• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ARE YOU ASHAMED OR EMBARASSED?

Pokemon Princess

Ash Roxs!Gotta Problem With It
    Years
    Well I no one in my class knew that I liked Pokemon. But one day I told some boys that i liked Pokemon (dont ask why). And they told some other boys. But its still kinda a secret. But I got really embaressed. But I still love Pokemon! No matter what!

Blazekick doom

#1 Pokemon Master
    Years
    I AM NOT ASHAMED OR EMBARASSED THAT I LOVE POKEMON STILL. Heck I go ot Hot Topic and buy myself Pokemon accesories. If I could I would love to be in Pokemon myself. It's better than doing drugs or anything like that. At least we like things that keep us from trouble.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    I don't even really play the games any more, but even last year in year 9 (when I was 13/14) I did not tell anyone, because I know how I would be labelled and I don't want to be one of the manga 'losers' at my school who hang around in the library discussing pokemon and writing about it. Sorry, but that's the way it works at my school. This is in England, but I am half-German and spend some time there and lots of people watch Pokemon and play the games, so I am not embarrassed when I am there and discuss it openly with friends.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I dont think this is the right advice, i also feel that this should be said-

OKay PC...we ALL play pokemon..so what?? Its just another game that people like to play, i mean seriously lol. People may laugh and make fun of you of course, but i remember in 10th grade i was in the wrestling locker room and my game falls out and everyone finds out. And you know what i did?? I laughed along...because it is stupid lmao. I was all "Yea man, it's funny. Pokemanz FTW!!" when someone called me immature for playing it. I was so ok with it, that people started to accept me for it. The next thing i know, my ENTIRE wrestling team is playing their old red/blue versions on the way to an away meet. Sure they all called their charmanders and squirtles "Yo MAMA" or "Treehugga" and other dumb stuff, but you just have to laugh at how RIDICOLOUS even MAKING FUN of it is.

And ALSO something i wanted to get at, for those people that play it alot like i do, then it's a part of you, whether that makes sense or not. The game teaches us about raising and prepping and determination and persistance(breeding) and all of that. You JUST HAVE TO ACT YOURSELVES WITH IT honestly for god's sake it is a little game, oh my gosh if people say something about it so what?? Laugh it off like i did and sooner or later they'll either drop it, forget it, or just accept it i mean really the kind of disses i've heard towards this game haven't been too bad anyway all i hear is "Aww geez man he playz POKEMANZ whata loser L-O-LZZZZ" and that's the worse i've heard. Tough break huh? lol

Oh, and about that girlfriend thing, i have a bunchload of yugioh cards and pokemon games lying around my room, and i've been together with her for...oh i dunno bout a year or so, and things are only STARTING to look better for us. I mean sure ill admit she thought it was dumb at first but i was like "Hey well i bet you'd like Togepi. It's like you only in a nutshell" XDD lol good times...

And also through my coolness and me being calm with dealing of all the stupid stuff at school i've even inspired some people to play it with me. Down at my local gamestop 1/4 of the people go there are people from my school. Sure, they dont play it as much as i do, but they sure as HECK look to me for any pokemon info. We also do other stuff but it all branched from pokemon...

And with everything i've said above, every paragraph has one similarity- BEING YOURSELF you will get SO far in life being yourself it's not even funny, no matter how hurtful, painful, or bumpy the road of life yours is. Because in the end, there will ALWAYS be a light in the darkness, and that light just takes time, and the best way to get there is to just act cool about the game, don't make it a big deal (because seriously...it isn't) and just enjoy life =D

That was... an inspirational post. Yes, inspirational, I said. >_<

I've always kinda tried to cover it up and not really mention it, but people picked up and just didn't say much about it pretty much whenever I pulled out my notebook and drew in a public setting (and I draw A LOT at school). Now that I've moved away from that same school though, I might be able to be a bit more open about it at my new school.

It's not really that big of a deal to play a video game or watch a TV show. If anyone says it is, then they are the immature ones for actually giving a crap and judging you for it. Sure, it's admittedly embarassing because of how people think of Pokemon, but if you're a fan you probably know that liking Pokemon does not mean you're immature, childish, nerdy, or "gay". It just means you're into something that most people aren't. If someone has a problem with it, they should get over it and stop trying to seem cool by insulting someone else just for liking Pokemon.

Phillip Valerius

Velvet Hammer
    Years
    While I agree with the primary message of Mudkip's post (be yourself, and get a thick skin), one has to be careful not to take it too far. It's egotistical to say that "being myself is more important than other people's happiness!" and it's arrogant to say that "The way other people feel is irrelevant! I'm going to act exactly the way I want to, and if that bothers them, too bad! They're inferior to me for not liking the way I act!"

I think one should accept oneself the way he is, and act according to his principles. He shouldn't let other people's opinions affect the way he feels about himself (although the idea that thick skin can curb rejection is a myth; rejection hurts you no matter who you are), or how he behaves. However, he should recognize that he has to live with people his entire life, and more importantly, they have to live with him. We're all in this together, and so we should make it as easy on each other as we can. That means taking into consideration what modes of behavior will make other people most comfortable, what makes a person the most fun to be around. If I started picking my nose in front of everyone because I enjoyed doing it, they would have grounds for reproach, wouldn't they? Consideration for other people should be, in my opinion, held with at least equal regard as individuality.

