• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: CoroCoro reveals Rockruff's evolutions & new Ultra Beasts for Sun and Moon!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • UB-02 beauty looks awesome! I really can't even guess what the story behind what UB-02 is--are they the same creature in two separate forms? I just love the mystery around the ultrabeasts. Whatever they are, they're really like nothing we've ever seen in Pokémon.

And Lugarugan looks awesome! The Sun form is my favorite of the two, but since I'll be maining Pokémon Moon, I'll have to be sure to evolve it late at night in order to get the Sun form :P

The closest thing to the UBs I can think of are the non-Pokemon enemies fought in the making of the Pokestar Studios' movies. Honestly, the UBs sound like something out of one of those movie skits.

Years
  • Well I have to say, the Ultra Beast seem to be going off on deep aquatic creatures route.

UB-01??????? = Jellyfish
    UB-02BEAUTY = Isopoda
    UB-02EXPANSION = Some type of lobster mosquito crustacean? WHAT ARE YOU! D:<

I find them very interesting in Pokemon Sun and Moon. They have this Giratina vibe about them, the difference is that the Ultra Beast are invading this dimension and no one KNOWS why or what they want. Another thing I find interesting about Lillie, Lusamine, and Gladion is their motive to help Pokemon for their own personal reasons. It's a lot of story plot develop with them and I want to understand them more.

The Rockruff's evolution is to be expected, they're both cool. Rockruff's midday evolution has caught my eye though. It's stone-spike collar has similarities just like Type:Null's mutated Arceus collar. I already know the cat is out of the bag, but Aether Foundation really did try to play Arceus and mutated it to the point until it wasn't recognizable. Hmm... Gladion respects Type:Null power and utilized it to enforce Team Skulls ambitions. The plot thickens... and more questions just build up. x - x

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • The closest thing to the UBs I can think of are the non-Pokemon enemies fought in the making of the Pokestar Studios' movies. Honestly, the UBs sound like something out of one of those movie skits.

You're right o: Basically non-Pokémon that you battle in the same way you'd battle Pokémon, which might open the door to all kinds of new possibilities, like maybe they can use more than four moves against you in battle, or maybe they have crazy high stats and HP (like beyond the normal limitations of Pokémon stat calculation). That'd be pretty awesome because they'd feel more challenging, like proper boss battles. Just speculation though~

And yea, I don't think the games will necessarily lose popularity just because of the new elements introduced. It's just way too early to render a judgment on the games, they haven't even come out yet, after all.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I know I'm probably the only one who thought this, but when I first saw a picture of UB-02, Expansion, I thought it was some sort of evolution for Oricorio's Baile forme.

I see a mosquito on steroids.. I like it haha.

I like the werewolf, I might use both if they have different type/stat/moveset.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Don't care about the Ultra Beasts at all.

Rockruff's evos are okay I guess. The day evolution looks like, nothing to complain about really, but the night one is off. It looks kind off tho. I would have liked it had it be like... Rockruff had a counterpart (that looked different obvi), and only one could evolve into the day to day form, and the other at night into night form. It just looks weird that Rockruff evolves into this red thing that doesn't even look that similar. Not a bad design by any means but I just think the evolution looks weird.

Pretty disappointing issue tho, hopefully the Sept. 14th trailer shows more.
    It's a Wearwolf tho...

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • It's a Wearwolf tho...

Yes I'm very well aware of that fact so not sure where about you formed the opinion that I was dumb enough not to realise that?

I know it's a werewolf, and I like the design as a standalone Pokemon, I just don't think the evolution looks like it belongs to Rockruff (mainly because of the red color). They could have easily made a few tweaks here and there (such as it's fur being a dark brown/black and not a weird red color) to make it look more akin to Rockruff instead of looking like they wanted to recreate Zoroark.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2021
    I love Lugarugans Midnight forme! It's my favorite Pokemon now tied with Reshiram. I love it's Dark design. I honestly didn't think I would like any Pokemon as much as Reshiram until now.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Question : Is Rockruff confirmed to evolution Once ?
    Since he is connected to Starter so I thought that he might evolve twice like all Starter pokemon.

I just found New scan --

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Welp, looks like the evolutions are version exclusive.

Really! Huh... Well I guess it's good I'm getting Moon after all then.
    Well that's kind of lame that Rockruff's evolutions are Version Exclusives, I personally thought the evolutions being based on actual time of the day was way more interesting and fun. :/

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • These new shots make me love Rockruff's evolution even more! The bottom screenshot of the Midnight form in perticular looks really badass. I really can't wait to use them (I'll use Rockruff during my first playthrough of each game). One thing that kind of bugs me though.... does anyone else feel that the change from Rockruff to the Midnight form is a little.... drastic? Like it almost doesn't resemble Rockruff at all! Hell, I'm starting to doubt it's even Rock type anymore.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    These new shots make me love Rockruff's evolution even more! The bottom screenshot of the Midnight form in perticular looks really badass. I really can't wait to use them (I'll use Rockruff during my first playthrough of each game). One thing that kind of bugs me though.... does anyone else feel that the change from Rockruff to the Midnight form is a little.... drastic? Like it almost doesn't resemble Rockruff at all! Hell, I'm starting to doubt it's even Rock type anymore.

The biggest difference to me is the color, but I like the fact that it's sorta flesh colored in a way. Compliments the werewolf inspiration nicely imo. Other than that it looks like the Midday form, just, wilder.

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
  • According to Serebii:
    Midday form gets a new move called AccelRock
    Midnight form can use Counter

I hope Midnight form Lugarugan is not another Dark/Fighting type because Pangoro and Scrafty already good enough for this type. It's just that they decided to show the move Counter in CoroCoro really upsets me a lot :(

p/s: Judging on the name AccelRock (translate from Japan I assume), it could be a Quick Attack variant in Rock-type

Years
  • I'm sure they'll both stay at least part Rock-type. Night form I could see becoming Rock/Dark since that was the first type combination mentioned when rumors and leaks started mentioning Rockruff's possible evolution.

Edit: New juicy CoroCoro pics of Lugarugan!
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler tags due to large images.

Last edited:

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I didn't like Rockruff at first, but its evolutions look pretty cool, especially its Midnight evolution. If they're version exclusives, I'll consider using Rockruff if I get Pokemon Moon. If I get Pokemon Sun, Rockruff has less of a chance to make it in my team.

Back