• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cartoon Network to CN. This also applies to you, Nickelodeon <_<

RYOUKI

survive the world.
Years
  • Why doesn't MTV actually show any music?[/FONT]
    Omg, lol. Instant win.

Yes, Cartoon Network's new shows are getting kinda lame. Only go there to watch old cartoons like Ed, Edd and Eddy, Kids next Door and Billy and Mandy.

Frankly, I hope they redeemed themselves by making cartoons that actually interest people.

As for Nickelodeon, they're trying to be Disney Channel-ish. iCarly and True Jackson, VP is what I'm talking about. Also, the 1990s Spongebob is better. I don't like the new episode, they're making it a musical and Spongebob more childish. wtf. I like it better on the time when Spongebob is embarrassed for the rip of his pants, instead of this new episode where Spongebob sold all his belonging for his spatula. The hell.

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
  • What's sad is that I started to enjoy cartoons more in my teens then I did when I was a kid. When Toon Disney first started airing I freaked the heck out. Right before I went to bed I'd watch Bonkers, Darkwing Duck, and then Gargoyles. It made my day feel complete :3

Nick I stopped watching a looooong time ago. Umm... I think around the time Angry Beavers stopped airing? I demand a box set for that show. Seriously.

As for CN... *sigh*. I think the most "recent" cartoon there that I got into was Courage the Cowardly Dog and I can't wait for the box set in July. I want more of their shows, though! I long to see Road Rover's again! I really wish I had Boomerang, but I doubt I'd ever leave the TV. At least I've got the Hanna Barbera cartoons I like in box sets. Nothing will ever top the greatness of Dastardly and Muttley.

Michfan

Bodacious Intellectual
    Years
  • Ah, Cartoon Network...wait, SORRY, CN. I stopped after Billy & Mandy, back when Cartoon Network was just starting to lose its prime. Same with Nickelodeon, it became crap IMO after the Spongebob movie. Everyone who has suggested going on Boomerang is correct; just go there, even though you'll feel old, haha. The only cartoons that I'll watch is the Adult Swim cartoons (Family Guy, Robot Chicken, Clerks, etc.).

Mad Hatteress

Just a little glitchy
    Years
  • ^ I don't even really like Adult Swim anymore. Harvey Birdman was the best show ever aired on there and now I'm waiting for new Ventures.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • CN does have a lot of rip off shows. Like 6teen and Total Drama (whatever the heck it is now). They were imported from canada. And most, actually all of the CN real shows are rip offs. The only one I can think off the top of my head is the Othersiders (outsiders? cant remember which is which). Its just a rip off of ghost hunters.

Nickelodeon, the only thing that is keeping it alive is spongebob, and the show has its ups and downs.

Years
  • Nickelodeon died in 2003.
    Cartoon Network died in 2004.

This is old news. These networks have long been trash. All I can really suggest is to order Boomerang. It's about the only decent cartoon channel left anymore.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I can't even get Cartoon Network on my TV anymore. :(
    Not like I watch TV anyway though.

I wonder how many shows are on Boomerang now. Is Courage the Cowardly Dog still playing on CN? o.O That must be a breath of fresh air.

Years
  • I think the reason why these networks are dying to some of us is because the style of comedy in the shows is changing. The networks are opting for a safer style of humor that caters to kids, not the kind of humor where the true meaning can fly right over a kid's head and into the mind of an adult (like when Spongebob is flipping through the channels and stares at a dancing sea anemone, and quickly changes the channel in embarassment when Gary notices). The times are changing, and so are the networks. But in reality, I think some of this change is actually hurting them. Instead of actually researching what children want to watch, they force-feed what shows they want to show. Many of their new cartoons are ending early, because they don't appeal to anyone. Out of Jimmy's Head and Squirrel Boy are a few examples. They tried forcing those shows on us, and the ratings were well below their expectations. I should probably also mention the quick cash-ins like Big Time Rush, playing off of the Disney music scene (which was also force-fed).

There are still a few gems in the rough that I like, like The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, because it makes jokes that appeal to everyone, but mostly, I don't like newer cartoons because they are geared to the younger audience, and the younger audience only.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • What's with the people antagonizing others by claiming they're too old for cartoons?

Not only is that an opinion, not a fact, but this is an inappropriate place to try making that point. As in, off topic. This is about the decay of cartoon quality.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I think someone should read this TV Tropes page to understand better, that way you should see that Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon are not the only ones going under channel shifts that make so many people b*tch about the changes, the biggest examples are Disney Channel and MTV, most especially MTV......

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I know CN tripped and is still lying on the floor writhing in pain... That's what happened when Toonami got canceled...and the starting-up Funimation One Piece dubgot inexplicably yanked off the air. Then Naruto was left to fend for itself. Then the network couldn't be bothered to show the last 10 episodes of Naruto (yeah, they're filler...but you might as well finish since you showed all the other ones). And then CN Real came out, which is the worst abomination ever on the network. Seriously. Cartoon Network. Even preschoolers can tell the difference. You might as well change the network name entirely if you go the live-action route after endlessly promoting cartoons...

