• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black & White, Pokemon or not?

Years
    I have seen many changes, and they are disturbing me as it is hardly like the old games, what happened to a 2-d black and white Kanto? Now we have 2.75-D full color, rotating camera, 600 pokemon, and triple battles.

Now what do you say? I know that GAMEFREAK Inc. will do anything to keep customers, but seriously, some things are bad.

Lets take a look at the new features:
    Black & White, Pokemon or not?
    This is a Serebii.net screenshot, first off, the new pokemon, many say look like digimon or 10-minute sprites. This is also how we felt about Gen IV so it shouldnt concern much.

Isshu's art is interesting, it has no resemblence to the others and it is far away, which furthers that these are hardly Pokemon games

Oh god, the new battle system. TRIPLE BATTLES-surf/EQ/Muddy water/explosion-half of your team gone. for gods sake leave triple battles to fossil fighters. ROTATION BATTLES-Im in competitive battling, and I know that this will be hell on earth.

To make that better-VGC, the japanese will have months experience, while we will have ONE month eperience. No brainer on the finals

The version differences i like, however we have never seen that great of a difference before have we?

The C-Gear is seeming good, but it looks like crap. I mean, why Hexagonal shapes? it seems confusing to me, but i like the idea.

The pokeshifter, in POKEMON why combine whac-a-mole with archery? It was better when you CAUGHT your pokemon not SHOT them

PS. the sprites, they are EXTREMELY pixelated in my opinion, however i like the fact that they move, hopefully its in a manner similar to battle Rev where they also move when hit.

the rest of it you can figure out yourself

~Red

I (almost) completely agree with you! Up until Gen IV the games looked like upgraded, better version. Now Gamefreak just really changes things, and breaks tradition. Isshu not being in Japan anymore, but just made up is really disturbing to me. And what happened to the wonderfull (Sugimori?) art of the region we got to see every time. This map is just a bland an quick drawing. (Is it me, or are there hardly towns in Isshu?)

HG/SS looked liked the perfect, refined Pokémon game: it found the balance between traditional Pokémon games and modern technologies and gameplay. B&W however seem a lot less refined, even unless the 'fabulous' 3D technology. For example: the dream world: what the heck? Is paranormality now a way of linking?! I want Bill and his Global Links!

You said some Pokés look more like digimon: that was exactly what I thought when I saw some. Especially the little orange Mew-like legend.

Some positive words however: Some Pokémon look very good, and look very much like the old skool Kanto Pokés, for example the elec.zebra, en croco and the gray bird.

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
    The reason the old games were the way they were is because that's the technology that was available then. If Pokemon had been first made during the GBA period, it would have started with GBA graphics. Things get updated as more technology is available. I'm very excited about the new features.

big NATE alpha

Patriotic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    I for one have been clamoring for change for a while here :P. This is starting to look better... although I must say I hate some of the new Pokemon with a passion (that sarcophagus one?! Really?!). I might just have to pick these up now, seeing all these new features.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2011
    You people just don't get it do you -_-

Or.. You don't get when someone is joking, messing with you? Smilies often indicate that they said something in a friendly manner. Unless the person using lots of smilies mean nothing with them but saying 'I'm retarded'....

And I even used a 'Silly' smile!

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
    I have seen many changes, and they are disturbing me as it is hardly like the old games, what happened to a 2-d black and white Kanto? Now we have 2.75-D full color, rotating camera, 600 pokemon, and triple battles.
    The fact is, that 2d, black&white, horrible mapped kanto sucked badly...

Now what do you say? I know that GAMEFREAK Inc. will do anything to keep customers, but seriously, some things are bad.

Lets take a look at the new features:
    Spoiler:
    This is a Serebii.net screenshot, first off, the new pokemon, many say look like digimon or 10-minute sprites. This is also how we felt about Gen IV so it shouldnt concern much.
    I agree that some pokemon sucks, but there are in all gen: as you said in another post pokemon should look cool special animals: well I don't see any problem with the eagle or the zebra...insted hitmonlee...fails a bit...

Isshu's art is interesting, it has no resemblence to the others and it is far away, which furthers that these are hardly Pokemon games
    I don't see how far-away=no-pokemon, also isshu resemble a lot kanto...

