• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 20, 2011
    I managed to recreate the Ash/Gary pokemon choosing event into my game. If you are doing a traditional rival that has type advantage over your starter, you need to create 3 rivals in the code (that's what I did) and create 3 rivals in the editor. You then create the team branches in each rival.

I haven't made more that 15 posts so cant add links so here is a condensed view of what I did. This was in an event the player touches when leaving the lab:

That's alot of stuff to take in but I hope it helps.

That's pretty cool, but not what I was looking for (although this code doesn't hurt. I was in the middle of doing this, too).

I need a way to make it so that Gary is there only after a switch is activated. For some reason the "Switch=ON" function isn't working.

I'm thinking of stowing him away on the map, and then adding a player touch event that provided I have a switch on will move the Gary event.

And then I need a way for him to walk away when defeated.

I've been trying for a few days now, but nothing works.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Oh ok. I think i see what you mean. You need two events, the rival and an activator. I have shown it below in the attached images. In this example I have created the Oak stopping you from leaving Pallet Town event. Oak is a blank event on the map and there is an event at the exit.

The picture called tutorial.png shows an example of the events on a map. Oak off.png is a blank event for Professor Oak (this would be the blue event) and oak activate.png is the code to make Oak stop you leaving Pallet (this is in the red event). You activate the character and give it a picture then does what the code says. My example makes him walk and talk, if you want it to battle you you just put the code in there. Remember to turn the red event off after the battle or you will always have a battle when you go to that event.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2009
    How do I get hold items such as the Focus Band to work properly? Do I have to implement them in a way similar to the method detailed in the notes for Pokémon Essentials? If so, can someone explain to me how to do this? I'm not very good with scripting...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2014
    I was wondering how you could make a partner trainer have a shiny Pokémon.
    EDIT: Also, whenever I try to add the partner trainer, I get this error:
    ---------------------------
    Pokémon Sol Version
    Exception: RuntimeError

(eval):4:in `pbExecuteScript'compile error
    (eval):4: syntax error

***Full script:

pbAddDependency2(@event_id, "Sola",2)
    pbRegisterPartner
    PBTrainers::PkMnTRAINER_FEMALE,
    "Sola")

Interpreter:258:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'

Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:190:in `update'

Interpreter:104:in `loop'

Interpreter:195:in `update'

Scene_Map:100:in `update'

Scene_Map:98:in `loop'

Scene_Map:111:in `update'

Scene_Map:67:in `main'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2009
    Since I couldn't find the answer already in this thread I'll ask it here(A)
    I've been trying to map for my pokemon game but when I test I keep running over SOME houses. I really can't seem to find an explanation:S Now I was wondering what's making this happen. I figured layer 1 is can be walked on, layer 2 cant be walked on and you walk under layer 3 but now I'm not entirely sure about that anymore... Does it has to do with the terraintags? If so, what terrain tag should be used for: can be walked on, cant be walked on and walks under? I did erase everything with the upper left 'sprite' and tried again but still no succes...
    I'm really sorry if the question/answer actually is already here but I really couldn't find it(A)
    Thanks in advance!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Since I couldn't find the answer already in this thread I'll ask it here(A)
    I've been trying to map for my pokemon game but when I test I keep running over SOME houses. I really can't seem to find an explanation:S Now I was wondering what's making this happen. I figured layer 1 is can be walked on, layer 2 cant be walked on and you walk under layer 3 but now I'm not entirely sure about that anymore... Does it has to do with the terraintags? If so, what terrain tag should be used for: can be walked on, cant be walked on and walks under? I did erase everything with the upper left 'sprite' and tried again but still no succes...
    I'm really sorry if the question/answer actually is already here but I really couldn't find it(A)
    Thanks in advance!
    There are two aspects to tiles. The first is which layer you put them on. All this means is that one tile is drawn over another tile (e.g. a fence directly behind a house so the roof partially covers it - in this case the bottom layer would be ground, the second layer would be the fence and the third layer would be the roof). Layers are all about how the map looks, not how the tiles behave.

The second aspect is what the tiles do. You can either walk over them (ground), can't walk through them (boulders) or walk under them (house rooves). To get to the place where you change what the tiles do, press F9 and click on the "Tileset" tab.

The two buttons you need to concern yourself with (on the right) are "Passage" and "Priority". With "Passage", an X on a tile means you can't walk through it, and an O means you can. The "Passage (4 dir)" button is an advanced version of this, used for jumpable ledges. The direction an arrow points in is the direction from which you can walk onto that tile. An arrow pointing up means you can walk south onto the tile, but you can't walk north, east or west onto it. But don't worry yourself too much with it.

"Priority" indicates whether a tile is supposed to appear above or below the player. This is only used when you can walk on (under or over) a tile, and is unimportant for tiles you can't walk on at all (e.g. boulders). A dot on a tile means the player can walk over that tile, and is used for ground/grass/water. Click on a tile and you can change the dot to a star with a number next to it. This number indicates the height, if you will, of the object - the higher in the sky that tile is supposed to be, the bigger the number should be. For example, a tower. The base cannot be walked through, but you can walk behind it. The lowest part of the tower that you can walk behind should be *1, then the next highest level should be *2, and so on until you reach the top.

