• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cursing

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I don't like it. I don't swear and it hurts to say the words at rare times as that's the only way my mates will understand something like when I ask a question on what someone said/did. But I say it quietly/quickly to let it not be acknowledged. Which brings me to the point that modern society's vocabulary has dwindelled due to swears. It's all the kids say these days. They can't get a sentence in without one coming up. I think it's inappropriate. I don't know how they came about thoug I did look-up the f word's history on Wiki. I feel bad about myself when I think of when I kept saying s**t when I was like 5 or 6 at every misfortune, peer language did it, and I thank my uncle-in-law for getting of to stop then and there. You can just use other words.

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    What are your opinions on cursing?
    Some say they're just words, but idk, they seem to be more than just words yet just words at the same time. It's the sort of 'thing' that doens't have a definate answer of why they're offensive.
    Think they're inappropriate?
    I think it depends on the context of the swear word used. If it's directed as a joke or in a kind manner then I find it all right. But when someone fluently swears I find it really annoying and quite rude. It's turns me of tbh.

Think they're just another word in the dictionary and mean the same thing emotionally as any other?
    Yes and no. I sort of hard to answer in definate if you get what I am trying to say~

Think they're just words used to exaggerate emotions?
    Is suppose, but there are so many other wqords you can use. I mean they'res more than 1000 words in existence; easy! But I think many people use those because they seem to be really 'bad'. But I'd like to know who actually classified them as 'bad'

Do you care if someone curses?
    Sort of. I do but I don't. I suppose I find it quite uncomfortable when I am around fluent swearers because I was not raised in an enviroment wiht much swearing. - Yes, my mum and dad did swear but they didn't swear 24/7 like some families do.

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
    Depends on who's swearing, and what is involved. I'm ignorant in most cases, but if it involves my mother (e.g) I won't hesitate to go rage mode and spinzaku-kick 'em all.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I don't mind cursing between friends only. I curse a lot when it comes to something that pisses me off, but rarely do I intend to harm someone by my swearing.

Kelp

<3
    Years
    Cursing to me doesn't seem all too bad. Like mentioned, they're merely words. On the contrary though, I don't swear. I can understand how many people find it offensive, and even though my opinion differs, I respect theirs by not swearing.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    When I swear it really depends on who I'm around. I generally don't do it in the public setting, because people may or may not find them offensive. However, when I'm hanging out with say... a sibling, I let them slip out every now and then. Not around my Mom or anything though.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i dont really mind. I mean if your going to over use them and hurt others than i mind. But just a normall "oh s***" i honestlly don't care

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I don't mind it too much... anyone who knows me knows I curse like a sailor half the time, usually over things like computer crashes and having to wait in line for too long.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I don't really have an opinion in cursing itself. It's just like any other word around, except it can be used to express over exaggeration, just for the sentence, or anger. Think they're inappropriate?
    Some can consider curse words inappropriate however I could care less what others think, it's in my daily vocabulary(and a lot others) so I really never considered it inappropriate.
    Think they're just another word in the dictionary and mean the same thing emotionally as any other?
    Yes, they quite very do in my opinion.
    Absolutely not, they can be used for more than just moments of exaggeration.
    Not at all.

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
    Cursing is a great way to relieve yourself of negative emotions. Other than that, I'm pretty much neutral. I occasionally curse to fool around with my friends, but it's nothing I'd advocate.

Absolutely... not. I don't even see why people consider it offensive. It provides comic relief in most situations. However, if someone doesn't tolerate cursing, then by all means don't do it.

Yes and yes.

I like to think of them as "universal" terms. They not only have to exaggerate emotion, but they can also provide comic relief, as I stated above.

Not at all.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
    I curse a lot around my friends. Usually it's to make my exclamation stronger or to show I'm annoyed with something. I never really think anything of it, I can easily say 'F' you to anyone I know without me or them minding. What I don't do is calling someone something, that just seems kind of wrong to me.

