• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    We have a few channels with anime out here in Canada. YTV, G4, and Razer. YTV is the main anime source though, since they air Gundam SEED, Gundam SEED Destiny, BLEACH, Fullmetal Alchemist, Eureka seveN, InuYasha, and they start airing the Death Note dub next week. =x

ooohhh YTV is gunna start airing Death Note? OO: Thats good! Despite the fact that english voice actors suck, I still wanna see the rest of the show. DD: (I can't find episode 8 ANYWHERE DD: ) Oh, you forgot to mention that YTV also has Zatch Bell (ew) and Naruto (yay!). They also used to air .hack//sign and Ghost in the Shell. .hack//sign was cool; but they cancelled it. ;_;

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    ooohhh YTV is gunna start airing Death Note? OO: Thats good! Despite the fact that english voice actors suck, I still wanna see the rest of the show. DD: (I can't find episode 8 ANYWHERE DD: ) Oh, you forgot to mention that YTV also has Zatch Bell (ew) and Naruto (yay!). They also used to air .hack//sign and Ghost in the Shell. .hack//sign was cool; but they cancelled it. ;_;

I was only talking about their Bionix stuff. They also have Yu-Gi-Oh, Yu-Gi-Oh GX, Idaten Jump, B daman, and other stuff. And yes, how dare they put the anime in our language when the bring it over. You obviously don't watch Bionix from 9:30-11:30 on Friday nights if you think English VAs suck.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    I get away from Gaia to escape the incurable plague of dub-bashers, and I come back to PC to find more of the same. *sigh* No rest, no respite...

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I get away from Gaia to escape the incurable plague of dub-bashers, and I come back to PC to find more of the same. *sigh* No rest, no respite...

Yeah, I don't have a problem with most dubs. The Gundam SEED Destiny dub is good (mind you, I think of Miroku every time I hear Rey speak, but still). There is no real logic behind saying "all dubs suck" at all.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2024
    People don't need logic to say something sucks. They just need to be either spiteful, angry, a smart aleck or ignorant ^^

In saying that, people do just need to see a good dub to change their minds, or at least watch one with open ears (lawl, that doesn't make sense). I recently saw a nice dub, and so my opinion of them has improved slightly ^^

bgt

R A W R
    Years
    • Age 15
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    One piece dub owns, hands down.

My pirate squad has successfully plundered Jess's booty. Working on Erica's as we speak.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
    People don't need logic to say something sucks. They just need to be either spiteful, angry, a smart aleck or ignorant ^^

In saying that, people do just need to see a good dub to change their minds, or at least watch one with open ears (lawl, that doesn't make sense). I recently saw a nice dub, and so my opinion of them has improved slightly ^^
    Indeed. Attitude makes up 90% of how we see dubs. 4kids may have soiled the good reputation of dubbing with their back alley surgeon clipping and cutting on certain animes but beleive me there are some good dubs out there. Heh, The cartoon network Dub of inuyasha Is pretty good IMO. Yeah, I know they cut out a few senes but only the nudity. I do agree.

My pirate squad has successfully plundered Jess's booty. Working on Erica's as we speak.
    Huh? I seriously hope you are talking about another dub and not the 4kids one man. XD
    Now that dub sucked.
    And I knew it sucked without even seeing the original. Dont get me wrong. One Piece is an awesome show. So is Mew Mew Power(Which 4kids also butchered, albeit not so badly) I enjoyed both. The dubbing just sucked.
    The bad part is that 4kids runs the only anime shows on any channels I get. And it's the saturday morning block of cartoons. They've since discontinued those shows though. :(
    *Sigh* I wish there was like a channel with all the animes dubbed in english without any cuts whatsoever. That'd be sooo awesome.

Years
    bgt said:
    Wait, what? D:<

But anyways, about dubs...I know I tend to get annoyed whenever I see people saying things like "all english dubs suck!", especially when referring to newer stuff...

Because really, if you compare the anime of today to anime from like...the 80's or early 90's or so, or even earlier, the stuff brought out today is definitely way better (with a few exceptions).

I remember seeing a DBZ dubbed movie (not Funimation's, it was some bootlegged thing) one time that was just so doggone awfully hilarious...poorly written dialogue, character's names mixed up, the works. I told myself that after watching that, I could not truthfully bash any recent dubs without keeping a straight face. XD Because oh, they could be worse, much much worse.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2024

As I told you before, I hate you >:|
    Indeed. Attitude makes up 90% of how we see dubs. 4kids may have soiled the good reputation of dubbing with their back alley surgeon clipping and cutting on certain animes but beleive me there are some good dubs out there. Heh, The cartoon network Dub of inuyasha Is pretty good IMO. Yeah, I know they cut out a few senes but only the nudity. I do agree.

Huh? I seriously hope you are talking about another dub and not the 4kids one man. XD
    Now that dub sucked.
    And I knew it sucked without even seeing the original. Dont get me wrong. One Piece is an awesome show. So is Mew Mew Power(Which 4kids also butchered, albeit not so badly) I enjoyed both. The dubbing just sucked.
    The bad part is that 4kids runs the only anime shows on any channels I get. And it's the saturday morning block of cartoons. They've since discontinued those shows though. :(
    *Sigh* I wish there was like a channel with all the animes dubbed in english without any cuts whatsoever. That'd be sooo awesome.
    eww, Inuyasha ;ooo; I couldn't even watch through the opening of that. And the advertisements for it just bug me to no end. Makes me wanna punch that ugly mutt in the face. Also, my friend described it as "DBZ for girls". lol.

well 4kids ain't doing no more dubbing, so huzzah!
    If it's aired, there has to be cuts to suit broadcasting standards (as far as I'm aware). Heck, in Japan there's censoring as well (eg Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, in which scenes unsuitable for tv broadcast were hidden by a monkey of sorts 8D).

