• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] ROM Hacking Newsletter 2008 | Issue 1 - 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
  • If the ROM Hacking Newsletter were to have a Question of the Week, I would say this:
    What do you think about the Emerald ROM being unstable?

There are a lot of questions regarding it for a lot of hackers out there.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Question of the Week sounds cool to have with the Newsletter though... :)
    and I think the beginner's section/corner sounds cool as well.

anyways, wishing ye for the best of luck with the Newsletter! ;)

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Rom Hacking Newsletter
    Issue 8 - Sunday, 19 October 2008
    Introduction
    Opening words

Errr, its late. And I kinda ran out of time for this so my segments won't be up to scratch. There will also be no reviews this week. Its totally my fault, I knew I would have trouble getting this weeks issue in on time. I should've asked someone else to do it for me. To make up for it, I'll be doing two HOTW reviews and two hack reviews next week.

Enjoy the rest of issue though. We've got a great article by Kawaii. Ten points if you spot a spelling error. An interview with Esmas/Infernal Contraption/Keyris/Keyrin, an all new segment called "Question of the Week" and our first ever map review courtesy of Neti.
    Article by dshayabusa

Hacking News
    Staying current with the rom hacking scene

The Ultimate TileMap Editor

Darthatron has made a thread to get ideas for the ultimate tilemap editor. If you have any suggestions go reply in his thread here.

Map of the Week
    Wind~ has started a new topic for people to vote on the top Map each week in the Map Rating Thread. RHN will start a new segment on this. Be sure to check it out and cast your vote here.

Hack Rating System
    RHN will now follow a standardised rating system similar to that of IGN, ratings and their meanings are described below.
    Spoiler:

Question of the Week
    Same question, different oppinions

"Re-using scripts from the original game"

Ripper
    To be honest, as long as the scripts are used appropriately, I'm not too bothered. There are plenty of decent scripts within both FRLg and RSE and as long as new, original scripts are also in the game I don't see it as much of a problem. Although it it frustrating to see mention of non existent events/locations which are so obviously not original.

Kawaii, Inc.
    I think re-using any script should be avoided at all costs. You can't better yourself by copy & pasting. A prime example is the old man script from Veridian City. The script gets used in many low quality hacks constantly. Even if the text is changed, the script is still easily spotted.

thethethethe
    I'm not a fan of it. I mean, scripting in the Advance Generation games is almost compulsory nowadays and talking scripts are so simple. You only need to write like 6-7 lines of a script for a simple talking event, and once you've written one all you need to do is edit the text from there on. It's not like it's asking for some amazing ASM feature.

Map Review
    Maps in review

Map Name: (Dont know, awaiting reply from Satoshi Sugimori)
    Creator: Satoshi Sugimori
    Game: FireRed (edited)
    Rating: 8.7/10
    Mapshot: http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p.../starttown.png

When i first looked at this map I was wondering how it could win the "Map of the Week"-Award, becuase I was turned off by its palettes. But Palettes should not get into the Map-Rating, so I had a closer look at it and saw really neat details that I had not seen on a map before.

Regarding the number of houses and the quite atmosphere, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a starter Town. Therefor it's kinda big, but I like that fact and it is necessary to create that nice shape with the different mountain levels and the river. The river, by the way, is my favourite detail of this map. The fact that makes it so stunning is that it follows exactly the path of the mountains, what most people would call unnatural. But when looking at a map you always have to imagine it being a real place and you are in it. Now imagine you are standing on the bridge at the right and look down the river to the right: What a nice view!
    But still you have some tile Errors at certain edges, I know theyre hard to fix (I experienced that my self), because there is no tile for that and you cant create one with just the block editor.

But the river also causes some logical problems:
    1. Where does all the Water come from? I dont see no source.
    2. Where does the water end up at the part behind the house in the bottom left? The Waterfall there brings more and more water down there, but the pond is not getting bigger...

Lets get away from the river and take a look at some other things, for example the mountains:
    Overall theyre in a good shape, even though you could have rounded them a bit more at some places.
    Aother thingg I dislike about them is the part with the waterfall at the left, it's very symetrical.
    The trees give the map a nice shape, but why did you place them in rows? I can see taht you have tiles to create diagonal rows of trees, so why didnt you use them at the borders?
    Anyway, you used a good mixture of small and big trees, what gives a more natural feeling to the map as well.
    Also, If you on the tile before thee small tree right of the lab, you will see a border error.
    The amount of flowers is correct as well I think, but you could have spread them a bit more all over the map instead of just placing them at the borders of the path.
    But what happened to the rocks? Even though you dont need a lot of them in a town like that, you should have placed 1 or two at least to make it look better. You could have added some to the bottom center area with it which appears a bit empty to me.

