• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Better "yin yang" types instead of Fire & Electric

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    Fire is natural light source and Electricity is an unnatural light source...

They are Yin and Yang just as good as Normal and Ghost... Which would suck at Legends...Alot of people requested Light and alot more showed them how stupid the idea was...

Fire and Elec is the best Yin and Yang combo in my opinion...

Electricity is a natural light source. Lightening lights up the sky when it strikes, and that is natural. But I do agree that the typings they both have are probably the best for a good battle.

EDIT: Oh, and plasma is not the opposite of a solid, and lightening and fire are not plasma. They're just pure energy, not actual matter.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    Could it be said that they are also man's main 'tool' if you like? For example, millions of years ago our ancestors relied on fire for heat, light and even as a weapon.

Fast forward a few million years and electricity seems to take that role [as it provides light, energy, heat, the list goes on...]

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    I actually like the way there going with fire and electric type. Fire is a natural source of power, where as electricity is an unnatural source. Plus it's starting to look more and more like the games are based off of nature and technology.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    So Fire and Electricity equals Yin & Yang, I can understand that, but seriously though, those pokemon don't represent those types,do they?

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    Well, to me the plot seem to have something to do with the balance and peace between trainers and pokemon and how they live along eachother in harmony...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I think its already good as it is. I mean Fire & Electric are already like Yin & Yang if you actually think about it.

Years
    I doubt they will make a new type, but with this region it's possible. A new region=new types. I don't think there was any nw types after the second generation (G,S,C), though.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Fire = Natural way of light, Reshiram seems more natural.
    Electricity = Modern way of light, Zekrom seems more technological.

I think they fit it quite nicely with the Black City/White Forest contrast and the overall concept of this storyline so far.

D3r Schatten

shiny collector
    Years
    idk i wish they would make a light type, it just makes sense though i mean, light bein g a bright white pokemon and dark being a jet black one, JUST LIKE THE LEGENDARIES! (imagine that :P) but i see where it would cause issues because of all the other gen games and making it work with all the other elemental types :/ ohh well

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
    I like the fire/electric opposition (not so much the dragon typing; that was lame.) Not having psychic/dark as yin/yang felt wasteful at first, but it's so much better than the expected. It's so much better than the lame light type idea that got thrown around.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Fire/Electric and the light does make sense...but, also, the dragon-typing works, sadly.

Yin/Yang cancel eachother out, right? Well, Dragon and Ghost are the only types that are super-effective on themselves...

D3r Schatten

shiny collector
    Years
    Fire/Electric and the light does make sense...but, also, the dragon-typing works, sadly.

Yin/Yang cancel eachother out, right? Well, Dragon and Ghost are the only types that are super-effective on themselves...
    i like this better, i just dont see fire and electric when i look at the two

Kerjo

Dark/Ground Gym Leader
    Years
    Finally someone who's got the same opinion as I do.

@elarmasecreta and D3r Schatten: Seriously...iTeruri explained them representing Fire and Electricity quite well, even pulling other things from the game into it. And Dillon_68 said it in simpler terms...

Fire and Electric are not only a play on Yin and Yang, but also on nature and technology. At least, it's what I think. Reshiram's tail is a torch while Zekrom's tail is a generator. We also know of Black City and White Forest and at least one city that's either technologic advanced or looks like some old ruin.
    We now have electricity for light, thus Zekrom symbolizes the modern technology. In ages before technology mankind used fire or a torch for light. Reshiram symbolizes the time before technology or nature.
    Nature and technology, in a way, are also balanced. But then again, technology and nature aren't balanced at all (technology > nature).

It's an interesting theme for the legends, I think. And it works great with these types.

Slowking Bro

Trainer of Underrated Pokemon
    Years
    Yeah, although Reshiram kind of reminds me of white flames. Zekrom has that bright blue spot on top of its head, so that could be something relating to electriicity. They're kind of like Palkia, which didn't look too much like a water-type. Reshiram and Zekrom are made to look more like Dragon-Types than their secondary, I think.

Years
    Fire and Electric work well as "opposite" pairings because neither has an advantage over the other. You see that as far back as Electabuzz and Magmar from Gen I. Not to mention the relationship between Valley Windworks / Fuego Ironworks in Gen IV.

That being said, I was a big supporter of the Light type as a "holy" type, because I thought it would be interesting to have something that was the complete opposite of Dark. We don't really get complete opposites in Pokemon, which prefers to work in triangles.

Personally though, I really like the Fire/Dragon and Electric/Dragon combo. Not only are both of them unique types; they also work well with each other.

©ereal Killer

Illusions or Real Illusions ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2011
    Reshiram should stick to being a Dragon/Fire while Zekrom should change to Dragon/Ice, then it'd be epic.

A totally win - win situation if you ask me, Reshiram being a fire type which is effective against ice while Zekrom's ice attacks are super effective against the dragon type.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Reshiram should stick to being a Dragon/Fire while Zekrom should change to Dragon/Ice, then it'd be epic.

A totally win - win situation if you ask me, Reshiram being a fire type which is effective against ice while Zekrom's ice attacks are super effective against the dragon type.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it comes out neutral.

Fire -> Ice (x2) Dragon (x0.5) = Neutral damage
    Ice -> Fire (x0.5) Dragon (x2) = Neutral damage

No change. Pretty cool, though I like the triangle thing better, personally.

Last edited:
    Back