Again, I don't disagree with mudkip. Pokemon is a silly thing to get worked up over, and we shouldn't be so peer-paralyzed that we hide it. Insults are petty things that don't matter. I'm only saying that we should remember that those "petty idiots" who make fun of us are people too, with their own lives, their own stories, their own insecurities and desires, and we should recognize them as such. We should never consider anyone as inferior, and we should never use "I'm just being myself!" as an excuse to behave in a way that hurts someone else, or makes life more difficult for them.

Darkhaven3

Jackass
    Years
    People that know I like Pokemon don't care. People who also know I'm a furry think I'm a disgusting freak. People who also know I'm gay think I'm a dredge of humanity. I don't really care any way you cut it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    While I agree with the primary message of Mudkip's post (be yourself, and get a thick skin), one has to be careful not to take it too far. It's egotistical to say that "being myself is more important than other people's happiness!" and it's arrogant to say that "The way other people feel is irrelevant! I'm going to act exactly the way I want to, and if that bothers them, too bad! They're inferior to me for not liking the way I act!"

I think one should accept oneself the way he is, and act according to his principles. He shouldn't let other people's opinions affect the way he feels about himself (although the idea that thick skin can curb rejection is a myth; rejection hurts you no matter who you are), or how he behaves. However, he should recognize that he has to live with people his entire life, and more importantly, they have to live with him. We're all in this together, and so we should make it as easy on each other as we can. That means taking into consideration what modes of behavior will make other people most comfortable, what makes a person the most fun to be around. If I started picking my nose in front of everyone because I enjoyed doing it, they would have grounds for reproach, wouldn't they? Consideration for other people should be, in my opinion, held with at least equal regard as individuality.

Again, I don't disagree with mudkip. Pokemon is a silly thing to get worked up over, and we shouldn't be so peer-paralyzed that we hide it. Insults are petty things that don't matter. I'm only saying that we should remember that those "petty idiots" who make fun of us are people too, with their own lives, their own stories, their own insecurities and desires, and we should recognize them as such. We should never consider anyone as inferior, and we should never use "I'm just being myself!" as an excuse to behave in a way that hurts someone else, or makes life more difficult for them.

Oh, (if you're referring to my post, that is; if not... well, I still mean what I'm saying in this post) I never meant anything that way. I'm just trying to say that it shouldn't matter what other people think about me when it comes to something as unimportant as Pokemon. I didn't try to say I'd go out of my way to bother or prove anyone wrong; I just meant if they try to bother someone for liking Pokemon, it really shouldn't be a big deal, and neither person involved should really care. That's all.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021

yup i agree with everything here too.

Jabunks

Currently Inactive
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    I don't recognize pokemon as a childish game, its a popular RPG
    I once wore a pokemon hat at school just to be different

Masterleaguegurlx

Envee darlin' :) x
    Years
    Youu are all insprirational..
    I mean Truly- youu really are :)
    I told some of my friends earlier today and kinda made it into a joke and shrugged it off when they gave me wierd looks. I just said 'I shouuld be shot really, but youu gotta admit pokemon is for COOLKIDS only ;)'.
    They said no more.
    So its up to youu wherher youu want to spill or not but just make sure that youur not trying to be some one youur not in the process. It wont make youu happy. Trust me. I know.

starmii3

Pokemon Ranger
    Years
    Im not ashamed! Why would I be? If someone ask's if I like Pokemon, then that means they probably some-what like it to. I know alot of people who like it as do I, and I know that they had some feeling for it before also. Also, Why care what other people think. People can be such jerks some times, but as long as you enjoy it, it shouldnt matter to them.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    ARE YOU ASHAMED OR EMBARASSED THAT PEOPLE KNOW THAT YOU LIKE POKEMON, OR THEY SAY ITS BABYISH?
    FOR ME IM NOT, EVERYBODY KNOWS I LIKE POKEMON IN SCHOOL(I STARTED IT ANYWAY)I LOVE POKEMON WHO CARES WHAT THEY SAY & IM PROUD OF IT!!!!!!^_^"!

How did a thread that's starter post was that get so popular?

Phillip Valerius is officially my favourite new member. Beautiful post, my friend. Beautiful post.

I can't really relate though because the only two people in real life that know I like Pokemon are my two friends that also like Pokemon, so we don't really slag each other.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    I feel embarrassed sometimes, and sometimes I go "wtf" at the base idea of trapping animals and forcing them to fight.

But I love pokemon, it's been a main part of my childhood and I won't let anyone put me down for it.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    I feel embarrassed sometimes, and sometimes I go "wtf" at the base idea of trapping animals and forcing them to fight.

But I love pokemon, it's been a main part of my childhood and I won't let anyone put me down for it.

i understand what you really wanna say, i feel the same waty too!^_^"!

JollyRoger25

Dark Type Master
    Years
    No more, no more shame. I LOVE POKEMON, THE GAMES, THE ANIME, THE MOVIES, AND IF ANYBODY HAS A PROBLEM WITH IT THEY CAN JUST SHOVE IT!!!!!!! <just yelled that in his own house with the windows open> Thaaaats right!!!!

Ayu-Chann

Futuba/Twinleafshipper. :D
    Years
    Well, not really. ^_^;

In the last day of school I brought my DS and showed everyone my pokemon team. They even gave me advice on how to improve them because they beat me. >.< So, they don't really care because they're big pokemon fans too. =D

Back