• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Café Mocha (Ash x Dent)

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Uh, yes. He's the green-haired one of the trio. And if you don't know he is, you really shouldn't be in here.
    I know who that is... was just confused about is japanese name :s

ANYWAYS... I just came because I've never heard of guy named dent before, just to find out it's cilan's japanese name :L, just checking out, y'know :)

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    It's okay, I didn't find it till like 2 weeks ago.

But... it's blasphemy!

MEWTWO IS WEAK TO SHADOW CLAW, BRO. I know, I know. We were all n00bs at one point. Hell, I'M still a n00b. Not to Pokemon, mind you, but this website. I didn't join for years because of its old reputation. Then again, I'm with FF.net, so I can't really say much.

You'll become a fangirl soon enough... /evil laugh

NOT UNLESS U MAKE ME!!!11!1! GOFFICKALY, of course.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I know who that is... was just confused about is japanese name :s

ANYWAYS... I just came because I've never heard of guy named dent before, just to find out it's cilan's japanese name :L, just checking out, y'know :)
    k

MEWTWO IS WEAK TO SHADOW CLAW, BRO. I know, I know. We were all n00bs at one point. Hell, I'M still a n00b. Not to Pokemon, mind you, but this website. I didn't join for years because of its old reputation. Then again, I'm with FF.net, so I can't really say much.

NOT UNLESS U MAKE ME!!!11!1! GOFFICKALY, of course.
    I been here for a long long time.... /so old

I WILL CONVERT YOU

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years

I LOLd. There's succinct, then there's succinct.

I been here for a long long time.... /so old

I WILL CONVERT YOU

A lot of the older people on this website has been a member since like '04/'05 or something. I was still into Pokemon then, but wasn't much of a forum bumpkin then. Conversion is fine, bro. This may be one preacher I will actually listen to!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I LOLd. There's succinct, then there's succinct.

A lot of the older people on this website has been a member since like '04/'05 or something. I was still into Pokemon then, but wasn't much of a forum bumpkin then. Conversion is fine, bro. This may be one preacher I will actually listen to!
    ;)

CafeMocha actually has quite a substantial following~

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years

Wow! The first forum I ever joined was Tales of Symphonia when I was 15 or so. Gah, I hates my e-manner back then!

CafeMocha actually has quite a substantial following~

It does! I'm glad. From a completely selfish viewpoint, it's one of the few pairings in any fandom that I actually like. Not that CafeMocha is crack... but anyway, I like crack pairings better, actually, because it's more imaginative. I find AdvanceShipping, PokeShipping, etc. to be boring because it's so bland.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I'm usually for the crack pairings as well, because... I dunno. I think the people I ship go well together and people just don't usually think about it like that?

CafeMocha is a ship that could have been crack... if it hadn't immediately gotten such a fan following. I feel proud of the fact that it does have that, even though I didn't do much. except start the official fansite and write the first English CM fics

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    I'm usually for the crack pairings as well, because... I dunno. I think the people I ship go well together and people just don't usually think about it like that?

I don't think people do. Not that it's a bad thing you do, mind you. Crack pairings from my observation, are usually about the aesthetics, or at the very least, shallow compatibility. I certainly am that way- unless it really goes against canon, I think anything goes.

CafeMocha is a ship that could have been crack... if it hadn't immediately gotten such a fan following. I feel proud of the fact that it does have that, even though I didn't do much. except start the official fansite and write the first English CM fics

Yes. Thankfully, Dent fanboyed over Ash's awesomeness and LOVE BLOSSOMED. =O In my opinion, it's not crack. I think popularity skews people's perception of what is crack and what is not- though I'm not entirely sure that changes the truth of it all when viewed under a microscope.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I don't think people do. Not that it's a bad thing you do, mind you. Crack pairings from my observation, are usually about the aesthetics, or at the very least, shallow compatibility. I certainly am that way- unless it really goes against canon, I think anything goes.
    Yup~

Yes. Thankfully, Dent fanboyed over Ash's awesomeness and LOVE BLOSSOMED. =O In my opinion, it's not crack. I think popularity skews people's perception of what is crack and what is not- though I'm not entirely sure that changes the truth of it all when viewed under a microscope.
    What is the definition of a crack pairing, anyway? I always interpret it as something not feasible in canon/shipped for the the hell of it.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    What is the definition of a crack pairing, anyway? I always interpret it as something not feasible in canon/shipped for the the hell of it.

