• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash's Age

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
Years
  • I didn't think about that, and you're right, but think about it in "Anime physics". Everybody, even full grown men aren't as tall as Charizards, so in the animeverse Charizards are obviously taller.

But according to anime rules, nobody ever ages. EVER. Unless, its explicitly stated, where some says: "it's my birthday!" and no, it does not count in the pikachu short. Do you not think Ash would have made a bigger deal about it also being his birthday? Its not even mentioned

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
  • Do they even explicitly state it's Ash's birthday in the first episode? I always figured that it was some yearly thing they did when Prof. Oak gave trainers their first Pokémon, and that year around, Ash just happened to be ten, which was the minimum age requirement. I'd find it pretty odd if at least four different trainers had their tenth birthday on the same day.

So I think he became a year older in-between the first episode and the short, but neither of those were right on his birthday.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I think he was joking. :/

Or maybe not..

i will now do the math....

ash was 10 at the beginning of season 1
    factoring in the 10 years since Pokemon began
    ash's approximate age is ~20

and he is traveling around the world with Brock who is much older than him and with Dawn who is a minor

which leads me to assume that ash is a pedo.
    and his love affair with pikachu proves my point.

and lets not backtrack seasons to may and misty @_@

I personally don't think there was a joke, and maybe a few failed puns.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    This comes up from time to time, between discussions about Pikachu's level and who Ash's dad is.

I'd say he's probably 14 or 15 right about now. But since the radiation emitted from Poke-Balls stunts people's growth (and though it renders the user impervious to electricity, it has also been known to cause brain damage in kids), it's impossible to tell for sure.

Sparkle

Ninetales Rocks :D
    Years
  • Well, In the 3rd movie, the Pikachu short, Him and Pikachu have that party to celebrate being together for new year. But i'm not sure if the Anime show is linked to the movies.
    If it was, then that would mean that around every two seasons makes a year. But Im not sure.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • he is 20...and a pedo..... @_@

he's not twenty. time passes differently in his world... saying ash is twenty is like saying professor oak is 25... its just not true

Well, In the 3rd movie, the Pikachu short, Him and Pikachu have that party to celebrate being together for new year. But i'm not sure if the Anime show is linked to the movies.
    If it was, then that would mean that around every two seasons makes a year. But Im not sure.

The movies are linked, but that was the short. It isn't canon. It never happened.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • prof oak is in his mid 70's and hits on ash's mom..... who is now in her early 40's.............

THAT'S CALLED LOGIC PEOPLE

your right. this is logical. oak is probably in his 60's or 70's and ash's mom is probably in her early 40's... but ash is not 20...

Ashbox

Switched Accounts
    Years
  • there age also counts in effect the 10 year add on

oak was in his 60's when it started ....
    ash's mom was in her 30's
    [figuring that ash's mom was ~20 when she had ash]
    ash was 10 when it started

then add the 10 years you get this
    oak ~70
    ash's mom ~40
    ash ~20

the reason this is correct is --- pokemon has been around for 10 years [also 1 season = year]
    thus making there age +10 from when pokemon started

Last edited:
    Years
  • there age also counts in effect the 10 year add on

oak was in his 60's when it started ....
    ash's mom was in her 30's
    [figuring that ash's mom was ~20 when she had ash]

then add the 10 years you get this
    oak ~70
    ash's mom ~40
    ash ~20

the reason this is correct is --- pokemon has been around for 10 years [also 1 season = year]
    thus making there age +10 from when pokemon started

So according to your logic, the Kanto league took only one year to complete, but the Johto and Hoenn leagues took three years to complete?

Also keep in mind that there are technically more than 11 seasons, as what is commonly called "Season 1" really took about three seasons (at least by American standards) to complete, and there were two seasons of Battle Frontier in Japan.

So if we go by seasons, he'd be older than 20.

If we go by leagues, however, he'd be 15, which is more plausible.

Also don't forget: Not all 15-year-old boys are interested in romance (which disproves the "liking girls" theory); not all 20-year-olds drive (which disproves the "Brock should have a car" theory), there are such things as unusually short people and unusually tall people (which disproves the height theories for all characters), and most importantly: Pokémon is not your typical show. Kids leave home at 10 years of age, never to finish school, but instead are trusted with dangerous creatures and left on their own to experience things that could very well kill them or get them arrested. So if we're willing to believe that stuff, then we should be willing to believe that Ash, at 15, does not act or look like a typical 15-year-old.

Ashbox

Switched Accounts
    Years
  • by american standards he is 20
    by jap standards he is +20

and almost NOBODY has a car in pokemon

and he does like girls....... so you deny all those multiple references over the years????

example = misty+ash [huge references]

Years
  • No offense, but I was trying to avoid bias in my explanation of why Ash is 15. Yes, I'm a Pokéshipper, but I was deliberately avoiding mention of ships and I was addressing all sides of the arguments against mine. One person said Brock isn't 20 because he doesn't have a car, well there are actually people in this world over the legal driving age who don't drive, either because they are handicapped or just don't want to. And there were people saying Ash should be taller, I reminded them that there are short people in this world. When I said not all 15-year-old boys are interested in romance, I was addressing the people that insisted that Ash's apparent "lack of interest in girls" proves he is not 15. I was talking to everybody, not just you.

Years
  • a pokeshipper.... O_o ............... >.>

So are you saying you think it's weird that I support Pokéshipping, or are you saying you have no idea what that is? If it's the second, I suggest you research Pokémon and its fandom for a few months, and return to the site when you have some more knowledge of the subject. Coming to a fansite with limited knowledge of the subject of the site makes people think you're a poser.

Last edited:
    Back