• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cameron new British PM, Brown to quit as Labour leader

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
  • Gordon Brown has said he is stepping down as Labour Party leader.
    Mr Brown, prime minister since 2007, said he wanted a successor to be in place by the time of the party's conference in September.

Mr Brown announced his intention to quit in a statement in Downing St in which he also said his party was to start formal talks with the Lib Dems.

The Conservatives won the most seats and most votes in the election and have been in talks with the Lib Dems.

Mr Brown said no party had won an overall majority in the UK general election and, as Labour leader, he had to accept his part in that.

He said he had no desire to stay in his position longer than was needed to form a stable government, and that he would ask the Labour Party to set in form the process of a leadership contest.

He said it could be in the interests of the country to form a "progressive" government - possibly in coalition with the Lib Dems - the UK's third largest party.

It emerged earlier that the Lib Dem negotiating team, who have held days of talks with the Conservatives, had also met senior Labour figures in private.

The BBC's political editor Nick Robinson said one of the stumbling blocks to any Lib Dem-Labour deal had been Mr Brown himself.
    https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8672859.stm

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    about time, we never voted for him before, and we didnt vote for him this time, yet he's still there. He's like a barnacle really, impossible to scrape off. But if he had no desire to continue, why didnt he pull out of the election prior to the hung parliament and give his party a better chance?

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • Someone really ought to give that man a hug. The economy wasn't his fault. The war wasn't his fault. people have to stop blaming him. At least now he'll be out of the media spotlight.

On another subject, the Lib Dems seem to be fratenising with the Tories like drunk flirts at a party. Its amusing to see them abandon their ideals in order to get power (then agian the Labour party did that in the 1990s when they decided to leave the working class in the gutter and pursue "Middle England").

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
    Years
  • I agree with both of the above posts. We never voted for Brown, but people do need to cut him some slack (I found the 'bigot' saga fairly amusing when the media were all over it; everyone says things behind someone else's back at some point or another, it was misfortune that his microphone was still switched on).

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Well done, he was the main problem for Labour. He should leave as soon as possible if he wants his party to have a chance at anything.

Option a) Lib-Dems pact with the Conservatives, get a new electoral system, then leave and get new elections, where Labour can do better without Brown and get enough seats for a Lib-Lab, which actually makes sense as a Government coalition.

Option b) Lib-Dems give up and hurry Brown up so they can talk to someone else, get the Lib-Lab coalition and do as in option a).

Option c involves not getting a stable coalition but it could end up any way so it's really hard to predict the outcome XD

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    If only his dirty party would leave with him.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Well I guess I'll post my views on the thread, since I made it xD

I don't think Gordon was really a bad priminister, it was the party behind him which was. Their education (heck, I know how bad they are, my mum's a english tutor and it's shocking the things the kids don't know), Policing and immigration policies were all terrible, but we never seemed to realise due to Tony Blairs brilliant sales man esque strategy. Then when Tony left, suddenly we had a terrible public speaker, who couldn't make excuses for any of this. Then the economy failing sort of sealed it in the ignorant publics view, Gordon "had" to go. But he did actually have to go in the end, with all of this hung parliment stuff it would have been terrible if he had stayed as long as possible.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • As long as the next Labour leader isn't Alistair Darling then I'm cool with this.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Well I guess I'll post my views on the thread, since I made it xD

I don't think Gordon was really a bad priminister, it was the party behind him which was. Their education (heck, I know how bad they are, my mum's a english tutor and it's shocking the things the kids don't know), Policing and immigration policies were all terrible, but we never seemed to realise due to Tony Blairs brilliant sales man esque strategy. Then when Tony left, suddenly we had a terrible public speaker, who couldn't make excuses for any of this. Then the economy failing sort of sealed it in the ignorant publics view, Gordon "had" to go. But he did actually have to go in the end, with all of this hung parliment stuff it would have been terrible if he had stayed as long as possible.

You;re forgetting that they systematically demolished our naval force, depleated the RAF and left the army under equipped to fight 2 wars.

slls81

What does that even mean?
    Years
  • I honestly didn't see this coming, I'm surprised. Not that I'm going to miss him...

This has been kind of obvious ever since the Lib Dems ruled out any coalition with Labour if Brown remained as PM. The thing is now that Brown is no longer leader of the Labour party it's probably in their best interest to re-run the election, as in last weeks election many people were simply voting against Gordon Brown. So while Brown's resignation was made in a attempt to allow a coalition government with the Lib Dems, if Labour have any sense it could actually lead to another election in the coming months.

Suki

I'm gonna make it.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2019
    Poor man, I personally feel sorry for him!

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I think it's great he's leaving, he's the main problem, But to be honest I never really liked the man he was so smug of him self.
    Now, for him to step down as prime minister and mission completed hehe. :D

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Apparently the Lib-Dems are finalising their talks with the Conservatives and have come to no conclusions with Labour. Looks like we'll be have a Lib-Con government with David Cameron as PM.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    If I had known what an untterly devious b**t**d Nick Clegg was I wouldn't have voted Lib Dem.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • As we speak, Lib Dems have formed a coalition with the Tories and Gordon Brown has quit as PM.

Yup. He's done it. And Cameron is on his way to see the Queen to take over.

Sneeze said:
    I honestly didn't see this coming, I'm surprised. Not that I'm going to miss him...
    You and me both, Sneeze. You and me both.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • If I had known what an untterly devious b**t**d Nick Clegg was I wouldn't have voted Lib Dem.

What did you want him to do? Reject a coalition deal with the Conservatives and waste his chance to change the electoral system? Go for Lib-Lab and realize they would still need 11 more votes, meaning that they'd need to pact with pretty much all the other parties in the Parliament?

The problem was, half of his voters voted him to prevent Cameron from becoming PM, the other half voted him to prevent Brown from staying as PM. He couldn't win. He had to be a politician and choose the lesser of two evils.

After all (I still have to get proper info), chances are there will be new elections in a year or so.

Back