• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Console Games Dying..."

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
  • ILU for epic reply, since this is the discussion I was hoping for. 8D
    Thanks ._.

as well as the 360 and the PS3 still being very powerful consoles. The Crytek engine has only just pushed the PS3's graphics to the limit and I am not sure about the 360.
    There is no real need for a new console and if you look at the motion controllers from Microsoft and Sony, you could consider them the 'new' consoles, Microsoft's more than Sony's.

Er... CryEngine is pretty darn old. Perhaps you meant CryEngine 3. Now, last I checked, computers had a bit of difficulty handling games using CryEngine /2/. I don't know what Crytek is doing, but trying to put CryEngine 3 on a console and having it do the same beautiful performance CryEngine has been known to do on the PC seems like a pretty steep goal to me.

With the Kinect, that opens up so many different possibilities for games for Microsoft. They have whole body scanning and full motion control, so the sky is the limit with that for them.

From what I hear, Kinect has responsiveness problems, which require people to do more exaggerated motions, which in turn means you're now getting a standing workout while playing games. I... can't help but think "This is why Nintendo doesn't attempt to sense your legs. So at least you can /sit/." That, and the Microsoft and Sony are both waaaaaay late to that market. What I'm trying to say here is that Kinect and the move are probably not going to have anywhere near the same success the Wii did.

With Sony, they only have a better version of the Wii's motion controller. (Don't shoot me for saying that, from what I have seen, the Move is more responsive than the Wii, but I could be wrong.)
    However, even though they only have that, there are still a lot of routes they can go down with a more, hardcore development companies behind them, as Nintendo didn't really have the big AAA titles on their Wii.

Um... actually not that simple. Here, let me explane Wiimote vs Sony Move
    When it comes down to it, here is what you can expect in terms of differences using them.
    The Wiimote, is significantly better at accurate aiming, and detecting fast movements, This is mostly because the Sony Move does not actually use the ball and camera for pointing and aiming, which was dumb on their part. That and they lack devices called accelerators, which is what allows a Wiimote to detect faster hand motions. And yes, any remotely fit human can move their arms fast enough to screw up the Move.

The Sony Move, is significantly better at responding to any sort of twisting motion. (Please note that the Wii Motion Plus uses the exact technology that gives the Move this advantage. So the Wii actually has an addon that removes this weakness, utterly.)

Soo... in other words, you might be a bit surprised.

the motion controllers have almost taken the place of a new console. It will be an interesting few years to see what happens.p

Also, looking at the past, addons rarely ever extend the life of a console all that much. >.<

Years
  • The only thing I foresee doing any serious damage to consoles is the trend away from discs and on toward download services that has been going on for PCs the past five or so years, and that likely won't do much because a decent gaming PC is still more expensive than a console, and most people newly into gaming don't see the PC as a gaming platform since advertising efforts are rarely focused on a PC version of a game.

I do think Nintendo will be next to release, since I think I had read somewhere in the past year that they were aiming for a replacement for the Wii by 2014. Or was that something I read that turned out to be the 3DS? The Wii is certainly the most outdated in terms of hardware capabilities.

Years
  • The only thing I foresee doing any serious damage to consoles is the trend away from discs and on toward download services that has been going on for PCs the past five or so years...

I can see this happening too. Sony tried that with the PSPgo, where you could only download games from the PSN store, but the main reason that fell completely on its face, was because there was no backwards compatibility, so people would have just wasted all that money on their PSP and not be able to play them again, because Sony hadn't brought out a way to make the UMD's digital, except saying, "you can download 5 free games...". Didn't really help.​

Zurenriri

Has What Grass-Types Crave
    Years
  • Hahaha. Oh wait, this dude is serious.

iPhone games have the limelight for three months tops. By the end of this summer nobody's even going to remember what Angry Birds is. Console and PC games are a more mature market, and their games have more solidity. The number of people still playing Final Fantasy XII, Counter-Strike, Civilization IV... these all greatly outnumber people sitting on a Nokia phone playing Snake.

What these iPhone developers are doing is introducing video games to people that would never walk into a video game shop looking for a 360 title. However, for the true gamers, that's like saying Bejeweled is going to become competitive.

Years
  • By your definition of 'limelight' Angry Birds should've stopped being popular by March last year.

Years
  • Actually Wii is the least popular console. :X but no, the Console is not dieing, a phone or ipad can't support what a PC or Console can.

