• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I'm not fond of restricting challenges to a certain game when it's perfectly capable of being used in any game.
I mean we could certainly adapt it, but a lot of the charm comes from Red version and the Pokémon in it. A lot of the requirements we have are directly related to those things. But if we get the mechanics down I suppose it could end up doing okay on any game.

Years
Thankyou for quick replys I really appreciate it ^^

I used to use ImageShack and I am using PhotoBucket now - on either of them I can put any size picture and they will resize it for webpage/forums - meaning that they will either shrink them either enlarge them - ruining the quality in both cases which is kinda annoying D: And yep I always use spoiler tags just so I don't clutter whole topic with my pictures :) I am working on making smaller screen shots and hopefully I can figure out what's the problem with resizing soon D:

And about people not trusting me... I am not sure but I used to be on another place similar to this - if you didn't post pictures people started accussing you pretty fast so yeah I rather stick with screenshots for now because I don't want to experience something similar to that again D:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years

I used to use ImageShack and I am using PhotoBucket now - on either of them I can put any size picture and they will resize it for webpage/forums - meaning that they will either shrink them either enlarge them - ruining the quality in both cases which is kinda annoying D: And yep I always use spoiler tags just so I don't clutter whole topic with my pictures :) I am working on making smaller screen shots and hopefully I can figure out what's the problem with resizing soon D:

And about people not trusting me... I am not sure but I used to be on another place similar to this - if you didn't post pictures people started accussing you pretty fast so yeah I rather stick with screenshots for now because I don't want to experience something similar to that again D:
I still don't see where the resizing could be happening. Maybe I don't have that option? In any case, I recommend changing your upload options to full size/do not resize/show at original size. Because that actually makes sense haha.

And don't worry, we're nice here. :) I mean, if you update a decent amount and then tell us you finished we're gonna be like, hey, cool, you did it. Good job! And really if you lie about it, you're not cheating anyone but yourself, so who really cares in the end, right?

Years
Yeah that's true :) Why would you even sign up for challenges and than lie about finishing them when you didn't? Makes no sense (Unless you are a troll lol) - This site is actually one of my favourite Pokemon Sites -it has a lot of awesome topics and admins and other people are just awesome too :3

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years

I run several challenges that you're in, and I don't even post pictures. Like I said though, if you want to cut down space the spoiler tag is very efficient.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Yeah that's true :) Why would you even sign up for challenges and than lie about finishing them when you didn't? Makes no sense (Unless you are a troll lol) - This site is actually one of my favourite Pokemon Sites -it has a lot of awesome topics and admins and other people are just awesome too :3
Exactly haha. I'm glad you feel that way. <3 We try to keep it nice here~

Years
  • Seen May 7, 2016
How about a No EXP Gain Challenge. (It would require an AR/Gameshark code, but still). As it implies, you CANNOT gain experience points. (You can do it on an unpatched Generaion 5 rom, but for everything else, you'd have to make a ode for to disable EXP gain.)
You pretty much have to always buy Pokeballs, catch new Pokemon on every single route to replace your lower leveled ones. You can use rare candies to level up if needed.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not fond of restricting challenges to a certain game when it's perfectly capable of being used in any game.

But with TPP, there's things that are RBY exclusive, and I think that invokes a more authentic feel. It wouldn't feel right to have a Twitch Plays Pokemon challenge with Platinum, for example. Consulting the Skull Fossil just doesn't seem quite like consulting the Helix. Plus, the mechanics of RBY really help make TPP what it is. Everything being lumped into one bag, for example. No pockets. Just a mess of TMs, Pokedolls, stones, Potions, etc. I mean, I could open it up to FRLG at least, but I'd like to keep it RBY. That just goes with the theme of the challenge.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
How about a No EXP Gain Challenge. (It would require an AR/Gameshark code, but still). As it implies, you CANNOT gain experience points. (You can do it on an unpatched Generaion 5 rom, but for everything else, you'd have to make a ode for to disable EXP gain.)
You pretty much have to always buy Pokeballs, catch new Pokemon on every single route to replace your lower leveled ones. You can use rare candies to level up if needed.
That would literally be impossible. You couldn't beat any first gym leader because you wouldn't have any moves other than what a level 5- learns and your highest level against at minimum a level 13 would be level 5.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
As badass and hardcore as a no exp challenge sounds, it also scares me haha. I'm trying to think of beginning Pokemon you could catch that wouldn't need exp to learn something at least neutral against the first gym...nothing is coming to mind. I could see it maybe working after the first gym, but that first one would be a doozy. Spam X items and Tail Whip and Tackle all day, erryday.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
How bout a challenge where you get a pokemon from every gen?
I feel like we had that somewhere at some point? Maybe as part of some other challenge, idk. But, as a challenge by itself, how would it be set up? Like, would you only be able to have one Pokémon from each gen? And would it exclude non-hacked Kanto games since you can only take from one gen? (idk what's on FRLG sorry) So like, Gen II players could only have two in their party, Gen III has to have three, etc, barring HM slaves.
As badass and hardcore as a no exp challenge sounds, it also scares me haha. I'm trying to think of beginning Pokemon you could catch that wouldn't need exp to learn something at least neutral against the first gym...nothing is coming to mind. I could see it maybe working after the first gym, but that first one would be a doozy. Spam X items and Tail Whip and Tackle all day, erryday.
Actually RSE could possibly work because Shrromish & Wingull come with Absorb & Water Gun. The hard part would def be gyms with a huge jump from the surrounding area's Pokémon and the E4- but you could potentially counter that with legendaries, idk.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years

