• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit Chat - Summer thread coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I sometimes get flashbacks of places I've never seen before when I see them but I've seen them in dreams. I enjoy that. :(

I want the non-dream place to be real ;__; Unovaaaaa why not deliver!

Why not try lucid dreaming then haha.

I actually managed to do that once, but unfortunately as soon as I realized that I was in a dream and was about to start having fun (I was in the middle of like building a city lol) I woke up. I haven't managed to do that ever again.

Years
  • Never understood how people could have lucid dreams. I'm always 100% suckered into thinking dreams are real while I'm having them.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Never understood how people could have lucid dreams. I'm always 100% suckered into thinking dreams are real while I'm having them.
    It only happens occasionally for me and it's never a pleasant experience. Like, my last lucid dream (which interestingly enough happened the night after I was talking to my mom about them), I knew it was a dream and I knew it wasn't real but I was suffocating. I tried to put all my effort into waking myself up and it wasn't working and I was getting so panicked and it really sucked. XD;

So I'm not in a hurry to try to do this on a regular basis. It aaalways ends up with me about to die in some weird fashion when I manage to wake myself up knowingly. I can see how it'd be cool to have them when you're in control of the dream itself too but my sleep is already weird enough, I don't need to be trying weird things with my REM cycle too. :(

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Never understood how people could have lucid dreams. I'm always 100% suckered into thinking dreams are real while I'm having them.

You can get around to doing this by some reaaaaaally long exercises or something. You can google it, but basically it simply involves finding a pattern in your dreams and being aware.

orrrrrr you can just use this (something I saw on Kickstarter haha)

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • The idea of lucid dreaming always scared the crap out of me. Like Erica said, dreaming that you're suffocating or something and being awake the whole time and not being able to move or do anything about it just creeps me the hell out. :(

idk why people would actually WANT to experience this.

Cherrim

Years
  • The idea of lucid dreaming always scared the crap out of me. Like Erica said, dreaming that you're suffocating or something and being awake the whole time and not being able to move or do anything about it just creeps me the hell out. :(

Well, there are two common definitions of lucid dreaming. A dream is lucid if: 1) you recognize it is a dream, and/or: 2) can control the dream. Most people who talk about lucid dreaming mean the second one but unfortunately, I've never had experience with that. >_<;; I can see the appeal in being able to control the dream, though. It'd be kind of cool!

I had an almost-lucid dream last night, actually. I recognized that something was off and that I'd been through the scenario before (I've had this dream before), but I thought I'd just gone back in time and had to relive it. I probably should have clued in though because in the dream, I worked at Wal-Mart and lived in Halifax and not only have I never worked at Wal-Mart, but when I lived in Halifax I was like... 12. XD; I don't think they'd have hired me.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    The idea of lucid dreaming always scared the crap out of me. Like Erica said, dreaming that you're suffocating or something and being awake the whole time and not being able to move or do anything about it just creeps me the hell out. :(

That's not really lucid dreaming O.O Even though I don't really practice lucid dreaming (the one time it happened was purely by chance lol) but it's basically the concept that was explored in Inception. Lucid Dreaming is simply the fact that you're aware that you're in a dream and so you can control everything that happens in the dream, including you building cities, etc.

What you mentioned is something else, I forgot what it was called xD But what you mentioned was basically a prank by people online.

Cherrim

Years
  • Like I said, there's more than one defintion of lucid dreaming. Yeah, the most common one is that you can control the dreams but I think the main requirement is that you are aware it's a dream. Lucid means "having, showing, or characterized by an ability to think clearly and rationally" so I'd say that more than describes knowing you're in a dream, even if you can't do anything about it.

o_O How could this definition be an "online prank"...?

