• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 7 Languages - 1 Cartridge

What language will you play X/Y in?

• English

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Spanish

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • French

• German

• Italian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Japanese

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Korean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Romaov

Orra
Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2016
    Since you cant change the language once you start maybe after you beat the game the option will surface? Or by them saying you can't change the language they mean not In-Game but on the main menu before you start. But if not then they really should have rethought that decision since some people might choose Japanese for fun but at the same time they just wanted to see it and now they cant change it w/o restarting

Annataz

Master of Time and Space
    Years
  • Who told you that? Just click the link that I posted above...

It says on the Pokemon X&Y website that you can't change the language during gameplay. Of course, that might mean you have to do it from the main menu, but it also says that you choose the language "at the start of your adventure," so it could go either way.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I like the idea of being able to choose your own language for the game and think that's a neat feature. Seems cool if you want to play in another language for practice.

Years
  • English is not my first language, but I would not want to play Pokemon in an other language. The Pokemon names in English are so cool in English.

I remember being young when I got my first game, and Pokemon helped me a lot with my English!

pedrito3_poke

Banana
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2022

Marlo

Missing Person
    Years
  • What language will you play X/Y in?

This was a feature that really got me excited.

I'm interested to see which language all of you may decide to play the game in and why exactly.

I'm in a toss up between English and German right now. I know I won't be able to change it afterwards, so at least I get to chew on my decision till October.

I played all my other games in English, so I feel like I should probably follow that trend and make everything uniform.

I do prefer the German names for the new Pokémon though.

I have HeartGold in Japanese and I guess it's always fun to play it in the original although I'm not fluent.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Ooh yeah, well at first I thought that this feature will serve no use to me but now that I've grasped the concept behind it, once completing my first play on X when I pick up Y I might just have a go in French to suit the theme!

Aquaphyre

水が好きな人
    Years
  • Spanish all the way!! ^^ When the game comes out, I will have just gotten back from studying abroad in Spain for a year, so I'm really gonna miss the language... However, after I run through the game the first time, I would like to try German and Japanese as well ;p

pedrito3_poke

Banana
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2022
    Well, even if portuguese was available, I wouldn't choose it.
    I always choose english because it doesn't only help me practice my english, as it makes me feel a bit more connected with people worldwide.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    English.

I'll probably try the other languages briefly out of curiosity though, especially Japanese. I won't understand much of it (except a little French maybe) but it still should be interesting.

Years
  • I'm tempted to play it in Japanese, but my Japanese is pretty rusty and I know that would either slow me down or make me miss out on some of the game so I'm leaning toward regular ol' English.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • Its the first time I get to choose language - and first time I get to play the game in my native language without having to wait weeks to months for the game to pass customs inspection and hoping for the package not get lost or stolen along way, importing it from Mexico. I also won't have to buy a 3DS that plays games from Mexico or Central America.... [something similar to my Spanish version of Pokemon White - had to go with customs, and it won't even work on my 3DS XL - region locked]

Spanish!! My native language first, then I'll play in English & Japanese.

Years
  • Most likely English. Its my first language; my second language is Russian, which isn't offered, most likely because of the Cyrillic letters in the language.

But one day, I think it would be awesome to play a Pokemon game in Russian. One day...

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
    Years
  • I'll be using English for the most part. I may try and use Spanish.

I'm curious as to which forms of each language they'll use. American vs. British English, Latin American vs. Spanish err Spanish.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • English, always have and always will. While I know some Spanish and Japanese, it's not enough for me to understand an entire video game in it. I might play for a bit in Spanish or Japanese for a while though to see what it's like , but I won't save the game.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • I'll play it in French first, maybe. I hardly ever get to use the language, so it'll be nice practice. I just hope the French Pokemon names don't stick with me for too long.....

Back