But with TPP, there's things that are RBY exclusive, and I think that invokes a more authentic feel. It wouldn't feel right to have a Twitch Plays Pokemon challenge with Platinum, for example. Consulting the Skull Fossil just doesn't seem quite like consulting the Helix. Plus, the mechanics of RBY really help make TPP what it is. Everything being lumped into one bag, for example. No pockets. Just a mess of TMs, Pokedolls, stones, Potions, etc. I mean, I could open it up to FRLG at least, but I'd like to keep it RBY. That just goes with the theme of the challenge.
Well it's not like you can actually consult the fossil in game, you would still be consulting the Helix. I personally don't think that it would matter if someone wanted to do it on another game.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well it's not like you can actually consult the fossil in game, you would still be consulting the Helix. I personally don't think that it would matter if someone wanted to do it on another game.

It would be on RBY since that's how it is on Twitch. The way it's being planned basically goes with it, to be suited to RBY. So that's that, really. If they go on to play Crystal or something and things come out of that, then there'd be either another thread for TPP: Crystal or different rules in the TPP Challenge thread for that playthrough.

Actually RSE could possibly work because Shrromish & Wingull come with Absorb & Water Gun. The hard part would def be gyms with a huge jump from the surrounding area's Pokémon and the E4- but you could potentially counter that with legendaries, idk.

RSE are always pulling through for me...lmao.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
It would be on RBY since that's how it is on Twitch. The way it's being planned basically goes with it, to be suited to RBY. So that's that, really. If they go on to play Crystal or something and things come out of that, then there'd be either another thread for TPP: Crystal or different rules in the TPP Challenge thread for that playthrough.
But you don't ACTUALLY consult the Helix in game. All it does is say "You can't use that here," any consultation would be done externally. I won't fight any more, I just think that this challenge would work just fine as an any game challenge.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
But you don't ACTUALLY consult the Helix in game. All it does is say "You can't use that here," any consultation would be done externally. I won't fight any more, I just think that this challenge would work just fine as an any game challenge.
It could potentially work on any game, but that'd be only the mechanics. Which are pretty hard to implement and find a balance between over-the-top reliance on RNG and just another lame playthrough with a few special requirements. The TPP challenge I'm envisioning would be more a homage to TPP's playthrough rather than a TPP-inspired spinoff, which is what doing it on other games would feel more like. idk I'm sure it could work, but that's not really the point of it. :P It's novelty. We're not that worried about accessibility.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
ok, I've been doing a challenge with my brother, and it's really fun, so here I go:

ok, so at the beginning, I caught a shinx and started soloing with that, as we'd only get 2 pokemon in the run. once we got machop, though, things started to get interesting. the rule is this: every time machop/machoke/machamp gets sent out into battle, he gets control (as in, the DS, though we're on an emulator...) and every time shinx/luxio/luxray gets sent out, I get control. the OW is whoever got control last, and in doubles we each control our own pokemon. it requires more than one person (and less than six) but it's still fun so wondering is anyone wants to try or if I should make a thread.

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
That sounds pretty interesting actually. I would totally do that with my siblings haha. But, would it work as a challenge? I think a lot of people play on the go, or don't have people to play with as often as that. I was actually thinking of something similar a while ago- like, one person controls until they beat a gym or a checkpoint, next controls until they beat the next thing, etc. But that's still hard to co-ordinate, I think. It would be hecka cool tho.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
That sounds pretty interesting actually. I would totally do that with my siblings haha. But, would it work as a challenge? I think a lot of people play on the go, or don't have people to play with as often as that. I was actually thinking of something similar a while ago- like, one person controls until they beat a gym or a checkpoint, next controls until they beat the next thing, etc. But that's still hard to co-ordinate, I think. It would be hecka cool tho.

that's why I haven't made a thread yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back