• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
  • Has anybody else used extendtext.exe and it doesn't work?
    I've used it, but it doesn't do anything to RMXP. Is it maybe just my computer? Not quite sure what's going on here.

Nope, two posts up I mentioned that mine doesn't work either... Unless you didn't mean me with "anyone else" :P

You must first run the dailog box for the script ... like when you type in a script Then it will work.

I tried that, didn't work either...

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Is there any way at all to change the X, Y coordinates of the enemy HP, name, level and gender without directly affecting the player HP, name level and gender? What I mean is when you change the X, Y coordinates for the enemy and player HP, name, etc it affects both of them (aka, you can't move them separately). Very annoying when adding new enemy/player boxes where once you move the HP of the enemy or player, you usually have to edit the graphic of the enemy/player box to fit around the HP, name, etc that was also moved. (x_x, picture included below to sort of show you what I mean. The Player box is in the perfect place, along with HP, name, gender, Lv and HP/HP)
    [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Edit: In essence, what I want to do is move the enemy info to the left without the player info moving as well. (I'm so bad at trying to explain some things x_x)
    If you want to move it all equally, just change the value of @spritebaseX, and then reposition the data boxes.

To move individual parts of the data box, make an "if (@battler.index&1)==0...else" clause, where the "if" part is for the player's version of the data box, and the "else" part is for enemies. For example:

Code:
    if (@battler.index&1)==0
     textpos.push([_INTL("Lv{1}",@battler.level),@spritebaseX+[COLOR=Red]170[/COLOR],@spritebaseY+6,true,base,shadow])
    else
     textpos.push([_INTL("Lv{1}",@battler.level),@spritebaseX+[COLOR=Red]150[/COLOR],@spritebaseY+6,true,base,shadow])
    end
    This example will position the "Lv42" text differently depending on which data box it's in.

I know there are better ways to do this (e.g. defining an offset array at the start with the "if...else", then referring the array in later code), but they're a bit more complicated.

How do u use it? like have the game itself open and it resizes the text?
    When you have the game open in RPG Maker XP (the editor, where you draw the maps and press F11 for scripts, etc.), open an event and then look at a message/script. It will appear in a small window. While this window is open, run extendtext.exe (it'll end immediately - it doesn't need to stay running). When you look back, the small window will be wider.

For the record, it works just fine in Windows 7 x64.

koby1

The M4's Best Freind
    Years
  • I have win 7 works perfect. Maybe you should download the sep 15(Ithink) version can copy + replace the extended text. :)

Years
  • If you want to move it all equally, just change the value of @spritebaseX, and then reposition the data boxes.

To move individual parts of the data box, make an "if (@battler.index&1)==0...else" clause, where the "if" part is for the player's version of the data box, and the "else" part is for enemies. For example:

Code:
    if (@battler.index&1)==0
     textpos.push([_INTL("Lv{1}",@battler.level),@spritebaseX+[COLOR=Red]170[/COLOR],@spritebaseY+6,true,base,shadow])
    else
     textpos.push([_INTL("Lv{1}",@battler.level),@spritebaseX+[COLOR=Red]150[/COLOR],@spritebaseY+6,true,base,shadow])
    end
    This example will position the "Lv42" text differently depending on which data box it's in.

I know there are better ways to do this (e.g. defining an offset array at the start with the "if...else", then referring the array in later code), but they're a bit more complicated.

When you have the game open in RPG Maker XP (the editor, where you draw the maps and press F11 for scripts, etc.), open an event and then look at a message/script. It will appear in a small window. While this window is open, run extendtext.exe (it'll end immediately - it doesn't need to stay running). When you look back, the small window will be wider.

For the record, it works just fine in Windows 7 x64.

Perfect, thanks. But when I try it with HPGAUGE_X / HPGAUGE_Y it won't work. It just throws an error in my face (tried with an "end" and without). I'm guessing there must be a different way to do it, or I need to edit other parts as well...

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • So, I need a little assistance, here.