Note that you can put a tile with a high priority onto a lower layer, and then put a tile with a lower priority onto a higher layer. For example, making a bridge over a forest - the tops of the trees have priority *1 so you can walk behind them and are placed on the lowest/second layer, but the bridge itself has zero priority so you can walk over it, and is placed on the top layer.

Be sure to learn the difference between layers and passage/priority. The former is for making a pretty map, and the latter is explaining how the map works (you can't walk through hedges, etc.). Have a play around.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    can someone help me?
    please?
    You have to be more specific. Do you mean a close-up view of the PokéGear appearing on the screen, and lights turning on?

Doing something like this is certainly possible with scripting (the beginning of a pokémon battle is a good example of scripted animation). You just need a lot of pictures for it, and it entirely depends on what you want it to look like and do. No one knows what your PokéGear looks like, so no one can help you.

pokehacker88

The Pokemon Hacker.
    Years
  • How can I make that a event follows the player like in the fisrt script of dpp were the rival follwos the player to go to the lake of verity.??

Thanks

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2021
    You have to be more specific. Do you mean a close-up view of the PokéGear appearing on the screen, and lights turning on?

Doing something like this is certainly possible with scripting (the beginning of a pokémon battle is a good example of scripted animation). You just need a lot of pictures for it, and it entirely depends on what you want it to look like and do. No one knows what your PokéGear looks like, so no one can help you.

that's exactly what i want to do. i just want to know what script to put and where...

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    how i can call scenes using conditionals or script call?? i used $scene = Scene_PokemonPokedexScene.new
    and it doesnt work

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    that's exactly what i want to do. i just want to know what script to put and where...
    At a rough guess, check out PokemonMenu, line 148/149 (or thereabouts). That section only contains one command, which is to turn on the PokeGear. My guess is that you need to put a lot of scripting in that "elsif" section that will make various pictures of the PokéGear and flashing lights show up/zoom in/scroll sideways/whatever you want it to do.

For hints on how to do scrolling/appearing/animating, the start of the battle features all this, with trainers gliding around and throwing Poké Balls and all that. If you can use scripts, have a look in there and copy-paste relevant parts and teak until it does what you want it to. It will be difficult, I'd imagine, though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2021
    At a rough guess, check out PokemonMenu, line 148/149 (or thereabouts). That section only contains one command, which is to turn on the PokeGear. My guess is that you need to put a lot of scripting in that "elsif" section that will make various pictures of the PokéGear and flashing lights show up/zoom in/scroll sideways/whatever you want it to do.

For hints on how to do scrolling/appearing/animating, the start of the battle features all this, with trainers gliding around and throwing Poké Balls and all that. If you can use scripts, have a look in there and copy-paste relevant parts and teak until it does what you want it to. It will be difficult, I'd imagine, though.

i'll try my best.. it's all in the process of trial and error. eventhough i'm not good with ruby , i still can understand it since i know a few about html... thank you by the way

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2014
    How can I make that a event follows the player like in the fisrt script of dpp were the rival follwos the player to go to the lake of verity.??

Thanks

Use the dependant event command, like this:
    Kernel.pbAddDependency2(ID, "XXX", COMMONEVENT)
    where ID is the event's ID number (use @event_id to refer to the current event; to find out an event's ID number, double-click on the event, and the ID will appear on the dialog box shown), "XXX" is an arbitrary name used to identify the event, and COMMONEVENT is the common event number to call when the player talks to the dependent event.

To remove a dependent event, use this script:

Kernel.pbRemoveDependency2("XXX")
    where XXX is the name used in the call to "pbAddDependency2".

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jan 10, 2012
    I've started a game, and so far so good, but I can't make a working bridge. I checked the example on MAP010, and copied the events from there to where I need them, but it doesn't work. The problem is that when I try to go off the bridge after walking on it, I'm stuck:

L|BBBBBBBBBB|L
    L|BBBBBBBBBB|L

I think it'll sound clearer with the above diagram. When I'm on the edge of B and I want to go to L, I'm stuck instead. Do I need any switches for a proper bridge? How do I fix this problem?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2014
    Hmmm . . . that's strange. I don't really know. Oh, and the error with the partner trainer fixed itself, but I'd still like to know how to make a partner trainer have a shiny.

Years
  • Heya, umm i have a baaad problem.
    Whenever i edit pokemon.txt i get an error.
    This can be even if i just open it and save it, to be honest i don't know why i get it,
    but here's the error i get after i compile, after adding the item BERRY to all the scripts and to items.txt.
    Hope someone can help soon, it's important :S

Spoiler:

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • Heya, umm i have a baaad problem.
    Whenever i edit pokemon.txt i get an error.
    This can be even if i just open it and save it, to be honest i don't know why i get it,
    but here's the error i get after i compile, after adding the item BERRY to all the scripts and to items.txt.
    Hope someone can help soon, it's important :S

Spoiler:

Try placing an = sign inbetween WildItemRare and BERRY.

Also, can anyone link a place that has all of the pokemon attack sound effects from any of the gba pokemon games? thx

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back