• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I actually like the idea of this challenge- but sadly I am one of those people that doesn't have siblings/all friends think that Pokemon are childish and that I am too old to play those games... So you have to take in account that not everybody is able to complete it so it might turn people away from it...

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
As badass and hardcore as a no exp challenge sounds, it also scares me haha. I'm trying to think of beginning Pokemon you could catch that wouldn't need exp to learn something at least neutral against the first gym...nothing is coming to mind. I could see it maybe working after the first gym, but that first one would be a doozy. Spam X items and Tail Whip and Tackle all day, erryday.

in DPPt it's possible because a team of geodude that know HM04 rock smash can beat the gym, no matter what level they are.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
ok, I've been doing a challenge with my brother, and it's really fun, so here I go:

ok, so at the beginning, I caught a shinx and started soloing with that, as we'd only get 2 pokemon in the run. once we got machop, though, things started to get interesting. the rule is this: every time machop/machoke/machamp gets sent out into battle, he gets control (as in, the DS, though we're on an emulator...) and every time shinx/luxio/luxray gets sent out, I get control. the OW is whoever got control last, and in doubles we each control our own pokemon. it requires more than one person (and less than six) but it's still fun so wondering is anyone wants to try or if I should make a thread.

Sounds fun! ^-^ I really need to find the time to get back into and finish up my current challenges, but this sounds like something I'd want to join.

That sounds pretty interesting actually. I would totally do that with my siblings haha. But, would it work as a challenge? I think a lot of people play on the go, or don't have people to play with as often as that. I was actually thinking of something similar a while ago- like, one person controls until they beat a gym or a checkpoint, next controls until they beat the next thing, etc. But that's still hard to co-ordinate, I think. It would be hecka cool tho.

I saw something like this from before I first joined, actually! It was called "Play! Power! Pass!". I would've liked to participate in it, but maybe that can be possible now? Somehow?

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
That sounds pretty interesting actually. I would totally do that with my siblings haha. But, would it work as a challenge? I think a lot of people play on the go, or don't have people to play with as often as that. I was actually thinking of something similar a while ago- like, one person controls until they beat a gym or a checkpoint, next controls until they beat the next thing, etc. But that's still hard to co-ordinate, I think. It would be hecka cool tho.
I saw something like this from before I first joined, actually! It was called "Play! Power! Pass!". I would've liked to participate in it, but maybe that can be possible now? Somehow?
It wouldn't be too hard to do something like that. The only thing you'd have to be able to do is exchange save files. Like someone starts the game, plays it up to the first gym, then he sends the sav file to the next person and so on. I thought there was (at least one) challenge that worked like that, but I don't know for sure or which one it was. Of course it can also be quite a hassle getting the sav file to the right person and getting it to work, etc., but it's not impossible.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It's novelty. We're not that worried about accessibility.

This, basically. Couldn't have said it better myself. Accessibility is very important to me, don't get me wrong, but when the rules and such we've been working on are essentially RBY only anyway, then accessibility goes out the window. Until Twitch moves to another generation, of course. Only Anna and I seem to show interest in this though, so maybe I won't post a thread for it after all.

In other news, the event will be up soooooon. Bonus for signing up the day it's posted btw. Nothing major, but just becauuuuse. I will also be naming my team after the first 5 people to sign up. Why not 6? Because Necrum can't play the event so I have to reserve a Necrum mon so he can be there in SPIRIT.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years

This, basically. Couldn't have said it better myself. Accessibility is very important to me, don't get me wrong, but when the rules and such we've been working on are essentially RBY only anyway, then accessibility goes out the window. Until Twitch moves to another generation, of course. Only Anna and I seem to show interest in this though, so maybe I won't post a thread for it after all.

In other news, the event will be up soooooon. Bonus for signing up the day it's posted btw. Nothing major, but just becauuuuse. I will also be naming my team after the first 5 people to sign up. Why not 6? Because Necrum can't play the event so I have to reserve a Necrum mon so he can be there in SPIRIT.
Can't wait to see what it is. I have no idea if I'm gonna sign up yet. I have an open game now but event challenges are time consuming because of the limited window to complete it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
As long as it's an event for all Gens, I'll be able to play on my phone ^_^ so I'll join for sure *-*

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This one will be all games, except for Kanto games. But that still leaves plenty of options, so no worries. And Necrum, you have a place in my team regardless haha. I'll will actually be posting it a day early. It will be up at midnight tonight. :) Tomorrow is a special day, so I thought I'd do something small in honor of it~ And the naming thing is just because I thought it'd be fun to see whose names I end up with. :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
So much hate on Kanto q.q xD
HOENN REGION, HERE I COME!

OH AND GUYS!
Today is momma birdie, Syd's 6th PCversary so go congratulate her in this thread.

Go spread the love! *-*

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Thanks, guys! :) I probably wouldn't have stuck around so long if it weren't for such great people like yourselves, honestly. You all make modding much more fun and rewarding!

And Kanto isn't included because...well, you'll find out eventually. :P

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Thanks, guys! :) I probably wouldn't have stuck around so long if it weren't for such great people like yourselves, honestly. You all make modding much more fun and rewarding!

