• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
Years
  • Well it sounds like a glitch...

You would have to find the overworld palette using an emulator then find the palette in hex and change it in there.

can anybody get me a tutorial for doing this? i havent done anything like this before

edit
    thanks for the answer Blazichu!
    i just need to know how to do that now :P

Last edited:

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • can anybody link me a tutorial for edting the start screen so it says what i want rather than pokemon gold?

also, can anybody tell me how to edit the credits at the end of the game so i can include anybody that helps with any hacks i make? :)

peace out,
    bigsteve

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    can anybody link me a tutorial for edting the start screen so it says what i want rather than pokemon gold?
    There's a patch that decompresses the title screen. I can't find it on my hard drive, but you can look around.
    also, can anybody tell me how to edit the credits at the end of the game so i can include anybody that helps with any hacks i make? :)
    Should be easily done with a hex editor and table file: just search for a name that's in the credits and there you go.

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • There's a patch that decompresses the title screen. I can't find it on my hard drive, but you can look around.Should be easily done with a hex editor and table file: just search for a name that's in the credits and there you go.

what's the patch called?
    and ill get to the credit editing when i get to that point in a hack :)

still need to find which bits to edit in the hex editor to make Hiro sprite go blue...

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    It seems I did have the patch. Here it is.
    bigsteve said:
    still need to find which bits to edit in the hex editor to make Hiro sprite go blue...
    B8EE-B8F5 is the hex for the player's palette. Note that this changes the colors of the palette, not which palette is loaded -- thus any other character with the same palette would have their colors changed as well. There should be some way to change which palette is loaded; I'll see what I can find.

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • It seems I did have the patch. Here it is.B8EE-B8F5 is the hex for the player's palette. Note that this changes the colors of the palette, not which palette is loaded -- thus any other character with the same palette would have their colors changed as well. There should be some way to change which palette is loaded; I'll see what I can find.

thanks man, now i have a bit of a better idea what to do :)

fade101

I rawr youu!!
    Years
  • hey dudes, i got a dumb question here... i kinda downloaded the blue sea pokemon thingy and like how do i play it? do i need some sorta programme to run it??

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • hey dudes, i got a dumb question here... i kinda downloaded the blue sea pokemon thingy and like how do i play it? do i need some sorta programme to run it??

this is a hacking quick questions program, not for emulation

but google visual Boy Advance and you should get the program you need.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2019
    could somebody give me the offsets for a cuttable tree, a rock smash rock and a strength rock, please.

EDIT:
    actually, found it already, sorry.

Last edited:

fade101

I rawr youu!!
    Years
  • THANKS

this is a hacking quick questions program, not for emulation

but google visual Boy Advance and you should get the program you need.
    Awesome, thanks dude... Im kinda lost here hehehe... i mean hacking? emulation? i dont really understand but i'll try LOL...

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • ok guys i need a few things now to help me progress with my crappy gold hack that im using to teach myself everything i need

1) how do i make it so when i change the colours only my main character goes blue (for example)? when i do it by hex editing the palette everything using the same red as the Hiro sprite becomes that colour e.g. mom, pokeballs (overworld), items,

2) how can i remove the animation from the title screen? i have removed the sparkles and the moving picture of hooh, but how do i stop it from making anything i put in its place move?

3) where can i get trainer battle customizer?

4) is there a patch to decompress more of the pokemon gold tileset (e.g. the bit where ho oh is) other than the bit that decompresses the title screen

linkandzelda

Ex-rom hacker turned indie game developer
    Years
  • hello. does anybody know how to repoint anything manuelly in a hex editor?

thanks in advance
    link

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    1) how do i make it so when i change the colours only my main character goes blue (for example)? when i do it by hex editing the palette everything using the same red as the Hiro sprite becomes that colour e.g. mom, pokeballs (overworld), items,
    I've been looking but haven't found a way to load variable palettes yet. It's definitely possible though, Koolboyman's Pokemon Prism does it.
    3) where can i get trainer battle customizer?
    I don't know of one offhand. It's not hard to do it in a hex editor, though. Just find the trainer's name, and immediately following it will be a control code from 00 to 03. The structure depends on the control code:

[00]
    [Level] [Pokemon] (up to 6 times)
    [FF]

[01]
    [Level] [Pokemon] [Attack1] [Attack2] [Attack3] [Attack4] (up to 6 times)
    [FF]

[02]
    [Level] [Pokemon] [Item] (up to 6 times)
    [FF]

[03]
    [Level] [Pokemon] [Item] [Attack1] [Attack2] [Attack3] [Attack4] (up to 6 times)
    [FF]
    2) how can i remove the animation from the title screen? i have removed the sparkles and the moving picture of hooh, but how do i stop it from making anything i put in its place move?

4) is there a patch to decompress more of the pokemon gold tileset (e.g. the bit where ho oh is) other than the bit that decompresses the title screen
    It's easiest to modify the title screen with assembly -- you can kill the sparkles by NOP'ing the pointers to the various parts of the title screen. If you don't know assembly then it might be more difficult.

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • I've been looking but haven't found a way to load variable palettes yet. It's definitely possible though, Koolboyman's Pokemon Prism does it.
    [FF]It's easiest to modify the title screen with assembly -- you can kill the sparkles by NOP'ing the pointers to the various parts of the title screen. If you don't know assembly then it might be more difficult.

I've PMed CBM in the hope of finding out
    assembly is ASM right?
    what app do you use for that (if any) and can you link tutorials for me? you wopuldnt believe the crap google gave me when i looked -.-

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    assembly is ASM right?
    what app do you use for that (if any) and can you link tutorials for me? you wopuldnt believe the crap google gave me when i looked -.-
    Assembly is really simple to learn, especially if you already know pointers. I do most of my ASM hacking with a list of opcodes and a hex editor. A fairly good tutorial on the subject is ASMSchool, and RHDN has a list of opcodes. You'll also want the pandocs as a reference.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back