Yes, so do I. I'm not even sure I agree with Wikipedia's definition 100%:

"...an unlikely or rare pairing"

Do they expect people to quantitatively (just wanted to use that word; love the phonetic) research what can be constituted as "rare?"

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    That seems odd, because there are things with a huge following that are considered crack, and pairings that are rare but just totally could not be "crack" as the general fandom considers it.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    That seems odd, because there are things with a huge following that are considered crack, and pairings that are rare but just totally could not be "crack" as the general fandom considers it.

Yes. If we go by Wikipedia's second definition, a lot of common yet cracky pairings could be constituted as not crack, and rare but canonically probably ones would be crack, simply because they're rare. Wikipedia is making no sense!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Yes. If we go by Wikipedia's second definition, a lot of common yet cracky pairings could be constituted as not crack, and rare but canonically probably ones would be crack, simply because they're rare. Wikipedia is making no sense!
    I think the next mission of ours should be to establish a proper definition of "crack".

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    I think the next mission of ours should be to establish a proper definition of "crack".

Seeing as anybody can edit Wikipedia *evil snicker*, maybe it's worth it?

Crack pairing:

1. A pairing highly unlikely to occur in canon; did not occur in canon.

2. A pairing that is implausible in the fandom's canon.

3. A pairing between two characters that haven't met; shared very little time together, and is seemingly random. Often thought up for challenge fan fiction, or for amusement.

...Though I think TVTropes got it pretty right: Crack Pairing.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    Which now is...? I don't have a Cafe Mocha SSB trophy fan art to salvage discussion, haha. Despite the awesomeness of Cafe Mocha, there isn't a whole lot to discuss, is there?

Well, I'll try one... from the various information I've been mentally gathering over the last month or so, I've noticed that Wishful beats Cafe Mocha quite often. Do you think there is a reason why people prefer to ship Dent with Iris rather than with Ash? It's even more popular than Ash x Iris (which fits the classic generational shipping of Ash with the token female group member).

I wonder why people warmed up to Dent being with Iris more than Iris being with Ash? If they're the types to pair up based on compatibility, given what we have seen, I would be more inclined to pair Dent up with Ash. I don't think anybody in the group are suited to each other when looking through the "deep relationship" lens.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Which now is...? I don't have a Cafe Mocha SSB trophy fan art to salvage discussion, haha. Despite the awesomeness of Cafe Mocha, there isn't a whole lot to discuss, is there?

Well, I'll try one... from the various information I've been mentally gathering over the last month or so, I've noticed that Wishful beats Cafe Mocha quite often. Do you think there is a reason why people prefer to ship Dent with Iris rather than with Ash? It's even more popular than Ash x Iris (which fits the classic generational shipping of Ash with the token female group member).

I wonder why people warmed up to Dent being with Iris more than Iris being with Ash? If they're the types to pair up based on compatibility, given what we have seen, I would be more inclined to pair Dent up with Ash. I don't think anybody in the group are suited to each other when looking through the "deep relationship" lens.
    I think it's just because everyone's still latching on to the various Ash ships. Ash has had so many possibilities throughout the years, and for most there is at least one diehard shipper. Basically, everyone's already supporting a different Ash ship so hard that they see Iris and Dent as Ship Mates.

I wish for more CafeMocha hints ;;

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    I think it's just because everyone's still latching on to the various Ash ships. Ash has had so many possibilities throughout the years, and for most there is at least one diehard shipper. Basically, everyone's already supporting a different Ash ship so hard that they see Iris and Dent as Ship Mates.

That's a good explanation- I shouldn't apply my processes to it. I tend to forget about other characters once a new generation starts, but I didn't take into account that some don't do so- like PokeShippers and AdvanceShippers. I'm happy with Negai to happen so that leaves Dent single and awesome, or alternatively, Pokemon to cave into drugs and make the social-suicidal decision to get Ash and Dent together.

The latest Japanese episode's running "gag" kind of thing was Dent sorta telling off Iris for talking with her mouth full. Haha~ I'm so lame for finding a twisted sense of joy in that.

The day will come, the day will come. I think Dent should take his own advice about how one should be honest about their feelings. Dent has a lot of confessing to do, haha. =)

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016

I agree with this reason, like D/P I'm pretty sure Advancedshippers/Abilityshippers liked Ikarishipping, even though they hardly interacted. I think this ship is the most popular Yaoi ship at least.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    I guess a lack of canonical hints/interactions allows the realm of imagination to flourish a lot better~

Back