Years
    When I'm around my friends I swear naturally, and I'm aware that sometimes I do it in excess. They don't mind though, so I guess it's okay. Well I'm around family, and people such as teachers/people I should respect etc. I don't swear though. So yeah :D

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Personally, I don't curse; online or offline. I feel like while curse words are just another set of words in the dictionary, I also believe there are better words to use in place of them when making an argument or statement that might be more appropriate for the situation. So, I guess you can say that when people use curse words, it's just strengthening how they feel with a word that others might find to be rude or inappropriate. Like everything else though, there's usually a right time and place to use them if necessary.

Something I really don't like hearing though is when someone OVER DOES IT with curse words left and right. I mean, that's when I find it highly inappropriate. Another thing is when kids that are so young are already starting to curse either because their growing up around it, or think it's cool to do it. I find that pretty downgrading for them when they can be learning more advanced words to use in place of them to further their vocabulary.

...and now I sound like an English teacher. Oh gosh. @_@

Years
    I personally don't swear, just because I can always find other words that are applicable in that situation (however, the only time I do remember swearing was when I spilled boiling water on my arm, and I'm sure that would have been most peoples' reactions). That being said, I don't mind if somebody swears occassionally, but I can't stand people whose every second word in their sentence is a swear, especially when it adds nothing to the conversation.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Hmm... I remember when I used to curse like a sailor ^__^ fun times.

I don't mind swearing, really. But I've learned to recognize atmospheres when its appropriate to swear and when it's not. For example, it's appropriate to swear and scream at my brother if he's failing his classes (Which means I've been swearing more than normal recently...)

Swearing is just to exaggerate emotions. Mostly due to anger or sexual intercourse >__> Otherwise, it's a cruise control for cool gone wrong.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I don't mind it much. You really have to be spamming them excessively to get me riled up.

Depends on the context. Like any word, there is a time and place for their proper usage.
    It's inappropriate to cuss because you can, just to offend someone and nothing more. If you emphatically drop the f-bomb because the situation sucks ass and could be a helluva lot better, it's a different story. Sometimes you just gotta drop the bomb to stay frosty.

I think the taboo on them is ridiculous.
    This should speak well for what I believe they mean. Yes...in certain contexts, those words mean other things, but I think the taboo on that topic is just as damn ridiculous as the taboo on swearing in general is.

Naturally, they do have IMPACT! That's what swears, oaths, curses and such are for.

It's kinda like using a meat tenderizer. Too little use on a tough cut and it stays tough. Too much on a tender cut just ruins it.

Tender meat is often easier to swallow...same goes for situations. If you can drop a few f-bombs, soften up the problem, you juuuuuust might get by on the skin of your teeth. ;p
    ...Or at least you feel like you will. It certainly lets some steam off, because no man, woman or child can think clearly when stressed. It's a flaw of the species really. ;)

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    Cursing should not be used by anyone who is under the age of 16 and if you do use it if your 16 or older you should not use it in school,work or around elders.It is just disrespectful.Words are a way to exspress are selfs.

Ayselipera

They're just words that really express your disdain for something. That or they can add humor to a conversation depending on what you're talking about.

They can be. It's one thing to swear around friends or close people to you, but it's another thing to do it all the time in public. I just see it as very inconsiderate when a group of people walk into a store and start swearing loudly and laughing. Especially when really young or really old people are around.

In a way yes, but it's how you use them that really matters. You can throw in a swear just for the sake of humor, but when they're directed at people it just becomes a more intense insult.

Pretty much.

I already sort of answered this. For the most part no. It just depends on where you're doing it.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    I don't swear much maybe just a little online when I'm in the chatbox on my site but in RL I don't curse. My sister curse a lot though which I'm not too found of.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I dont use cursing as part of my vocabulary. It just sounds werid when I curse. But when it is unessary to curse I usually say "Hey watch your language, there are virgin ears around!" That usually gets them to fix their potty mouths, after laughing for a good 20 seconds at my comment xD

Back