• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Ability Discussion

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
    Actually with SD Ape's power and coverage finding a safe switch in except a counter is hard.
    I never said I CAN'T stop it. I said that it's hard to stop. I'm not such a good player myself, but my brother made me learn a bit and really.. SD Ape owns so much.. It's really strong.

Luvdisc is always stopabble.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Actually with SD Ape's power and coverage finding a safe switch in except a counter is hard.
    I never said I CAN'T stop it. I said that it's hard to stop. I'm not such a good player myself, but my brother made me learn a bit and really.. SD Ape owns so much.. It's really strong.

Luvdisc is always stopabble.

Not with Belly Drum Baton Pass + Flail and...Waterfall or something.

Hydrath

Pokemon Pirate/Water Trainer
    Years
    Pyromaniac - The pokemon's non-fire attacks have a chance to deal additional fire damage.

Piecing Cold - Pokemon's Ice attacks are unaffected by the opponents resistant.

Enrage - Chance on hit, pokemon's defense and special defense stats are lowered and the pokemon's attack and speed stats rises.

Cute and Cuddly - Chance on hit, What hit? it's too cute to hit!

Rainbow strikes - Attacks types resistant to the opposing Pokemon become STAB moves.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Burn: Flash Fire
    Sleep: Sleep Talk

Flash Fire negates damage and raises fire power

i said heal health without the raise in power

you fail.

sleep talk doesnt heal you while you sleep,it allows you to attack while asleep so EPIC FAIL!

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
    I think an ability that works simaliar to FlashFire or WaterAbsorb for Grass-Types should be in order.

Botany-When the user it hit by a Grass-Type move, damage is negated, and users defense (Or Sp.Defense, I can't decide) increases.

Scream-While the user is active, all soundbased moves damage is increased. A possible extra ability for Whismur line.

SweetDreams-When asleep, the user regains health.

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I think an ability that works simaliar to FlashFire or WaterAbsorb for Grass-Types should be in order.

Botany-When the user it hit by a Grass-Type move, damage is negated, and users defense (Or Sp.Defense, I can't decide) increases.

Scream-While the user is active, all soundbased moves damage is increased. A possible extra ability for Whismur line.

SweetDreams-When asleep, the user regains health.

sweet dreams was my idea :P

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    sweet dreams was my idea :P

Sweet Dreams would be a bad idea.

Snorlax's health would like never go down! Rest is the sleep+recover move, with Sweet Dreams Snorlax (imagine WITH leftovers) would be gaining health a lot.

With a Sleeptalk + Return or some other combo it would be even harder to take down :\.

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Sweet Dreams would be a bad idea.

Snorlax's health would like never go down! Rest is the sleep+recover move, with Sweet Dreams Snorlax (imagine WITH leftovers) would be gaining health a lot.

With a Sleeptalk + Return or some other combo it would be even harder to take down :\.

who said snorlax had to get it?

that would mean the only pokemon capable of killin it would be Mantis my Scizor >:]

i was thinkin more along the lines of Whismur line, or a new pokemon like Munna& Musharna
    that focus on sleep/dreams

EDIT: and why does everyone automatically assume that it HAS to be on an older pokemon? this is about abilities NOT about abilities that go to older pokemon,or newer pokemon its called being flexible :P
    plus i HATE snorlax,i got the idea from him, but id NEVER imagine actually puttin it on that accursed tank >.<

GrifSpark

Years
    Yep, but no-one really adapted on it other than it would be a counterpart to Nightmare. Ooh... And another three!

FrostBite-Contact with the user may cause the Freeze conditon.

Solid-Defense cannot be lowered. (Counterpart to HyperCutter and KeenEye)

Dryout-When in Rain, speed is lowered. But when in Sun, speed is increased. (Counterpart to DrySkin, only with Speed rather than HP)

SteelKick-Raises power of all kick-based moves, (Counterpart to IronFist)

I'll post more once I think of them.
    Tally-ho!

that would mean the only pokemon capable of killin it would be Mantis my Scizor >:]

i was thinkin more along the lines of Whismur line, or a new pokemon like Munna& Musharna
    that focus on sleep/dreams

Or my HitmonChan, IronFist ability FTW!