Oh god, the new battle system. TRIPLE BATTLES-surf/EQ/Muddy water/explosion-half of your team gone. for gods sake leave triple battles to fossil fighters. ROTATION BATTLES-Im in competitive battling, and I know that this will be hell on earth.
    You cannot do those type of battle on competitive battle...also they seems intresting because makes you thinks even more for strategies, especially rotation ones.(if it was for me, we would have real-time battles, so I'm not satisfied with this small changes...)

To make that better-VGC, the japanese will have months experience, while we will have ONE month eperience. No brainer on the finals
    This is true from tiiiiiiiime...

The version differences i like, however we have never seen that great of a difference before have we?
    And? We will have all the feature in the third game, if you want both...

The C-Gear is seeming good, but it looks like crap. I mean, why Hexagonal shapes? it seems confusing to me, but i like the idea.
    I didn't get why hexagone confound the scene...try with pentagons and you'll see...

The pokeshifter, in POKEMON why combine whac-a-mole with archery? It was better when you CAUGHT your pokemon not SHOT them
    Well I can agree with this, even if I sorta like minigames.

PS. the sprites, they are EXTREMELY pixelated in my opinion, however i like the fact that they move, hopefully its in a manner similar to battle Rev where they also move when hit.
    In the screenshots it's very noticeable, but in the videos I never notice the big pixels...also, I wouldn't mind a pokemon version with great 3d, especially with the awesom capabilities of the 3ds...

the rest of it you can figure out yourself

~Red
    I've commented in your post...also were you ironic in that post, since you seems to like hoen and at the same time complaining about change...?

Last edited:

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
    I completely understand why someone would get flustered by all of these new features. In a way, GF did not make a very wise decision by keeping pokemon so static for so long, then throwing a bunch of new improvements at us at once. I really can't wrap my head around the games yet, but I'm excited to play them so I can understand exactly how all the new additions work in relation to the game. However, most features seem to be aimed towards minigames and etc., not necessarily in-game attachments. For the most part, our pokemon experience won't be TOO different from past games-- I mean, they're part of the same franchise. Besides moving sprites, speech bubbles, better graphics, and triple battles, I believe all new features are optional and are not required for the main story line. (besides, if you dislike moving sprites and camera angles, I'm sure you can turn them off)

Earlier you asked where "the black and white 2-D pokemon games went"... Well they're in the past, where they should be. Why would any game developer keep the sketchy graphics of fifteen years ago when the technology is available today? Who would buy a game these days that wasn't in full color? The 3-D aspects are for a more realistic experience. Please take off your nostalgia goggles. I don't say that often but in this case it really applies. Someone who still wants games to be the same as fifteen years ago needs to check themselves.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
    Wow Op, Want me to call the WAAAAAAAAmbulance??

Shut up!

Whingers gonna whinge...

I am sick to death of these threads

Op: OMFG NEU POKMONZ SUCK CUZ NOT 2D WIF BLACK N WITE GRAFIC

shut up.

why isn't this thread blocked? all the other whinging threads have been blocked :S

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    "OMG DUDE POKEMON FIVE GENERATIONS ALL THE SAME ASDFGHJKL SO LAME CHANGE IT!"
    "OMG DUDE POKEMON FIVE GEN CHANGED SO MUCH ASDFGHJKL DON'T CHANGE IT!"

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    To tell the absolute truth,

After I've kept an open mind and let some Pokemon sink in, I really love everything about Gen V.

(And please tell me I'm not the only one excited for having Pokemon that move like they're real in battle and musicals)

Triple battles and rotation battles are a very interesting concept, and it actually does refresh battling ideas.

I think some are just not letting new ideas allow to exist, who knows, you might like everything in the end.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    I was introduced to PokeGaming in the 3rd Gen. Rings a bell ? WIND OF CHANGE ?!
    Yes. I adapted to changes from gen to gen, understood that Sceptile needed Giga Drain and not Leaf Blade.
    I you don't like the changes, you are invited to leave the Pokemon phenomena. There will always be haters, but I am tired of them. :(

Back