• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Backwards Compatible?

MrGriszell

Madara
Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    The only reason I may be ok with it not being backwards compatible
    1. So no one can import ther cheat pokemon
    2. If they give us an honest to god awesome reward for completing the national dex.
    For example they could do something like club nintendo. If you capture all pokemon you'll get some awesome physical item such as exclusive plushes badge and pokeball replica and maybe some clothing similar to in game charecters, that jacket would look fresh on me son!!

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    First post here, know I'm going to cop a lot of flack for it. I, for one, hope that X & Y is NOT backwards compatible with the current/old generations. My reasons being:

1 - The fresh start will put everyone on the same page and on the same level, it'll encourage new competitive training, catching and battling. Similarly, it'll end a lot of the dishonest methods of obtaining competitive 'mon, which really would not have been able to have been obtained legally. This is all granted that the 3ds never gets cracked, which is unlikely.

2 - The allure of shinies, high IV's, ideal natures and egg moves will all be reinstated. This means that the hard work you would have done for your poke's will actually be recognised and even praised. These have only been tarnished due to hackers and dishonest methods, once again.

3 - Most excitingly, it allows Game Freak to hit the reset button, like how it did for gen 3 and reinstate a new, more interesting and more effective method of diversifying individual pokemon, wether it be through a new IV system or something new entirely. I personally have my fingers crossed for this, and many things are suggesting this could be the case (amie affecting battles for example)

4 - It MAY allow for a gen 3 remake, which I'm holding out massively for, as emerald was my most favourite game ever.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I, for one, hope that X & Y is NOT backwards compatible with the current/old generations.

Same here, however I highly doubt they won't be. The staff did mention they where working on it. I don't see how they could not come up with a solution... They would have told us straight up if there wasn't going to be any transfers when that topic was brought up to the staff right?

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2014
    Same here, however I highly doubt they won't be. The staff did mention they where working on it. I don't see how they could not come up with a solution... They would have told us straight up if there wasn't going to be any transfers when that topic was brought up to the staff right?
    I may be wrong, but this could just be their way of avoiding any instant backlash and abuse. In my opinion it's getting dangerously close to the deadline, and if anything isn't already decided on/coded in, slim chance it'll make it now.

toxictwinkie

Mini moose will rule you all
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2014
    About the whole torchic event distribution for the megablaziken/evos, perhaps you only get the mega stones / pokemon through events only and not through normal
    Gamplay.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I may be wrong, but this could just be their way of avoiding any instant backlash and abuse. In my opinion it's getting dangerously close to the deadline, and if anything isn't already decided on/coded in, slim chance it'll make it now.

I think they'll end up having it since it may encourage people who already play to buy the new installments, so it'll be encouraging more sales. I'm not sure if it will affect sales that greatly though.

About the whole torchic event distribution for the megablaziken/evos, perhaps you only get the mega stones / pokemon through events only and not through normal
    Gamplay.

The new Mega form evolution trailer mentions you can find certain stones around the region of Kalos, so some may be 'event' only stones.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    This is kind of a weird reason, but I kinda wish there was no backwards compatibility so it would give Game Freak an excuse to pretend that Diglett and Dugtrio never existed... Just get rid of them, seriously.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • Well I would prefer it if they would keep the backwards compatibility, gen 5 WAS our fresh start, and that still had the transfer methods, I want to be able to transfer the Pokémon I love, trained and grew attached to over to the new games, I don't wanna abandon em.

Also, guys, this is a 3DS game, even if no method is available at launch, they can still patch one in through e-shop as easy as pie.

toxictwinkie

Mini moose will rule you all
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2014
    The new Mega form evolution trailer mentions you can find certain stones around the region of Kalos, so some may be 'event' only stones.

Ah right, I must of missed that part in the trailer. :P

Last edited:

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Well I would prefer it if they would keep the backwards compatibility, gen 5 WAS our fresh start, and that still had the transfer methods, I want to be able to transfer the Pokémon I love, trained and grew attached to over to the new games, I don't wanna abandon em.

Also, guys, this is a 3DS game, even if no method is available at launch, they can still patch one in through e-shop as easy as pie.

Yeah, I kinda feel like that too. I've worked hard on getting some of my Pokemon in these past gens, that a I feel rather attached to a lot of them. Plus, I love the idea of having a Pokemon that might date back to gen 3 or 4 in current games. Perhaps that's a bit too sentimental as it's really just a bunch of coding, but it's still such a pleasant idea if you ask me.

So whether this method arrives with the release or post-release of the game, I'm fine. I'd just like it to happen in general.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm sure there will be some transfer method from Gen V to Gen VI, otherwise there would be no way to obtain all 700+ Pokémon unless they were ALL found in Kalos at some point in time idk.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    Also, I think they would announce if the game is going to be backwards compatible before it's released. It's a bit significant.

If the game is backwards compatible, then how they do it is going to be completely new. Sure if they announce it, it will be like oh it's backwards compatible, what's exciting about that? People what exciting news about the game. I say that however they are going to make it backwards compatible if it is would be exciting news because it will be done in a matter that hasn't been done before.

Also, I thought in the trailer it said in white text that the item can't be found in normal game play. This will make this item extremely rare, and honestly I don't see why they would make it so.