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Yep, but no-one really adapted on it other than it would be a counterpart to Nightmare. Ooh... And another three!

Dryout-When in Rain, speed is lowered. But when in Sun, speed is increased. (Counterpart to DrySkin, only with Speed rather than HP)

I'll post more once I think of them.
    Tally-ho!

i love it XD those are just too cool XD
    especially Frostbite, i could see Froslass havin it >:]

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

i was thinkin more along the lines of Whismur line, or a new pokemon like Munna& Musharna that focus on sleep/dreams

Sleeping is what the Snorlax line does best. Therefore I was using it as an example as to why it's broken.

Munna and it's Evo already HAVE abilities, so they won't be getting any more. Snorlax's however are subject to change.

At the moment I think FrostBite is a bit of a pain... Freeze is such a rare condition and it's the one that is the most hinderant as the Pokémon can't do anything. Perhaps if it raised the chance of Ice-Type moves to freeze instead?

I agree with the idea for Solid however :)

How about an ability that helps regain PP? It would be useful in game for those long explorations or after a string of battles to recover some PP without using items.

"When hit by moves of the same time [as the user] each move gains 1 PP"

Can't think of a name though.

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Sleeping is what the Snorlax line does best. Therefore I was using it as an example as to why it's broken.

Munna and it's Evo already HAVE abilities, so they won't be getting any more. Snorlax's however are subject to change.

How about an ability that helps regain PP? It would be useful in game for those long explorations or after a string of battles to recover some PP without using items.

"When hit by moves of the same time [as the user] each move gains 1 PP"

Can't think of a name though.

of course its broken, so is wonder guard lol

i know,but it would be a great ability for them

thats even more broken especially on kecleon O.o"

but it reminds me of the ability i thoguht for Smeargle:
    Canvas:
    if Sketch fails its PP is refilled, and if sketch is successful, it relearns it if it levels up this battle

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    of course its broken, so is wonder guard lol

i know,but it would be a great ability for them

thats even more broken especially on kecleon O.o"

but it reminds me of the ability i thoguht for Smeargle:
    Canvas:
    if Sketch fails its PP is refilled, and if sketch is successful, it relearns it if it levels up this battle

Excuse me but it can't be broken on Kecleon as his ABILITY is colour change, he can't have both active :P

Smeargle doesn't really need to learn Sketch any more times, but I like the first bit of the ability.

(And wonderguard would only be broken if the Pokémon had only one (or two) weaknesses or a proper amount of health instead of one.)

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Excuse me but it can't be broken on Kecleon as his ABILITY is colour change, he can't have both active :P

Smeargle doesn't really need to learn Sketch any more times, but I like the first bit of the ability.

(And wonderguard would only be broken if the Pokémon had only one (or two) weaknesses or a proper amount of health instead of one.)

ya didnt think that through lol but if he could it would be awesome :P

i know,but it would speed up the learning egg moves,without runnin to the move releaner after every battle :P

Shedinja is broken, cuz i love it :P
    plus how many hackers dont have Wondereye/tomb? lol

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    Photon.
    Electric type moves ignore type matchups.

Dependance.
    IF a move turns critical, half its PP(rounded up) is restored.

Potency.
    Allows poison moves to affect steel types for neutral damage.

Karma.
    Attack is slightly boosted, but if a critical hit is made, HP is lost.

choice guard.
    The user is immune to the first attack used on it until switched out.

the brains..
    Sp.Atk is increased by 20%, and defense lowered by 20%

..the brawn
    Attack is increased by 20%, and Sp.Def lowered by 20%

i cant think of any more

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    ya didnt think that through lol but if he could it would be awesome :P

i know,but it would speed up the learning egg moves,without runnin to the move releaner after every battle :P

Shedinja is broken, cuz i love it :P
    plus how many hackers dont have Wondereye/tomb? lol

I don't think we can include hackers to decide if things are broken XD

True, although at lvl 21 (which if you are breeding and things is probably pretty easy to get to) Smeargle already has 3 Sketchs, but I guess it would make things easier.