Um... this article says you're wrong. In fact, it says you're completely backwards.

On the other hand, it's true that there's little evidence suggesting the iPad, let alone a phone, is killing either PC or console gaming in any way. They can't even kill the PSP, let alone the DS! Forget killing console gaming. It ain't happening...yet.

Actually, I think he might be right.

I would bet £2341234523 that at least 50% of all Wii buyers got sick of it and bought a PS3 or 360.

On the topic, Nintendo have forced the games market into a more casual market but I don't think this will have too mcuh of an impact on £40 games, they will still be released. iPod games are completely different. I do agree that games will be mainly downloads soon too, microsoft have already tried it with 'Games On Demand' but they are horribly overpriced, I think I laughed for about ten minutes straight when I saw Halo Reach - £49.99.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Actually, I think he might be right.

I would bet £2341234523 that at least 50% of all Wii buyers got sick of it and bought a PS3 or 360.

On the topic, Nintendo have forced the games market into a more casual market

Quote 2 contradicts Quote 1.

And... this link here suggests you have nothing but your own personal bias as to why you think that. Coupled with the fact you provided no evidence.

Last edited:
    Years

• Quote 2 contradicts Quote 1.

And... this link here suggests you have nothing but your own personal bias as to why you think that. Coupled with the fact you provided no evidence.

First of all, it was simply an assumption I have made based on people I know who own a wii.

Not neccessarily, just because I believe most wii owners will have bought another console doesn't mean that the wii hasn't influenced the market more to the casual side.

Also them return rates only suggest reliability and I never said that these wii owners returned them, I still have my wii sitting there collecting dust.

As for evidence, I'll just go with a survey suggesting that most owners of a wii and another console consider it their secondary console.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I do agree that the Wii has lost a little flare over the past year, but Nintendo couldn't have released the 3DS at a better time. That will boost their profit a lot more now.

I am not sure what they can do with the Wii now, unless they start getting AAA titles on it instead of strange knock-offs.​

Years
  • I do agree that the Wii has lost a little flare over the past year, but Nintendo couldn't have released the 3DS at a better time. That will boost their profit a lot more now.

I am not sure what they can do with the Wii now, unless they start getting AAA titles on it instead of strange knock-offs.​

Agreed, Nintendo need to replace the wii now as I think having played both, the 3DS is surprisingly technically superior.

Years
  • Meh, I personally disagree. They're constantly coming out with new generations of consoles and I think people are way more likely to purchase games for these than games with less depth (I'm guessing, not actually owing an Iphone) on Iphones etc.

Yurusumaji

The Collector
    Years
  • Bullhonkey.

iPhone games are fun when you're bored out of your mind, but they will never ever replace the awesome that is the console game. Console games have story, they have life, they have complex controls and combo sequences and they just overall have more to them than your standard iPhone game. Plus with trade-in bonuses and the ability to buy used games, not everyone has to spend $50-60 on a new game if they can't afford it.

It just isn't going to happen and that man is dreaming.

syotipoke

Nub3r Whatever
    Years
  • What was that dev thinking? Gaming consoles are consoles for playing games. iPhones are for teens, not for gaming. I'll believe that guy when pigs fly.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    PC gaming will die first. Its much more of a niche gaming category that won't be appealed to as much because of stuff like this and console game (all three of which are extremely different), and will slowly fade away.

It won't necessarily happen, but it would happen if anything.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    PC gaming will die first. Its much more of a niche gaming category that won't be appealed to as much because of stuff like this and console game (all three of which are extremely different), and will slowly fade away.

It won't necessarily happen, but it would happen if anything.

You sure about that? With digital distribution stores like Steam(and their 30 million accounts) becoming more popular and games focusing more on online multiplayer, it seems like PC gaming will stay around the longest, at least longer than consoles at least.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    The main drawbacks for PC gaming (imo) would be the constant upgrading whereas the consoles stay generally the same for years to come up until the next generation comes along.

I still think Angry birds can go rot.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    The main drawbacks for PC gaming (imo) would be the constant upgrading whereas the consoles stay generally the same for years to come up until the next generation comes along.

I still think Angry birds can go rot.
    Actually, most games played on a computer with 2005 technology can probably be played with a 2010 game, with the exception of any Crytek game. Games are now reaching a point where graphics can't improve without throwing even more money at it, and it will likely stay this way for a while.

But I do agree, it is annoying when you buy a game only to realize that you don't have the proper specs to run it.

Back