It would be a lot of pokemon to catch and the region would need to be huge. We know that Pokemon X and Y pokedex will be split into three parts, that dosen't necessarily mean that there will be a lot of pokemon but hints at it I suppose. If they remake Ruby or Sapphire then catching all the pokemon may not be that difficult.

I also don't see them changing the aspect of the game once the game it's released. It would completely change the way people play the game. I would purposefully skip catching Pokemon that I already have if the game is released backwards compatible. If it's not released backwards compatible, I would catch every Pokemon in the region and train them as well. It makes me wonder why they haven't made this announcement yet.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I'm sure there will be some transfer method from Gen V to Gen VI, otherwise there would be no way to obtain all 700+ Pokémon unless they were ALL found in Kalos at some point in time idk.

I think so too. And I bet it will be a 3DS app. We've seen a 3DS app interacting with a DS save file (Dream Radar) so it should be possible. I wouldn't be surprised however if they released the app some time after releasing the games themselves, last that I've heard on this issue, they were having some trouble with transferring Pokémon.

Knowing GF, they really value connectivity. If a migration is technically possible, they'll make it happen.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    I agree with all the guys that said that they're hoping for the game not to be backwards compatible, for the same reasons they stated in their posts.

As it is now, if you can't access Pokemon generated with hacks or programs, then you can forget about competitive battling. Yeah, you can win a match now and then, but forget about becoming top ranked.
    Getting a pokemon with maxed out IV's should have 1 out of 1073741824 chanches if you catch it in the wild, and 1 out of 32768 chanches if you get it by hatching eggs, provided that the baby has inherited 3 IV values that were 31. Now, these times are uncompatible with the human life spawn, but yet, if you battle on the internet, you pretty much only find people with pokemon with maxed out IV's that are SHINY as well!!

This reason is what made me stop enjoying pokemon like how i did back in ruby/sapphire times, where internet didn't exist, and you could play against people that didn't cheat.

Now everything is spoiled.

Shiny pokemons should be praised for their rarity, now, due to cheats, they're everywhere. Pokemon with good IV's should be strong, now they aren't cause they'll never be as good as pokemon generated trough hacks.

As it is, I see not giving any backwards compatibility the only way to solve this and fix the game, provided they manage to prevent cheats and hacks on the 3ds system

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    I agree with all the guys that said that they're hoping for the game not to be backwards compatible, for the same reasons they stated in their posts.

As it is now, if you can't access Pokemon generated with hacks or programs, then you can forget about competitive battling. Yeah, you can win a match now and then, but forget about becoming top ranked.
    Getting a pokemon with maxed out IV's should have 1 out of 1073741824 chanches if you catch it in the wild, and 1 out of 32768 chanches if you get it by hatching eggs, provided that the baby has inherited 3 IV values that were 31. Now, these times are uncompatible with the human life spawn, but yet, if you battle on the internet, you pretty much only find people with pokemon with maxed out IV's that are SHINY as well!!

This reason is what made me stop enjoying pokemon like how i did back in ruby/sapphire times, where internet didn't exist, and you could play against people that didn't cheat.

Now everything is spoiled.

Shiny pokemons should be praised for their rarity, now, due to cheats, they're everywhere. Pokemon with good IV's should be strong, now they aren't cause they'll never be as good as pokemon generated trough hacks.

As it is, I see not giving any backwards compatibility the only way to solve this and fix the game, provided they manage to prevent cheats and hacks on the 3ds system
    Totally agree. The hacking, the extreme RNG abuse, it's cheapened Pokemon and killed the spirit of battling for fun. Why? Because if you work hard and do things legit, you're still never going to be perfect like the exploiters are. It nags at you. And not only do people call you a "casual" player if you don't want to do these kinds of things, but to stand apart from it and raise Pokemon normally is to be seen as stubborn and old-fashioned. Bull crap! That's how this game should be played!

We've been carrying all the hacked Pokemon forward to new games from all the way back to Ruby and Sapphire. Think about that! It's time to junk all that stuff. Toss it out. I don't want to see any of it anymore. I don't even want a stinking remake of Ruby & Sapphire, just because I'm tired of living in 2003!

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
    Years
  • Totally agree. The hacking, the extreme RNG abuse, it's cheapened Pokemon and killed the spirit of battling for fun. Why? Because if you work hard and do things legit, you're still never going to be perfect like the exploiters are. It nags at you. And not only do people call you a "casual" player if you don't want to do these kinds of things, but to stand apart from it and raise Pokemon normally is to be seen as stubborn and old-fashioned. Bull crap! That's how this game should be played!

We've been carrying all the hacked Pokemon forward to new games from all the way back to Ruby and Sapphire. Think about that! It's time to junk all that stuff. Toss it out. I don't want to see any of it anymore. I don't even want a stinking remake of Ruby & Sapphire, just because I'm tired of living in 2003!

I am sure that sooner or later hackers will find their way to X Y so people will be able to make their own Pokemon there as well.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'll rather they don't allow cheating devices to work on X and Y...it makes competitive battles boring...and one sided on the cheaters side as they tend to have perfect Pokémon.

It's rumored that GF has already thought of a method, except we'll have to pay for it...as it's an app according to the rumor on the eshop...

Back