It would be nice to see a non-legend have Drizzle or Drought, or maybe a weaker version.

Shower: When the Pokémon enters battle rain starts, lasting for three turns.
    Clear Skies: When the Pokémon enters battle sunlight persists, lasting for three turns.

Photon.
    Electric type moves ignore type matchups. ~ If this means no Super Effective hits also, then this might be ok.

Dependance.
    IF a move turns critical, half its PP(rounded up) is restored. *likes*

Potency.
    Allows poison moves to affect steel types for neutral damage. Poison types do have quite a disadvantage with typings.

Karma.
    Attack is slightly boosted, but if a critical hit is made, HP is lost. Not too sure about this

choice guard.
    The user is immune to the first attack used on it until switched out. Don't like this, it means a free switch in = bad for competitive.

the brains..
    Sp.Atk is increased by 20%, and defense lowered by 20% Seems ok, but I think both defenses should be lowered

..the brawn
    Attack is increased by 20%, and Sp.Def lowered by 20% Same as above

i cant think of any more

Last edited:

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I don't think we can include hackers to decide if things are broken XD

True, although at lvl 21 (which if you are breeding and things is probably pretty easy to get to) Smeargle already has 3 Sketchs, but I guess it would make things easier.

It would be nice to see a non-legend have Drizzle or Drought, or maybe a weaker version.

Shower: When the Pokémon enters battle rain starts, lasting for three turns.
    Clear Skies: When the Pokémon enters battle sunlight persists, lasting for three turns.

can too :P

i use mine at lv10, along with my female cyndaquil at lv10 lol

i agree, i could see lotad using drizzle

Years
    no offense but ur pachee evolution is ugly :(
    i like the flying squirrel idea i saw more <3
    but it doesnt matter to me i just want my pachee to be truly appreicated <3

How is that not offensive? I have never seen a flying squirrel version of Pachi that I remotely liked, so I specifically created it to not be a flying squirrel. Anyway, there is one valid criticism of that pic, and that's that the linework is shaky. I did it with a mouse, and it's convinced me that I need to invest in a tablet.

What..? I don't get it.

Believe me, after that incredibly long post where you bashed everyone's ideas, there's not a single one of us that doubts that.

Anyway, when discussing these new types, you guys gotta remember that any ability given to an inappropriate pokemon could be broken. Wonder Guard is absolutely essential to making Ninjask Shedinja what it is, but the same ability on a Sableye is broken. Adaptability is a great ability for Eevee, making it viable to keep it as a normal type, but giving that move to ANY dragon would be awful. So let's keep things in context.

..........though I admit a Magikarp with Pressure would be really funny.............

Last edited:

GrifSpark

Years
    I'm pretty sure it's Shedinja with WonderGuard, not Ninjask...
    Hold on... Magikarp with WonderGuard, sweet.

Anyways, I've got some more Abilities for you guys! :D

Shade-Powers up Ghost-Type moves when health is below 1/3rd (A counterpart to; Blaze, Torrent, OverGrow and Swarm). Only owned by Ghost Pokemon.

Regret-If the foe uses a negative stat move on the user, the foe is effected by it too. Used mainly by Dark/Ghost-Types.

DoubleTake-Increases the damage of moves that hit more than once per-turn (Eg. FuryAttack, DoubleKick). Primarily owned by Pokemon like Girafarig and Ambipom.

Mirage-Halfs damage from Physical moves inflicted on the user, but doubles damage from Special moves. Primarily owned by Ghost-Types
    *Note* Must think of better name...

As I said earlier, I'll post more as I think of 'em.

Back