Anyway, I remember a time when channels like Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were special. Sure, you had your great Saturday morning cartoons, but if you got the opportunity to glimpse shows on Nick and CN, they offered something astounding...

Now memories of Fox Kids are flooding back... :( That was the channel that virtually introduced me to anime and toku (via Digimon and Power Rangers)... Then the FoxBox was unveiled...and burst open to reveal the shoddy 4Kids TV we now know for disparaging One Piece's reputation...

Maybe I'm growing up, times have changed, and cartoons have shifted dynamics, but I know that several of the networks (CN, Nick, "Fox") are capable of much better than they're doing now. Seriously, who is still watching CN Real?! I bet that many people would love to watch more Toonami or reruns of childhood shows than whatever's on that block... Yeah, I guess the Boomerang network retains classic CN (I haven't experienced it so I wouldn't know) but it's like the networks really don't care anymore... Now my Saturday mornings are essentially trashed...

And moves like moving Pokemon to cable (when it used to be in syndication, which, IMO, provides more exposure. Not everyone has cable these days) and letting Disney acquire Naruto Shippuden (which would've fit much better on Adult Swim at the least)?? Argh...it's like what's the point of children's TV shows anymore if you can't cherish them? I'd really like today's little children to cherish TV shows just like I hold shows like Digimon, Pokemon, Naruto, and Power Rangers very close to my heart. Looks like that isn't happening for a while until some network finally gets it together...

Sorry if this post seems disjointed; I'm just really frustrated that true childhood-quality shows and precious Saturday mornings are virtually nonexistent nowadays... I'm wondering if I'm even expressing my thoughts about this properly...

dannichols

A Theodore Tugboat Fan
    Years
  • You know, I didn't take kindly to Cartoon Network when it was first introduced to me back in 2002. But with The Powerpuff Girls, Sailor Moon and Hamtaro, it turned out all right to me. In 2003, 2004 and 2005, I watched Cartoon Network a bunch of times.

But after 2005, things wen't screwy. When I saw a little bit of Re-animated, I didn't think it was any good. And then in 2007, I saw Out Of Jimmy's Head and Goosebumps. Goosebumps was creepy and serious. And Out Of Jimmy's Head was dumb and stupid.

And I have to admit, I did watch The Othersiders. I only watch it for the ghost parts. Don't ask.

I must admit, that in the near future, I am planning on launching a channel that is meant for animation only as well as starting my own animation productions.

Alkaide

••» I hate my homework!
    Years
  • MUFFIN said:
    Why... why? A new owner for Cartoon Network came in 2007, and after Toonami, it became s***. They replaced all the good shows with crap, and they made this thing called "CN Real" where it was rip-offs of reality/questionnaire shows. This also applies to you, Nick...

Anyway, my point is that entertainment these days are not that good... I feel bad for the little kiddies watching this crap...

R.I.P Cartoon Network/Nick 1990's/2000's.

I am totally with you.

I used to watch Cartoon Network lots earlier, but now I don't even visit it, only the bogus Tom & Jerry are on it.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • This thread is awesome ! :)
    Want to know what happened to CN Romania ? (Pokemon Wise) Well, it seems like DP Battle Revolution Episodes are being aired at 10:30 and 14:30.
    I can see what you're all talking about. I remember my grandparents' old television, when we watched Toonami every evening at 21:00. These were brilliant days, and I loved that rectangural logo ! :)
    And the Tsunami joke my dad made ... or those girls in the morning, Puffy Puffy Amy Yumi (?) and Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls and Tom&Jerry...
    I have a lot of memories with these, but when CRAP, USELESS CRAP like The Secret Saturdays or MI High (?) ... it isn't worth watching ! :(
    I hope they'll wake up one day and enjoy childhood memories AGAIN ! :( -> :)

Akumu Senshi

Don't worry. It's fatal.
    Years
  • Not all of the shows are crap. The Misadventures of Flapjack is completely stupid, but its companions - Chowder and Adventure Time - are great. Especially Adventure Time.

But other than that, CN has heavily declined recently.

dannichols

A Theodore Tugboat Fan
    Years
  • Also, Nickelodeon has really became messed up, too. Well, iCarly is okay. Although a bunch of the recent episode are getting mixed up.

Although I think Big Time Rush is really hilarious. It's way better than Victrious, True Jackson, VP, The Troop, and especially Fanboy and Chum Chum.

But yeah, things have fell apart since late 2007 and mid-to late 2009. Especially with all the live-action programs on Nick being rated G. I think they should have kept their TV-Y7 or TV-Y7-FV ratings.

And now, Nick at Nite is the second Adult Swim with Malcom in the Middle, Everybody Hates Chris, and the clone of a Adult Swim, Glenn Martin DDS.

Back