• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I've set this tag to puddles, but it still allows me to surf on it. Is there a way to remove the fact that you can use surf on the tiles while still see your reflection?

I was also wandering: How can you start a battle with an opponent's pokemon not at full health??

Tag 6 is for still water, all event will be reflected there, tag 7 is for normal water.

when you set any tile to 6, it's supposed to make it reflective not for surfing.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
  • KingRazor, thanks for helping with my list problem. At first I was a bit confused (I'm awful with non-descriptive variables), and had this sense of almost knowing what it meant... and feeling like there was some simpler thing that should work...

Then I figured out what you were trying to write. And it would be really cool, but it's actually overcomplicated for what I need - but, you pointed me in the right direction. All I need to do is use a script to assign the horribly long list to a game variable (in order to bypass the text box's limitations :) ). I actually don't need a script to compile that list for me, so that's one less thing for me to figure out (and one less long script that might cause lag)!

Should be pretty simple getting this to work, so thank you!

EDIT: Ohgosh, I thanked the wrong person, I feel like such an idiot... How did I even...
    I meant FL. XDXDXDXD

Last edited:

BlackArceus

Trainer-Legende
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elarmasecreta
    I've set this tag to puddles, but it still allows me to surf on it. Is there a way to remove the fact that you can use surf on the tiles while still see your reflection?

I was also wandering: How can you start a battle with an opponent's pokemon not at full health??

Tag 6 is for still water, all event will be reflected there, tag 7 is for normal water.

when you set any tile to 6, it's supposed to make it reflective not for surfing.

_______
    Thnx.
    That functions quite well but you will include the "bug" that you could surf on these tiles. And this is a little bit strange to every player who supposed to walk over the indoor floor instead of surfing on it.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
  • I guess I'll add that you are, in fact (to the best of my knowledge), supposed to be able to surf on tile #6, like you would on the reflective ponds on, for example, ruby and sapphire, rather than to walk on them like the puddles. I think we need a new tile type for puddles... XD

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Alright I think I found the right section of code.

*code*

Unfortunately I'm still very new to Ruby, I still need to get a hang of the syntax.

Now, when the active pokemon levels up, they learn new moves just fine, it's only when a pokemon that levels up while not being the active pokemon that they don't learn new moves.
    It looks like it only checks the active pokemon to see if it needs to learn a new move. I haven't gone deep enough into it to figure all of it out, but it looks like it targets the pokemon returned by the pbFindPlayerBattler(pkmnIndex) method, which checks the active battlers, and only returns one from the player's side. Essentially, it doesn't even look at the player's party to see if the pokemon's atklevel = current level, which is what prompts the move learning sequence. I'll try to get something that works when I get some time.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    ]I get this error when trying to open the PokeGear. Could some tell what this means and how to fix it?
    Code:
    Exception: NoMethodError
    SpriteWindow:2554:in `privRefresh'
    SpriteWindow:2553:in `each'
    SpriteWindow:2553:in `privRefresh'
    SpriteWindow:2251:in `visible='
    PokemonUtilities:1964:in `pbHideVisibleObjects'
    PokemonUtilities:1961:in `each_object'
    PokemonUtilities:1961:in `pbHideVisibleObjects'
    PokemonUtilities:1999:in `pbLoadRpgxpScene'
    PokemonMenu:149:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    PokemonMenu:139:in `loop'
    Could someone answer this?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    Could someone answer this?
    Have you made any changes to the pokegear? I don't have any problem with it opening in my kit, so if you haven't made any edits then I can just give you the one I have (which hasn't been modified).

KingRazor

Pokemon Master Since 1999
    Years
  • It looks like it only checks the active pokemon to see if it needs to learn a new move. I haven't gone deep enough into it to figure all of it out, but it looks like it targets the pokemon returned by the pbFindPlayerBattler(pkmnIndex) method, which checks the active battlers, and only returns one from the player's side. Essentially, it doesn't even look at the player's party to see if the pokemon's atklevel = current level, which is what prompts the move learning sequence. I'll try to get something that works when I get some time.
    Cool thanks for looking into it. Let me know if you figure something out, I'm going to keep reading up on tutorials and see where I can get.

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
  • *sigh* As I had started to suspect... though it's a bit discouraging... I can't use a variable to show my huge choice list because the textbox displays the variable exactly as-is. (In other words, the "ch\*insert rest of code*" shows instead of the choices.) Not surprising, as I said, but pretty discouraging... since I have absolutely no idea how to go about making the thing display choices. XD

To be honest what I'm trying to do is let the player, during character setup, select a favorite Pokémon from a list. It would be used once, during setup, but because of what I'm doing with it it, it would eventually have a pretty big impact on the player's game... So the sooner I can figure out how to get it working, the better.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any help with this.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    *sigh* As I had started to suspect... though it's a bit discouraging... I can't use a variable to show my huge choice list because the textbox displays the variable exactly as-is. (In other words, the "ch\*insert rest of code*" shows instead of the choices.) Not surprising, as I said, but pretty discouraging... since I have absolutely no idea how to go about making the thing display choices. XD

To be honest what I'm trying to do is let the player, during character setup, select a favorite Pokémon from a list. It would be used once, during setup, but because of what I'm doing with it it, it would eventually have a pretty big impact on the player's game... So the sooner I can figure out how to get it working, the better.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any help with this.
    You'll probably find it much easier to do that with a script. I whipped one up that you should be able to use:

Code:
    def pbSelectPokemon(text,variable)
      choices=[
        _INTL("[COLOR=DarkRed]Bulbasaur[/COLOR]"),
        _INTL("[COLOR=DarkRed]Charmander[/COLOR]"),
        _INTL("[COLOR=DarkRed]Squirtle[/COLOR]"),
        _INTL("[COLOR=DarkRed]Pikachu[/COLOR]"),
        _INTL("[COLOR=DarkRed]Mewtwo[/COLOR]")
        ]
      command=Kernel.pbMessage(text,choices,0)
      $game_variables[variable]=command
      if $game_variables[variable]==0
        Kernel.pbMessage("[COLOR=DarkRed]Bulbasaur was chosen[/COLOR]")
        [COLOR=Green]#do something here[/COLOR]
      elsif $game_variables[variable]==1
        Kernel.pbMessage("[COLOR=DarkRed]Charmander was chosen[/COLOR]")
      elsif $game_variables[variable]==2
        Kernel.pbMessage("[COLOR=DarkRed]Squirtle was chosen[/COLOR]")
      elsif $game_variables[variable]==3
        Kernel.pbMessage("[COLOR=DarkRed]Pikachu was chosen[/COLOR]")
      elsif $game_variables[variable]==4
        Kernel.pbMessage("[COLOR=DarkRed]Mewtwo was chosen[/COLOR]")
      end
    end
    To call it, use a script call command in an event like this:

pbSelectPokemon(
    _I("Which one is your favorite?"),XX)

XX is the variable you want to store it in. The portions in green optionally allow you to perform an action in the script. Otherwise, you can just check the value of the variable in an event to perform whatever actions you were wanting to. Any red text portions in " " can be freely edited, and you can add more entries in the choices array (i.e. _INTL("Bulbasaur")), but make sure you add commas too. The script can just be put in a new script section. Or anywhere really as long as it's not in a class.

Would anyone know how to edit the EditorScripts.rxdata file, or rather, its contents? It's not really important, but changes to the PokemonEditor script section are only reflected on the in-game editor, which can leave the out of game editor unusable.

Last edited:

Kaylee Krysteenah Fynch

is rarely here
    Years
  • YES!!! Thank you, KitsuneKouta, that was exactly what I was looking for! :D I have to do some serious eventing before I can test to make sure it's using the variable right (I said earlier - it's a long list. A VERY LONG list), but it's displaying the text and choices just fine! So thank you very much!

EDIT: Got my brain working and tested it by using Squirtle instead of adding all the choices before testing. Then confused myself with an eventing error (copy and pasting can be confusing if you forget something...), finally found out what was going on and fixed it, and the script is doing just what I want it to. So thank you, yet again! :D

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elarmasecreta
    I've set this tag to puddles, but it still allows me to surf on it. Is there a way to remove the fact that you can use surf on the tiles while still see your reflection?

_______
    Thnx.
    That functions quite well but you will include the "bug" that you could surf on these tiles. And this is a little bit strange to every player who supposed to walk over the indoor floor instead of surfing on it.
    You'll need to make a new terrain tag that just shows reflections, then.

Firstly, read up on terrain tags in the wiki. Note that the editor can give tiles any terrain tag at all, not just the ones listed in the table there, so it's easy to just give your puddles terrain tag 14.

As far as I can imagine, all you need to do is edit a single line near the top of Spriteset_Map:

Code:
    if @event.map.terrain_tag(@event.x,nextY)!=6 [COLOR=Red]&& @event.map.terrain_tag(@event.x,nextY)!=14[/COLOR]
    Add the stuff in red. I think that's all you really need to do. If you want other effects, such as changing the battle backgrounds to depict a puddle environment, you'll need to make a few other changes too.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It's not my specialty to rip data for pokémon.txt . The TMs I can do easily. But, if its delay one month or two I try something.
    I already put the pokémon txt in Resource Center.

For more stuff I need help with some questions
    Now I discovery that gen 4 Abilities/Moves/Itens weren't implented on Essentials (I see the PBS and thiks thats working util I tested). There any projects or successfulls trys like http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164404 before stops? Anyone continues this? I need they, especially the Abilities.
    I still need help on this:
    How I can centralize the 160x160 sprites (like raptor)? If I put a 160x160 Sprite I need to put a big BattlerAltitude in all pokémon, and they became a little right positioned.
    If this can work on 192x192, is better.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • For more stuff I need help with some questions
    Now I discovery that gen 4 Abilities/Moves/Itens weren't implented on Essentials (I see the PBS and thiks thats working util I tested).
    Well, so far in my own project I've re-implemented Aqua Ring and Magnet Rise. It took a while to figure it out, but It works.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I already put the pokémon txt in Resource Center.

For more stuff I need help with some questions
    Now I discovery that gen 4 Abilities/Moves/Itens weren't implented on Essentials (I see the PBS and thiks thats working util I tested). There any projects or successfulls trys like http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164404 before stops? Anyone continues this? I need they, especially the Abilities.
    I still need help on this:
    Well, I was able to implement Aqua Ring and Magnet Rise in my own Project. It's not a very complicated procedure, really, you just need to pay close attention to what you're doing and there's a lot to keep in mind.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, I was able to implement Aqua Ring and Magnet Rise in my own Project. It's not a very complicated procedure, really, you just need to pay close attention to what you're doing and there's a lot to keep in mind.
    Some are just variations like Fire Fang and are easy to put, some are more complicate like Trick Room and I think that is bad to put only the easy ones.
    Implement they are time-consuming, especially for testing the bugs with tons of field variations and Abilities that affect they.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back