• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cursing

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
  • I never swear around adults or loudly in public, but swearing has become part of my everyday language. Every single person swears in my year, it has just become part of our ordinary speech. So yeah I swear a lot XD I try not to online though, as I can never know how the person will take, like if they realize it is a joke or not.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I swear quite a lot, where I live you cant really finnish a sentence without throwing in a swear word (okay maybe thats an exaggeration). I'm trying to avoid swearing as often, it sounds so common and unintelligent, those arent words I want people to associate with me.

*edit*
    Sorry the way I worded that sounded a bit rude. Just to clear up, its not like I think people who swear are common or unintelligent, its more in the way of when I swear I sound common (when you include my bad habit of mumbling when I talk). I would still let out some choice words if I were in incredible pain or something, but I try to avoid using the harsher ones in a mundayne conversation. I really dont mind if other people swear around me though and I dont think less of them because of it (unless they are doing it at a time or place that is inappropriate).

Last edited:

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I myself probably have the dirtiest mouth amongst my friends. So I really wouldn't care if someone cursed. I wouldn't appreciate it if someone just randomly yelled out 'fudge' in the middle of the train (It's happened; I live in New York City. -_-). But in general I really wouldn't give a sh-... I mean, sugar honey iced tea. =] (Honestly, I find that pretty lame) I never saw the bad side of cursing. I mean, they're words, no? We humans just give them a bad name.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I have a bit of an instinctive aversion to them, not sure I'll ever really know what the exact reason is. It seems like only sweat when I'm so incredibly frustrated that I can't verbalize myself better than using a four letter word. When other people curse, I tend to have these "Oh...okay then," moments that make me feel kinda awkward. It's nothing I've ever thought too deeply about, but I guess I just naturally don't like hearing the words too often despite what anyone will say about them just being words.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    I curse all the time
    I curse when I'm mad
    I curse to describe something
    Just all the time.
    And it doesnt bother me when someone else does it

Years
  • What are your opinions on cursing?
    Uh, well, I mean cursing is ignorant vocabulary in my view, but I mean, I curse because it slips out or I was angry.

Think they're inappropriate?

Yeah, I guess so. If my parents, teachers, and other adults who supervise me tell me not to say it, or you'll get a warning or punishment about it, I'd guess it's inappropriate.

Think they're just another word in the dictionary and mean the same thing emotionally as any other?

Yeah

Think they're just words used to exaggerate emotions?
    Pretty much, haha. xD

Do you care if someone curses?
    Not really, but if they're cursing all the time, in every sentence they say, I'm going to get annoyed.

Drekin

We all live in a...
    Years
    I curse but only around friends or around people I know enough to not care if I do or not.

As in the last question, I think it is appropriate to do it around people you know don't have a problem with it. I really watch what I say when I'm around children or people I don't know well.

Sometimes.

No, unless it is directly pointed at me or at someone else then it will probably anger me.

Edit: I almost forgot, racial slurs really anger me even when they aren't directed towards someone.

Last edited:

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    What are your opinions on cursing?
    I truly am greatly annoyed with cursing. It compeltley every where.
    Yes, when it is describing something or directed at someone. However if they say the true meaning of the word like B**** is to a female dog thats fine.

Sometimes.

Yes, if it is pointed at me. But really no i cant tell people what to do

Vulpes

Vulpes
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2011
    I believe that, yes, swearing is just the same as using any other word someone would use to show great feeling and emotion. I often use words when in anger, like most would, or when I'm feeling hyper and silly I just let it out for the laughs. What makes a "cuss" word bad? Well, you see, when people WANT to think and believe a word is bad, that makes it bad. But they are words just like any other, letters... LINES... their meanings are only made out to be bad. Take the "B" word for example: It was used first to mean a female dog (usually a mother dog nursing her litter) but over time people used that word in different ways to MAKE it bad. It's still used to identify a nursing dog, but it has some edge to it when you hear/say it because of what people want/think it means now... That's what I think.

