alow that
    and the code would change right?
    so i cant do it "whitout their knowledge"

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
  • Nintendo Customer Service Nintendo WiFI Connection Connection

Take a look at that, it might be able help you.

And changing your WPA to WEP shouldn't be the problem it has nothing to do with your compatibility to be able to connect to your Nintendo DS. It's probably that your router is set to "g" Network Speed Compatibility. Check if your router is, if it is, then that's the problem. That was the problem that I had. Good luck.

Years
  • Nintendo Customer Service Nintendo WiFI Connection Connection

Take a look at that, it might be able help you.

And changing your WPA to WEP shouldn't be the problem it has nothing to do with your compatibility to be able to connect to your Nintendo DS. It's probably that your router is set to "g" Network Speed Compatibility. Check if your router is, if it is, then that's the problem. That was the problem that I had. Good luck.

I'm using a Wirless G router and I connect just fine with my DS Lite. DS Lite systems are not programed to use the WPA protocol. Only the DSi and DSi XL are of Nintendo handheld systems. It is certainly the fact that you're using the WPA security protocol. I would recommend changing your router settings to WEP and adding MAC Address Filtering (a MAC address is also known as a Physical Address). You may have to add each wireless device into your MAC Address filter. This makes it harder to access your network for those who try to use your connection without your consent, to compensate for the loss of security in the WEP protocol.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
  • I'm using a Wirless G router and I connect just fine with my DS Lite. DS Lite systems are not programed to use the WPA protocol. Only the DSi and DSi XL are of Nintendo handheld systems. It is certainly the fact that you're using the WPA security protocol. I would recommend changing your router settings to WEP and adding MAC Address Filtering (a MAC address is also known as a Physical Address). You may have to add each wireless device into your MAC Address filter. This makes it harder to access your network for those who try to use your connection without your consent, to compensate for the loss of security in the WEP protocol.
    Thanks for bringing up, that the Nintendo DS Lite system aren't supported to use the WPA protocol, I didn't know that. I'm using a Wireless G Modem and when I tried to connect to it with my DS XL it wouldn't let me, so I had to change some some settings on NSC on my modem.

I wouldn't suggest you enabling the MAC Adress Filtering, probably as last option in case you haven't been able to connect your DS. Because if you have another devices connected to your modem/router (such as another computer, iPod, etc), it will blocked them from the using your network, and you would have to add them manually to enable them.

Years
  • Wi-fi DISASTER

I am trying to connect to my internet by when I do theres a gray lock besides my internets name. I tried to do it manually but still haveing trouble. If someone can tell me, that would be a BIG help.

Years
  • Your device may have been removed from you router's MAC Address Filter... or someone may have changed your WEP/WPA key. :\ Either way, it doesn't sound like good news, unless you can get into the config for your router.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Try connecting to it anyway. If it prompts you for an access key, check on your router's casing for a long number labeled key or WEP.

Years
  • Yah I tired all of those things. So I tried using my niegbors internet and that singal was green. But I need to enter a WEP key, what would that possibley meen?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Yah I tired all of those things. So I tried using my niegbors internet and that singal was green. But I need to enter a WEP key, what would that possibley meen?
    Using your neighbor's Wifi without their permission is illegal.

Please explain what happened when you tried to use your own Wifi in detail.

Years
  • My ss wont trade.
    Whenever i go into the wifi room to trade, battle, ect. knowone else shows up, and i dont show up on theres.
    There is nothing wrong with my router or anything as other games work (there all on my R4DS) and i dont have any cheats on ether.
    Any help?

Years
  • My ss wont trade.
    Whenever i go into the wifi room to trade, battle, ect. knowone else shows up, and i dont show up on theres.
    There is nothing wrong with my router or anything as other games work (there all on my R4DS) and i dont have any cheats on ether.
    Any help?

You have set up your WiFi settings on the game's end, and verified they are correct, right?

Also, you have to actually add someone to your Pal Pad before you can connect directly with them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back