Pokemon essentials Entry screen seems extremely whiny about the number of rows and columns you have for letters. If I change the number of rows at all, or try to add letters, this happens:
    Code:
    Exception: RuntimeError
    Exception: TypeError
    Message: Section059:1311:in `text_size'cannot convert nil into String
    ***Full script:
    pbTrainerName2

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'
    SpriteWindow:1311:in `pbDrawTextPositions'
    SpriteWindow:1310:in `each'
    SpriteWindow:1310:in `pbDrawTextPositions'
    PokemonNamingScreen:1312:in `pbStartScene'
    PokemonNamingScreen:1301:in `each'
    PokemonNamingScreen:1301:in `pbStartScene'
    PokemonNamingScreen:1591:in `pbStartScreen'
    PokemonNamingScreen:1604:in `pbEnterText'
    PokemonNamingScreen:1601:in `pbFadeOutIn'

Interpreter:274:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'
    Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:191:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:196:in `update'
    Scene_Map:96:in `update'
    Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:107:in `update'
    Scene_Map:63:in `main'
    Does this happen for everyone else? The reason I'm trying is because I'm implementing D/P/PTs naming screen, and I can't do it with this incredibly random bug.

PS: Also, does anyone know where the code making terrain tag 6 show a reflection is stored?

Last edited:

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • How do I display the % of the experience bar. For example the pokemon has 500 exp / 1000
    it would display 50%, and it wont display decimals.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Perfect, thanks. But when I try it with HPGAUGE_X / HPGAUGE_Y it won't work. It just throws an error in my face (tried with an "end" and without). I'm guessing there must be a different way to do it, or I need to edit other parts as well...
    Add in the following just after those lines:

Code:
    hpGaugeX=PokeBattle_Scene::HPGAUGE_X
    hpGaugeY=PokeBattle_Scene::HPGAUGE_Y
    [COLOR=Red]if (@battler.index&1)==0
     hpGaugeX+=[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]20
     hpGaugeY+=[/COLOR][COLOR=Red]5
    end[/COLOR]
    The default numbers are where the enemy HP bars are placed. The additions are for the player's Pokémon.

How do I display the % of the experience bar. For example the pokemon has 500 exp / 1000
    it would display 50%, and it wont display decimals.
    The code you need is:
    Code:
    startexp=PBExperience.pbGetStartExperience(@battler.pokemon.level,growthrate)
    endexp=PBExperience.pbGetStartExperience(@battler.pokemon.level+1,growthrate)
    exppercentage=(@battler.pokemon.exp-startexp)/(endexp-startexp)).floor
    This gives the percentage of the current level's Exp already gained, rounded down.

After that, simply display it as text followed by the percentage symbol.

Has anyone tried running the 'extendtext.exe' in compatibility for Windows XP - if you run Vista or 7?
    It works as is for me - I don't need to mess around with compatibility or anything. I also tried the 5th September version (the one I uploaded), and that also works perfectly as is.

PS: Also, does anyone know where the code making terrain tag 6 show a reflection is stored?
    Spriteset_Map, top of.

Last edited:

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • How do i update the map, When i get a picture so I dont have to go out the map so the picture can update.

EX I want the picture to update in one map itself, and thanks Maruno ill try it now.
    nevermind i fixed it :D

How do I display text like this?

textpos.push([_INTL("{1}%",@battler.pokemon.refreshExpLevel.exppercentage),@spritebaseX+100,@spritebaseY+50,true,base,shadow])

(those are test positions)

Also I am trying to make my game 256x192, but every time I do it the screen size if 240x160 with a border filling the rest.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I'll go one better than that. Behold the 5th September 2010 version of Pokémon Essentials.
    You or Poccil fix when you go to a new map that has the outdoor feature enabled?

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Where exactly does the Enemy picture is disposed, I made the enemy picture move to the right a little but when the enemy pokemon is out the enemy disappears.

Years
  • It's probably because he's run out of money.
    Last time that was the reason, me and a few other people donated to help get his site back up for everyone, but i can't help this time as i'm short myself.

If you really value this kit and want to continue seeing updates, i'd suggest donating to poccil: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=10869447

If about 10 people donate $3 then the site will be able to be up again as i think his hosting is $30 every 3 months.

Last edited:

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2012
    I wish people who actually go back a page to read, poccil said very clearly he's run out on the payments for the site so, if people do what cng said, then everyone would get the kit again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back