• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Are they Legendary Dogs or Cats... or Gerbils?

What kind of animal are Entei, Suicune, and Raikou?

• Cats

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Gerbils

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Dogs

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in thread)

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Red Chain

Each of them share characteristics with dogs, as well as cats.
    Raikou resembles a cat almost completely as mentioned above.
    Entei's bulky build reminds me of a large dog and yet it's mane is much like a lion's.
    Suicune's build is very slender and agile like a cat, while it's muzzle resembles more of a dog's.

So Entei and Suicune to me are like cat-dog hybrids.. and Raikou is a saber.

Years
  • *rolls eyes* Oh boy, here we go again...

Entei = Lion St. Bernard (look it up)
    Raikou = Tiger
    Suicune = Neither
    Fixed.

I'm not saying that they should be called Legendary Dogs either, but even if we were to agree on Entei being a lion (>_<), Suicune looks completely different from both of them. Regardless, you can't really put them all in one category, so yeah, 'legendary beasts' is what I use to avoid offending people. :P

Oh by the way, here's the dex entry for Entei from the original Gold version:

Volcanoes erupt when it barks. Unable to restrain its extreme power, it races headlong across the land.

Last I checked, cats don't bark.

Last edited:

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Suicune is obviously a wolf, last I checked, a cheetah didn't have that type of snout, Raikou is obviously a cat (what dog do you know of that has that sort of posture?), while Entei...It has both canine and feline features, so it's difficult to tell...

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2010
    Last I checked, cats don't bark.
    Last I checked they don't breathe fire either.

Anyway, simple fact is they are based on both dogs and cats. Anyone who says they're one or other needs to remember that they're pokemon, not real life animals, they are fully capable of being a mix.

Pokemonaholic

(>'-')>
    Years
  • I call them legendary dogs, but I think they're mixed. Suicune looks like a dog, Entei looks like some sort of dog/cat mixture, and Raiku looks pure cat.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • I've always called them the Legendary Dogs, but I guess logic would say they are far closer to cats. Only Suicune doesn't have feline features, and it's not much closer to being a dog.

So, for the sake of old habits, I voted Legendary Dogs, but if I sat back and thought about it, I would probably change my mind.

Years
  • Well, I'm stuck in my old-not-making-any-sense ways and call them Legendary Dogs. But that's because as a kid, I heard Suicune in the movie with Celebi and thought "that is not a cat"... I could go either way, it's just out of habit that I think of them as dogs. :>

Also, I think of them as dog-cat hybrids.. like so:

Entei: Flat Face of a cat, bulky and moves like a dog.
    Raikou: Face of a sabertooth cat, also sort of bulky and moves like a dog.
    Suicune: Dog like face, moves very smoothly and cat-like..

-shrug- that's what I think..

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • Houndoom19 makes a good point that I want to elaborate on. They're not dogs or cats. However, they're not "a mix" either. They're Pokémon. They aren't supposed to resemble any specific real-life animals. If you want a term to use to refer to all 3 collectively, they are the Legendary Beasts.

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    Suicune is obviously a wolf, last I checked, a cheetah didn't have that type of snout, Raikou is obviously a cat (what dog do you know of that has that sort of posture?), while Entei...It has both canine and feline features, so it's difficult to tell...

I agree with this. Even though I've always called them "Legendary Dogs", Suicune is obviously based off of a wolf, and Raikou is easily a sabretooth... but Entei seems like a lion/dog hybrid. But Houndoom19 makes a good point too... They're Pokemon for Pete's sake! Why must we classify them?!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I've always called them dogs, but I'm not sure what they are. Perhaps they're capibaras?

R3D

"TAKEN DOWN ON THE WORD GO!"
    Years
  • Herp derp cats derp!
    Seriously is this a serious question? I mean the pokedex calls them dogs...

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • Herp derp cats derp!
    Seriously is this a serious question? I mean the pokedex calls them dogs...

No it doesn't. None of their entries in any games call them dogs. The closest thing to that is one of Entei's entries which says it barks. Barking does not a dog make.

They are Pokémon, why must we compare them to real animals?

Back