And Kanto isn't included because...well, you'll find out eventually. :P

I'm excited (:.
I'll probably start with a quick Hoenn run on it sped up, then maybe do the ultimate for it. :D

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Currently struggling to stay awake so I can get it posted at midnight, haha. Wish I had a Dr. Pepper. :( Guess I should go ahead and get it typed up so that I can just click post and go to bed and have it done and over with. Then sign on in the morning to realize I have a bunch of typos, missed some rules, made oversights, have conflicts with some games, a trillion sign ups, etc etc...

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Currently struggling to stay awake so I can get it posted at midnight, haha. Wish I had a Dr. Pepper. :( Guess I should go ahead and get it typed up so that I can just click post and go to bed and have it done and over with. Then sign on in the morning to realize I have a bunch of typos, missed some rules, made oversights, have conflicts with some games, a trillion sign ups, etc etc...

I didn't think Helix Fossils needed sleep, tbh. Haven't you been asleep for millions of years?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You're so right. Talk about beauty sleep. Bout to wake up and be ~flawless~

lmaodsfakldjfa this might get posted earlier than midnight I AM SO TIRED

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
hmn... what's the hardest challenge you've done? for me, it was my solo run with pichu.

Years
Hello everyone.

So I have an idea, a rather vague one.

I know many people LOVE the challenge events, thanks to our Altaria aficionado, Everlark/Sydian. My suggestion is, since whether a monthly event would be a fun idea. Each month a host and theme could be chosen, by Everlark or poll. Though, of course, Everlark would continue to host several events as usual!

The reasons why I tend to enjoy events more than the other great challenges, is that, they are less daunting and always different. Being a completionist, but not always free with time, it's hard to really complete any ultimate challenges.

The events would likely boost the number of frequent challenge-goers, like me, that are not quite as committed to challenges like many of you challenge veterans. Also, veterans will likely thrive on having new and interesting events each month. Especially if they need a break from an ultimate challenge.

Even if every month is not doable, perhaps, every other month. Though, I'd love to have a monthly challenge with diverse rules. And further, it would be quite fun to maintain a sticker,badge, or medal system of sorts to keep track of event challenge achievements.

I know I have been an on/off the challenge over the past few years, and I hope my suggestion/idea doesn't come off the wrong way, or seem intrusive. If anyone has anything to add or any concerns please feel free to reply.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I have never liked the idea of consecutive events. Hosting an event is nothing like just running one challenge thread. Even though it's over in a month, that makes it all the harder. Along with hosting, you're working on emblem(s), the challenger list, the idea for the challenge before it's even up, your own playthrough, questions in the thread (have you guys ever noticed that there's always that ONE rule that is always misinterpreted? kind of funny tbh), etc. And then there's stuff to do irl as well, lol. Plus one every month, or even every other month would make them feel less special.

It's an ideal thought really, but it's just too much to manage, I'm afraid. I don't want events to be stale, and people need time to do their other challenges, games, homework, things irl, etc. Events take a toll on me, haha.

Hate sounding like the bad guy, but yeah, events every month just aren't going to happen. :(

As for the hardest challenge I've done, the Christian Challenge was pretty ruthless. No evolving, no Dark, Psychic, or Ghost moves OR Pokemon, no use of vitamins...the struggle was real. If you want a real challenge, definitely try that. It's pretty intense. If it weren't for Heracross, I don't know what I would have done.

Years
I have never liked the idea of consecutive events. Hosting an event is nothing like just running one challenge thread. Even though it's over in a month, that makes it all the harder. Along with hosting, you're working on emblem(s), the challenger list, the idea for the challenge before it's even up, your own playthrough, questions in the thread (have you guys ever noticed that there's always that ONE rule that is always misinterpreted? kind of funny tbh), etc. And then there's stuff to do irl as well, lol. Plus one every month, or even every other month would make them feel less special.

It's an ideal thought really, but it's just too much to manage, I'm afraid. I don't want events to be stale, and people need time to do their other challenges, games, homework, things irl, etc. Events take a toll on me, haha.

Hate sounding like the bad guy, but yeah, events every month just aren't going to happen. :(

As for the hardest challenge I've done, the Christian Challenge was pretty ruthless. No evolving, no Dark, Psychic, or Ghost moves OR Pokemon, no use of vitamins...the struggle was real. If you want a real challenge, definitely try that. It's pretty intense. If it weren't for Heracross, I don't know what I would have done.

Thanks. You are so FAST! Sometimes, I notice people jump on anyone that seems to suggest anything that could seem intruding on their position, for lack of better phrasing. But what you said makes perfect sense, and agree with your explanation.

and yes...there is always at LEAST one rule that is misinterpreted. Haha!

Yeah, I guess some of the non-ultimate challenges would be fun for me, and a simple solution. (I could just do one per month!)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm glad you didn't think I was jumping on the suggestion like an angry lion or something, haha. If it ever seems that way, I'm definitely not. I know I may come across the wrong way sometimes though, so if anyone ever feels like I'm just shooting them down, believe me, I don't mean to sound like that.

But yeah, there's always one rule or something I have to explain a lot. XD I think it's because I am not that great at wording things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back