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    The idea of lucid dreaming always scared the crap out of me. Like Erica said, dreaming that you're suffocating or something and being awake the whole time and not being able to move or do anything about it just creeps me the hell out. :(

That'ssss sleep paralysis and it's a form of lucid dreaming, and I had it a while ago but it only lasts for like 3 seconds o.o

Cherrim

Years
  • I know sleep paralysis is a thing but I think he's talking about knowing you're in a dream (not being "awake" which is the case with sleep paralysis) and not being able to do anything about it if it's a nightmare.

I hear sleep paralysis is more common if you try to lucid dream which is probably the main reason I've never tried to get into it. That sounds too terrifying to be worth it. ><;

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    ohh could be

It was really scary but then again it lasts so short that it's over really soon and you just fall asleep again ;o;

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    o_O How could this definition be an "online prank"...?

There had been this huge burst of posts on social networking sites some time ago, which basically made people do a certain thing before sleeping (I think it was "Keep very still and keep your eyes open" something like that) in order to be able to lucid dream. It was actually a trick to make people undergo sleep paralysis.

There's also another thing I've heard about sleep paralysis, in which you can see an old lady (or some other, similarly creepy person) standing near your bed, which is scary as hell.

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well you don't see it, it's a myth because during sleep paralysis you feel like there is a weight on your chest and you can't move or breathe well (because you're in such a crooked position). You don't actually see an old lady sitting on your chest lol.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Well you don't see it, it's a myth because during sleep paralysis you feel like there is a weight on your chest and you can't move or breathe well (because you're in such a crooked position). You don't actually see an old lady sitting on your chest lol.

Not... on your chest, lol. Near the edge of your bed. It's probably because in some cases it's followed by hallucinations and this is a common one among those who go through this.

Cherrim

Years
  • Sleep paralysis happens when you're in REM sleep, but your eyes are open and you can process the things in the room around you. But since you're still in the "dreaming" stage, sometimes you can have hallucinations. The difficulty breathing doesn't help and fear + lack of oxygen usually makes you see things that you'll perceive as scary. I think that's how it goes, anyway. Regardless, any visions you see are all in your head.

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020

Not... on your chest, lol. Near the edge of your bed. It's probably because in some cases it's followed by hallucinations and this is a common one among those who go through this.
    280px-John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG

There's the myth I was talking about. Old demon lady/person on your chest.
    Anyways yeah could be never hallucinated during though.

Cherrim

Years
  • I love that painting. I find this stuff fascinating, even if it really scares me to think about having to go through it. XD; But the idea of this sort of phenomenon happening way back in the classical era or earlier and people trying to explain it and come to terms with it in whatever way they know how is always interesting.

I've heard the "on your chest" version more than the beside the bed one. Probably the "creepiest" version for me is the figure sitting next to your bed but leaning on your chest right in your face as you sleep. ;P

Yoshikko

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Ya same, especially the dark horse which is obviously symbolic for something, tried to look it up just now but it's too latee cba. And there's probably lots of variations of it anyway. Love all myths though!!
    I was thinking of trying lucid dreaming a while ago but the feeling of triggering sleep paralysis "unnaturally" is scary because I don't know how long it will stay then or how much it would do :s

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    But the idea of this sort of phenomenon happening way back in the classical era or earlier and people trying to explain it and come to terms with it in whatever way they know how is always interesting.

Well like the painting I guess most of them blamed demons. xD Except for the thinkers, I guess.

Cherrim

Years
  • Ya same, especially the dark horse which is obviously symbolic for something, tried to look it up just now but it's too latee cba. And there's probably lots of variations of it anyway. Love all myths though!!
    I was thinking of trying lucid dreaming a while ago but the feeling of triggering sleep paralysis "unnaturally" is scary because I don't know how long it will stay then or how much it would do :s
    *u* There are so many mythological explanations for real-life phenomena. I could read those kinds of things all day.

Triggering sleep paralysis at all is what turns me off of it. I don't care how long it lasts, I don't want it to happen at all. XD; (But also, given my lucid dreaming track record... yeah no thanks for any of it.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back