Equal Eyes

Happy Up Here
    Years
  • "A curse (also called execration) is any expressed wish that some form of adversity or misfortune will befall or attach to some other entity—one or more persons, a place, or an object. In particular, "curse" may refer to a wish that harm or hurt will be inflicted by any supernatural powers, such as a spell , a prayer, an imprecation, an execration,magic, witchcraft, a god, a natural force, or a spirit. In many belief systems, the curse itself (or accompanying ritual is considered to have some causative force in the result."

I'm pretty sure I have never "cursed" in my lifetime.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I only curse when I'm really mad. That happens rarely, though. If I curse and I'm not mad, I usually apologize and excuse myself. It's 50% accidental.

Blaze The Hedgehog

The Flaming Wolf!
    Years
  • I do it all the time. Not in public, however when I'm with my friends is when I'm most prominent. It's not a choice, It's just become a habit that's become really bad =D

HoopyFrood

Designated Robo-Hipster
    Years
  • I never curse infront of parents or my elders simply from how I was raised, however..

Besides that I curse twenty fo' seven, seven days a week. Ladies become instantly attracted to the phantasmagorical sound of the curse words that slip through my accented lips. Thats what we Brits do, we get that ass.

Amen.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • I swear ALL THE TIME, I swear at my friends, teachers, family. I swear at everybody.
    I don't care if anybody swears at me, because they won't, they'll regret it, because I'll punch them soo hard they can't even move. Trust me, I've done that before.

I am actually very impressed with myself for not being banned from PC, because I thought I'll be banned right after I made an account. XD

Ice Car

Banned
    Years

I don't see why "Swear Words" are classified as such. They are just a way of saying something, I'm guessing it's just how it sounds. I don't see why "Ass" is a swear word, while "Jerk" isn't yet it can mean both ass and, well, the "off". I don't see why "****" is a swear word when the word "Sex" or other words that mean the same thing aren't. It's just a word, why must it be classified as a bad word?

Yes and no. My true opinion is yes, but I act as if it is disrespectful, because, well, everyone else does. I won't say any swear words in the company of people I don't know, or anyone for that matter, because it's rude to them.

Think they're just another word in the dictionary and mean the same thing emotionally as any other?

EXACTLY. Also, read first paragraph.

Think they're just used to exaggerate emotions?

? Not quite sure I understand.

Depends. I couldn't care less if I hear someone curse once or twice, even at me, but if they constantly yell out curses like an ignorant 3 year old, I'll be sure to fire a few insults back at them and give them a piece of my mind.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    My opinion on cursing is.. uh I don't care. I don't care when someone curses. I won't care if someone uses a swear word a thousand times in a single sentence. It's their problem, not mine. If someone wants to curse, well.. just go ahead.

I curse.. sometimes. When the situation calls for it, or if it's just initiated by a rush of adrenaline.

Years
  • I curse from time to time... it's pretty rare though. The one occasion I can't hold it in is if I've hurt myself lol :D I'm pretty sure that would be the case with a lot of people lol.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Don't care.

Don't care, but it gets annoying if it's like every other word because it becomes hard to understand the person.

To some people. I tend to use a degree of tact whenever I'm in public, and since I know they bother a lot of people I won't use them. When I'm with my friends, that's different.

Obviously they are, though exaggerate's an unusual choice of word. I'd go with "emphasize."

Again, not unless it's every other word.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I swear a lot, but not when I around people in positions of power/authority (family members, lecturers etc.). They are like other words in the dictionary, but if one uses them too much, they have the ability to lose their force and impact and to just become subsumed into the general vernacular. Take 'hell' and 'damn' for example: once thought of as words that would lead you straight to the gates of Hell (the place, obviously), nowadays they can be heard uncensored on US network television - one of the more conservative outlets for swearing. If people become more assimilated to swearing, pretty soon, the swear filter will probably have fewer four-letter words to replace with asterisks. And it's a ****ing good time!

Back