• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A game series that...um...doesnt deserve to live.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    I saw this on X-play and I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread hearing everyones opinions.

Ok so there are numerous I MEAN NUMEROUS game series in the gaming world. Mario, Sonic, Legend of Zelda, Rayman to games like Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Halo, Metal Gear you name it. We all may not be fond, or familiar, with every game series we hear of and in fact we have our own opinions. So series are sellers some are ridiculous and should have never been created in the first place. So my fellow gamers:

What game series do you think needs/deserve to die?

This could mean not as its a horrible series but the creators have ran out of ideas or even if you just plain dislike the series, which is fine but explain why. Everything should be explained. That means I shouldn't really see one sentence replies does it. That will be counted as spam I'm my eyes. Also please no I HATE *insert series here* BECAUSE I JUST DO. Please explain and absolutely NO flamming each other. Everyone is title to there opinion although its going to break my heart when people say the Sonic series should die ;~;

Have fun ;].

Years
  • For me, I think it would have to be the Crash Bandicoot series. I LOVED the games when Naughty Dog were still making them, but they really dropped in quality after they sold the rights (or lost or whatever, I don't recall the story there). Anyways, there were still a few gems, but the majority of them weren't even a little bit good and I think it's one of those series that unfortunately has ran its course, if it hasn't already ended. I don't see Crash returning to prominence unless Naughty Dog can ever get the rights back.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Games based off movies. Not really a series per se...but it makes up the percentage of the worst games in most cases, so I think they just shouldn't exist. Don't get me wrong, there are a few good games that have come from movies, but more often than that, they're not good by any means.

Also, the Pac-Man World series. Pac-Man belongs in an arcade screen, not in a 3D platformer style. No, no, no. That makes no sense. Neither does the butt bouncing. Big no-no. One of them made Player's Choice if memory serves...and I don't know why.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I think Nintendo should stop whoring out their Mario franchise and kill him off already. That's the only series that I think should actually die despite the series not actually sucking terribly, although still sucking(in general).

Forgot about Sonic before Jake reminded me, they should just kill him already too. Him and his millions of friends.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Sonic the Hedgehog needs to go. Seriously, the second they got off of Sega's consoles they went down hill. The second they started adding races, Shadow, Cream, and <insert character that isn't Tails or Knuckles here>, plus just terrible game quality in general, it just needs to end while it has SOME sense of dignity left.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Pokemon! omg it's been ruined..FOREVER how long now?!

...Spyro...

The games after #3 broke my heart and turned me away from Sony. >=L

Years
  • I think EA Games should stop making more NFS games. They're ruining them more every next year :P. Okay - after NFS Hot Pursuit 2 NFS Underground was pure awesome, same went to NFSU2, Most Wanted is the best from them all, NFS Carbon was quite good, but worse than MW or U2. Pro Street was a failure imo. Undercover? No comments, they ruined the graphics, too fast made. Shift has wonderful graphics, but that's it, gameplay is boring after short period of time. I mean, I love NFS series, but come on, take a 2-3 year distance and make a really good NFS. I hope World Online will be something ;P

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Hmm this is tough because there are so many. I think they should stop making all "mature" games. I think they are ruining the industry.

Years
  • Someone needs to put that wretched blue hedgehog out of his misery. His last decent game was Adventure 2, Sonic Team just doesn't seem capable of making great Sonic games anymore. They always throw in some awful idea like turning him into a werehog (Or Hogwolf, I should say.), or giving him a sword. Sonic 4 is interesting though.

I use to think that the DK series needed to be put to rest, but one fairly recent announcement changed my mind.
    :)

Last edited:

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • Hmm this is tough because there are so many. I think they should stop making all "mature" games. I think they are ruining the industry.

I have to disagree. I personally think that all casual games should burn and make way for Hardcore games, for Hardcore gamers.

All Jokes aside, I'm going to say Pokémon. I honestly think the series has been going downhill since the third generation. I can honestly say there's only been two pokemon releases since G/S/C that have really been worth my attention, and those are Platinum and HG/SS.

However, I'm not saying that the series needs to die off, but I think it needs to reinvent itself.

I think they need to stop focusing on introducing more pokémon and working on something to push the main series further. Some people honestly enjoy Ranger and Mystery Dungeon, But it's just not different enough, and feels gimmicky. As it is, Every pokémon game has been following the same formula for too long and it gets repetitive and boring.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I have to disagree. I personally think that all casual games should burn and make way for Hardcore games, for Hardcore gamers.