Thats it about the natural things, but what about the paths and fences?
    The paths are placed good, I have nothing to complain about there. They are not straight and end at some places which looks neat.
    There is not mcuh to say about the fence, it just looks good, except fo one thing: There is a tile error left of where the fence goes between two trees.

That's it, all those things I marked out as good things create a very natural feeling, whats the biggest plus of this map and the reason why I chose it.
    Take the things I critisized as pieces of advice and work on them.

P.S.: From now on there will always be the "Map of the Week" Winner reviewed. So dont send me maps anymore.
    Article by Neti

Grammatical Hacking:
    A Public Service Announcement
    The Rom Hacking scene in perspective

As a few of you know, I have a pet peeve. My pet peeve is improper grammar usage, and I'm sure I'm not alone. In fact, I know I'm not alone. For example, look at the more popular hacks in the "Hacks Showcase". Hacks such as Shiny Gold, Genesis, and Rescue Rangers contain very few (if any) grammatical mistakes. There are quite a few hacks, on the other hand, that use "Internet jargon" in hacks and seem popular, having five or six pages. These hacks tend to be lower quality, and do bad in any other category classifiable to a hack. In fact, if you take the time to look at these threads (which I wouldn't recommend), many of the comments are criticism.

There is an exception to the rule of bad grammar=bad hack. Spanish translated hacks, or foreign hacks in general, are prime examples. In many cases, you'll see a hack in Spanish and think it looks great (mainly because of the graphics)! Then, the game gets translated, which excites you because now, you'll know what's happening during the story. When you finally get the chance to play it, you find the grammar and word usage is atrocious and you can't understand what's happening at all! I feel sorry for the original creators of these hacks. In most cases, they're approached by someone claiming, "I can translate that for you, if you want!" and it sounds like a great idea. Then the "translator" (and I use that word loosely) plugs the scripts into BabelFish or GoogleTranslate and copy & pastes away. You'd think the "translator" would at least have the common courtesy to edit a few words to make it sensical English, but this isn't usually the case. ҳ̸ҲRichie's "Never Black & White" is the only example I can think of where the translation is literate (I suggest you all take a look at his thread). In any case, even when playing translated hacks, grammar is important.

Now, onto my address to you readers. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is annoyed by grammar mistakes. In fact, I know I'm not the only one. Deokishisu's thread, "The Ultimate Turnoff-What You Don't Want to See in a Hack" features grammar as #1 in his list, a list made from the responses of you who replied to his thread (even though he stated the list is in no particular order, I'm trying to stress a point). Voice your opinions, people! Tell the creators of such nonsensical hacks how you feel. In fact, don't tell them! Don't say anything at all! Many of the culprits of bad grammar are only hacking for the recognition. Don't let them have the satisfaction of a thread with many comments and views. Maybe then, they'll get it in their head that grammar is important. So, tell us what you think about grammar in a hack! Is it a big deal to you? Will you take my advice in denying the satisfaction of a popular thread? If so, spread the word!
    Article by Kawaii, Inc.

Tips and Tricks
    A cool new trick that you may not have known about

We'll be carrying on from last weeks issue. I made a bit of a mistake in it. You weren't supposed to do the tiling yet. Theres still a bit more to do before.

Palletes
    Spoiler:

Tiling
    Spoiler:

Inserting
    Spoiler:

Tip donated by dshayabusa

Interview
    An in-depth chat with...
    Spoiler:
    Interview by thethethethe

Closing Notes
    Some house keeping

Err, yeah. Next week will be better thats a promise. We'll have a new segment too "Beginner's Corner" (thanks to EarthsVisitor for the idea as well as "Question of the Week").
    Closing by dshayabusa
    CSS design and graphics by dshayabusa. Ask for permission if you want to use them!

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    about the Question of the Week, you should have included the question and then the answers...
    at first I thought the question was about the current hacker's style in scripting, and when I read the second, I then knew it was about recycling old script events in the game... :\

well, anyways, I understand that you are busy, so ya don't need to apologize for a short newsletter today. :)

also, the grammar is one of the important things in hacking...
    but each of us differ in personality, style, etc, which sometimes conflicts with other's 'correct' way of what grammar should be...
    I agree about the translators thingy, but I guess not all are 'copy-pasters'...

as always, best of luck~

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    about the Question of the Week, you should have included the question and then the answers...
    at first I thought the question was about the current hacker's style in scripting, and when I read the second, I then knew it was about recycling old script events in the game... :\

well, anyways, I understand that you are busy, so ya don't need to apologize for a short newsletter today. :)

as always, best of luck~

Thanks for that. Theres probably like 10 more mistakes in there :S

Years
  • Lolz I liked it it was a bit empty (A) but still neat job I couldn't myself do that every week XD And I kinda liked the review of my map :P
    And I do agree with the grammar thing because you always need to have neat understandable english in it and no internet slang.. But if you make a few mistakes it isn't so bad nobody is perfect :P

Well BOL!

