• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you more vulgar in person or online?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    What the title says.

I'm privy to a profanity or two on the internet when the situation calls for it but offline I've a nasty vocabulary with very little in the way of censorship (absolutely no slurs though, and never directed at any person). I don't know why, I've just always cussed and been crude with my language.. but online I find it much easier to keep that vulgarity away. Maybe it's because I have to think more about what I'm saying before I type is so there's less room for filler swear words?

Anyway, what about you all?

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • I swear unrepentantly both online and in real life. With the exception of slurs, they're harmless words. This isn't to say that I'm an edgelord who needs to pepper swears into anything that I say, or even to make a point. I swear because it's how I grew up speaking, and how I heard people talk on a daily basis since second grade. All of the people kids are told to look up to -- soldiers, cops, firefighters -- use swear words all the time, so even at a young age, I never understood why I couldn't drop an F-bomb to color in my verbal palette.

When you live in Europe for a while, and you learn their attitudes towards swearing, the aversion that the US culture has towards swear words starts to look incredibly silly and petty. They don't censor television for "bad language" here, unless there are a lot of bigoted slurs involved.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I used to swear and say a lot of negative things to people online as well in person in my teenage years. Now older I don't online anymore or in person. Though I will speak my mind if I need too if it sounds harsh or not to stand up for others or myself.

Years
  • I used to swear and say a lot of negative things to people online as well in person in my teenage years. Now older I don't online anymore or in person. Though I will speak my mind if I need too if it sounds harsh or not to stand up for others or myself.

Pretty much what Leaf said regarding swearing.

I used to swear, mainly because those around me did. I very rarely swear anymore, and if I do, then people immediately know something is wrong!

I actually tend to get mocked an awful lot for not swearing, even by my delightful partner 😕

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I swear because it's how I grew up speaking, and how I heard people talk on a daily basis since second grade.

Yeah, exactly! My parents never censored themselves around me so I just picked up the language and never put it down. Obviously I can stifle it for like.. job interviews or whatever, but if I'm just chilling at home playing games I will let's lose a string of profanity that will crumble mountains lol.

I guess it just doesn't have the same appeal online maybe? Besides, I mainly welcome new members - I don't think they'd appreciate me and my NJ accent screaming,
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen today
    My family does not swear so naturally I've never felt much of a need to swear either. But I'm also a recent high-school graduate, around other kids my age I'd get caught up in the moment and I had no filter.

Otherwise I would say seldom. I might throw a word on occasion, but it's not a part of my regular vocabulary.

Catto

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Lmao. Imagine that but with Pokémon names as censorship xD

I like to occasionally "drop the bomb" to show i'm really into what i'm saying irl (like if I am really pissed or something).
    Online is a little bit different. Unless it's a joke or I know the person with whom I am tallking with I would rather not xD

Years
  • It is true what I posted before I don't do that sorts of stuff, however the truth is growing up I was a really pessimistic,negative, judgmental, angry, depressive girl in my teens till age 27. I was in and still are sadly at times in tremendous pain due to having C-PTSD from countless people hurting me in all sorts of ways online and in person. So I felt like that 24/7 and treated people pretty badly as well on some level with swearing and my negativity towards them because I was in pain from people betraying or using me over and over.

I became numb and didn't really care much about myself or others including my family. I had gone through something traumatic at age 27 and got out safely at age 28 the total time for that traumatic event 6 months. Once I was safe and free I realized I'm sick and tired of being a doormat for people, being used because my kindness and feeling how I do about myself and others. So I gave myself tough love and said enough is enough.

Thus beginning my journey of changing my mindset and myself for the better of becoming and being more optimistic and positive as a person and not being my sad and angry negative old self ever again. Now 5 years have passed and I'm totally a different person now and thriving more and more with my healing journey I'm still on and so far doing tremendously well.

Years
  • it really depends on the personality of who i talk to, regardless of if it's online or in person. i'm easy to adjust to someone who doesn't swear at all as well as to someone who says fuck twice a sentence. those words are merely words to me, and don't hold any ill meaning unless they're being directed at someone. if just by myself, i guess i'm pretty neutral? i'll swear a little bit here and there to keep things spicy, but i wouldn't wanna tire it out.

Spoiler:
    if this is how i was greeted Jo i would've been a regular far sooner lmfaoo

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    New Jersey Jo is someone I actively suppress, lmao.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • Yeah, exactly! My parents never censored themselves around me so I just picked up the language and never put it down. Obviously I can stifle it for like.. job interviews or whatever, but if I'm just chilling at home playing games I will let's lose a string of profanity that will crumble mountains lol.

I guess it just doesn't have the same appeal online maybe? Besides, I mainly welcome new members - I don't think they'd appreciate me and my NJ accent screaming,
    Spoiler:

Well shit, if you're from Jersey, it's almost a requirement to have a potty mouth, isn't it? 😅

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Spanish uses many curse words as punctuation so I'm far tamer when I'm speaking English. Just a matter of how those words are perceived.
    Although people at work get honestly surprised when I curse for good, which I do every now and then though, I don't give off the image of someone who does xD

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Well shit, if you're from Jersey, it's almost a requirement to have a potty mouth, isn't it? 😅
    we are not the classiest, cleanest people yeah lol

though it manifests in somewhat different ways for each of us

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I actually don't swear very often, but I've definitely gone through phases of saying them way more. It's something I've always tried to limit, especially around my parents, and that's just kinda put me in the habit of not often saying them. There's a group of people online I will swear around sometimes, but that's kinda all I can think of. I think a lot of my friends know me as that person who doesn't swear (except for that group, so it comes out way more often) so I've sorta just been telling myself not to my whole life. Which is fine. So for me, it's less of the difference between in person and online, and more just if I'm with that group of people or not.

Years
  • I swear more irl, I need to stop because it causes me no end of embarrassment.
    Plus, it makes me look bad.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Probably a surprise to some people that have talked with me in the past, but I am much more vulgar in my everyday life than online. Every third or fourth word that comes out of my mouth when I'm talking to someone in person tends to be an expletive. I grew up in a household that cursed a lot and have been using these amazing sentence enhancers for as long as I can remember.

I think the main thing that keeps me from being more explicit online is that it looks kind of goofy to type in the same way that you speak. Unless I want to come across as passionate about something or I'm just memeing I'll typically just stray away from excessive usage.

Back