All Jokes aside, I'm going to say Pokémon. I honestly think the series has been going downhill since the third generation. I can honestly say there's only been two pokemon releases since G/S/C that have really been worth my attention, and those are Platinum and HG/SS.

However, I'm not saying that the series needs to die off, but I think it needs to reinvent itself.

I think they need to stop focusing on introducing more pokémon and working on something to push the main series further. Some people honestly enjoy Ranger and Mystery Dungeon, But it's just not different enough, and feels gimmicky. As it is, Every pokémon game has been following the same formula for too long and it gets repetitive and boring.

That's part of the entire motivation behind Black and White; apparently there won't be any non-Isshu Pokémon catchable in-game until you get the National Dex, which should provide a fresh experience for newbs, n00bs, and veterans alike.

I personally think that video games based on movies should burn. 99.9% of the time, they suck majorly. Same goes for movies based on video games. Especially Uwe Boll movies.

TheBigMan0706

Monster hunting Snivy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    you might hate me for saying these two, but I think the two series that should die are:

1. Legend of Zelda
    2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Years
  • Hmm this is tough because there are so many. I think they should stop making all "mature" games. I think they are ruining the industry.

Take them away and there is no industry.

Popcorn Arcade (not really a series as such) should be stopped, the Wii is less capable than the other consoles but seriously no need to make the games THAT bad. Most dont even work.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I gotta agree with Sonic and Spyro. There is nothing past Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Spyro: Year of the Dragon. And the poor Banjo-Kazooie series was absolutely brilliant for the first two games, but sadly they're the only ones.

Kind of off-topic but I also wish Nintendo would stop with the fancy gameplay gimmicks that actually ruin otherwise good game ideas.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    you might hate me for saying these two, but I think the two series that should die are:

1. Legend of Zelda
    2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Not to be rude, but I already said EXPLAIN your reasons. If you can't be bothered to explain then its not worth is posting really. Hope I'm not mini moding D: but I like explainations

Sonic the Hedgehog needs to go. Seriously, the second they got off of Sega's consoles they went down hill. The second they started adding races, Shadow, Cream, and <insert character that isn't Tails or Knuckles here>, plus just terrible game quality in general, it just needs to end while it has SOME sense of dignity left.

Hey you left out Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik C:. But fun fact is that Amy and Metal Sonic debuted before Knuckles did actually but I agree the series has been watered down with all these characters. Althought I like most still they were actually pretty unnecessary. And adding in humans O H3|| N0, biggest mistake ever.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Sonic either needs to reinvent himself or he needs to go. The recent Sonic games have abandoned the gameplay elements that made the old Sonic games so fun to play.

Lego <insert random other franchise here> games. Sorry, but if I'm going to play something on our consoles today, with their powerful graphic capabilities, I'm not going to want to play some game with blocky-looking characters, intentional or not. Seriously, what is the point of playing a game with those block Lego people when they can easily make a game where the characters look like they should?

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. The concept of a Pokemon world without trainers is bizarre enough. Add annoying random dungeons, a broken battle system, and a weak storyline that is just an excuse for fetch quests, and it's little wonder that I'm completely baffled that this spin-off franchise is still alive.

And from what I've seen with Black/White, the main Pokemon series has officially jumped the shark with ugly character designs (both trainer and Pokemon), a needlessly complex 3 on 3 battle engine, and restricting access to all the Pokemon we're all comfortable with using.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Someone needs to put that wretched blue hedgehog out of his misery. His last decent game was Adventure 2, Sonic Team just doesn't seem capable of making great Sonic games anymore. They always throw in some awful idea like turning him into a werehog (Or Hogwolf, I should say.), or giving him a sword. Sonic 4 loos interesting though.

I dunno, Sonic COLORS doesn't look too bad either.

But yeah definitely with you, that "Sonic and the (insert stupid premise here)" games were dreadful!

Kind of have a soft spot for sonic heroes too tho...is that bad?

Anyways my suggestion for games that should die is the Phoenix Wright series. No games should have been made past PW3. Apollo Justice can kiss my affidavit!!

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • Someone needs to put that wretched blue hedgehog out of his misery. His last decent game was Adventure 2, Sonic Team just doesn't seem capable of making great Sonic games anymore. They always throw in some awful idea like turning him into a werehog (Or Hogwolf, I should say.), or giving him a sword. Sonic 4 loos interesting though.

I agree.

Dimps on the other hand is a superb developer with the money and intention to make a decent Sonic game with gimmicks that work. n_n

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
  • Killing Mario = Killing Nintendo.

Killing Sonic = Killing SEGA.

The only ones that needs to go are Spyro and Crash. They died along Naughty Dog.

Back