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
    Years
  • I FOUND A FEW GRAMMAR ERRORS!! WHERE'S MY TEN POINTS?

Uh-ohs! The map image is broken!! Anyway, I thought it was funny how you talked about a shorter issue, then went on to describe two new segments and an article. =)
    Hopefully people will figure out the fact that you're busy and if there's no review, they'll just have to deal! Myself taking three or so weeks to finally write a decent article is a prime example of busy. Don't worry, you'll see more from me.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
    Years
  • I'm not sure about the newsletter this week, it was pretty good.
    Too bad you didn't include the "I have to eat breakfast" in the interview. XD

Also, the "Map Review" category's map image does not show up.

Lastly, "palletes" is spelled palettes.

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • The Maphsot got removed from photobucket i think
    i didnt uplaod it, just copied the image url from a pm i got, and in that pm the image worked

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
    Years
  • Oh, despite the fact that reviews are missing this week, it's very good as always, I like the interview, a good job of thethethethe as usual.
    It will be interesting that you look up to some old hacks. Maybe a "Hack Graveyard" section or something.
    Also, take a look to the old hacks that aren't stopped ;)

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Okay first off, I get ten points. It's Viridian not Veridian. Second, haha, I love how you say it's going to be a short issue, but it's actually just as long, with the two new segments:P I liked the question of the week, it was a great idea! I also agree with MOST of the feelings in that segment. I like the idea of the map review, it's great! Except the missing link... I have to say, I completely agree with Kawaii, the grammer in hacks these days is atrocious, and it needs to be fixed. I mean, how hard is it to spell a word right? If you don't know how to spell it just look it up, there are many online dictionaries at your disposal. Yes, the tips and tricks is finished! Haha, but yes, I'm sure many hackers are pleased about that segment being finished. The interview was pretty good this week as well, I guess that's what to expect from Thethethethe! You don't have to apologize about the newsletter, I understand you are busy, and I'm looking forward to next week's issue! Well, BOL!

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    To be honnest, this Weeks version was pretty bad, I got confussed at the qustien, I solved the qustien, but first I thought it were "riper", Could you write the qoustien in the top next time?

The interwiuw was nither as good as else?

Tips sound more like a guide`?
    I've edited it, I just forgot to write the question in. I have no idea what you're trying to say about the interview. And I don't see whats wrong with the tip.

I'm not sure about the newsletter this week, it was pretty good.
    Too bad you didn't include the "I have to eat breakfast" in the interview. XD

Also, the "Map Review" category's map image does not show up.

Lastly, "palletes" is spelled palettes.
    Oh gawd, I've always written it as "palletes". Ah well, now I know. :D

"BAG" is spelled "BG"....
    What?

The Maphsot got removed from photobucket i think
    i didnt uplaod it, just copied the image url from a pm i got, and in that pm the image worked
    Yeah I see what the problem is now, you didn't copy the entire URL.

Oh, despite the fact that reviews are missing this week, it's very good as always, I like the interview, a good job of thethethethe as usual.
    It will be interesting that you look up to some old hacks. Maybe a "Hack Graveyard" section or something.
    Also, take a look to the old hacks that aren't stopped ;)
    I don't really see the point in reporting about hacks that were never completed.

Well here's the missing link but now a good one don't know why the other one didn't work...
    Welll here it is..
    Spoiler:
    Thanks, I've fixed it now.

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
    Years
  • I don't really see the point in reporting about hacks that were never completed.
    If it's that you just can report Quartz and the Ruby Destiny series. I haven't heard of any other completed hack.
    Any way, I see usually in Gaming Magazines a section like that, where they report about SNES or NES games.
    And, you never know when someone can come back. All hacks with betas are worth reporting, in my humble opinion.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    If it's that you just can report Quartz and the Ruby Destiny series. I haven't heard of any other completed hack.
    Any way, I see usually in Gaming Magazines a section like that, where they report about SNES or NES games.
    And, you never know when someone can come back. All hacks with betas are worth reporting, in my humble opinion.

Good point. You may see that in some future issues but I don't think it'll be happening weekly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back