Wait, what? D:<

But anyways, about dubs...I know I tend to get annoyed whenever I see people saying things like "all english dubs suck!", especially when referring to newer stuff...

Because really, if you compare the anime of today to anime from like...the 80's or early 90's or so, or even earlier, the stuff brought out today is definitely way better (with a few exceptions).

I remember seeing a DBZ dubbed movie (not Funimation's, it was some bootlegged thing) one time that was just so doggone awfully hilarious...poorly written dialogue, character's names mixed up, the works. I told myself that after watching that, I could not truthfully bash any recent dubs without keeping a straight face. XD Because oh, they could be worse, much much worse.

lol, fandubs. I'm aware of a fansubbing group for One Piece called Hong Kong subs [HK]. These were the worst possible subs imaginable. Actually, even worse than that XD They refer to characters by different names (even Jesus-kun at one point), and at times have no subs at all XD It seemed like they ran it through several translators before they got to English XD;

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    I was only talking about their Bionix stuff. They also have Yu-Gi-Oh, Yu-Gi-Oh GX, Idaten Jump, B daman, and other stuff. And yes, how dare they put the anime in our language when the bring it over. You obviously don't watch Bionix from 9:30-11:30 on Friday nights if you think English VAs suck.

A) The shows I had mentioned were on Bionix.
    B)I do/used to watch Bionix.
    C)Bionix runs from 8:00pm to (I'm not quite so sure but you're probably right) 11:30pm. Then again, Bionix may have started earlier, because they did have One Piece come on at 7:30 and Naruto at 8:00. I don't know if they still show One Piece?

I don't watch a lot of the shows though, usually just BLEACH (and, as mentioned before, .hack//sign). The ones in BLEACH aren't so good; however, the ones who did .hack//sign weren't bad. Although I never heard the subbed version of it. So that may be why.

edit: I forgot about DBZ. DDD: I used to watch that show all the time; in English. Yah, that was actually good, IMO. But, as mentioned before, I havn't even watched the subbed version before. x:

And sorry about saying "all english voice actors suck"; even though I only said "english voice actors suck"; therefor I was just saying it in general, not referring to ALL english voice actors.

Last edited:

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    And sorry about saying "all english voice actors suck"; even though I only said "english voice actors suck"; therefor I was just saying it in general, not referring to ALL english voice actors.

Meh, I think it's more of when they use a women for a male's voice. And yes, I do know they do it in Japan too, but in the dubs it's usually much more obvious its a female, and can be distracting (take Naruto or Pokemon for example). Or at least, in my opinion that is.

Other than the Bleach, Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Naruto dubs, I think dubs are alright, if they don't edit out lots of content.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    A) The shows I had mentioned were on Bionix.
    B)I do/used to watch Bionix.
    C)Bionix runs from 8:00pm to (I'm not quite so sure but you're probably right) 11:30pm. Then again, Bionix may have started earlier, because they did have One Piece come on at 7:30 and Naruto at 8:00. I don't know if they still show One Piece?

I don't watch a lot of the shows though, usually just BLEACH (and, as mentioned before, .hack//sign). The ones in BLEACH aren't so good; however, the ones who did .hack//sign weren't bad. Although I never heard the subbed version of it. So that may be why.

edit: I forgot about DBZ. DDD: I used to watch that show all the time; in English. Yah, that was actually good, IMO. But, as mentioned before, I havn't even watched the subbed version before. x:

You Americans are so lucky, you get all these channels with good anime on them. Over here the closest thing to good anime is Naruto on Cartoon Network, and I'm sick of Naruto. =(

You all get lots of channels and good anime e.g. Bleach and .Hack, I'm jealous. :/

Not all English voice actors suck, some do but the majority of them don't. I hate dubbed anime episodes I just watch Japanese ones with subtitles on Youtube. :/

Meh, I think it's more of when they use a women for a male's voice. And yes, I do know they do it in Japan too, but in the dubs it's usually much more obvious its a female, and can be distracting (take Naruto or Pokemon for example). Or at least, in my opinion that is.

Other than the Bleach, Pokemon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Naruto dubs, I think dubs are alright, if they don't edit out lots of content.

Yeah, true. It sometimes puts me off dubbed anime when male characters are played by womens' voices.

Last edited:

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    Masakazu Morita sounds like a 40-year-old chain smoker; Johnny Yong Bosch actually sounds like a 15-year-old boy.

Maile Flanagan and Junko Takeuchi are practically indistinguishable from each other when it comes to voicing Naruto; asides from the obvious language difference, their voices sound alike. Noriaki Sugiyama sounds like he's 30, whereas Yuri Lowenthal sounds closer to Sasuke's true age. Sakura is annoying in any language, whether you've got Kate Higgins or Chie Nakamura voicing her.

Crispin Freeman > Tomokazu Sukita. Talk to the hand.
    Go find your own opinions, little boy.

Tomokazu Sugita was actually quite excellent as Kyon; if it wasn't for the language difference, I would have found his voice indistinguishable from Crispin Freeman's own.

Yuki Nagato will always be monotone no matter the language, whether you've got Michelle Ruff or Minori Chihara voicing her. Stephanie Sheh is more tolerable than Yuko Goto. Johnny Yong Bosch may not sound exactly like Daisuke Ono, but his voice still fits Itsuki nonetheless.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I preferred the English dub of DBZ over the original Japanese one... there's something about their voices. O.o

I agree with the last part, dubs sometimes edit out content that was actually good but just because there are little kids watching, they're not allowed to air it...

Depending on what dub and who's doing it, dubs are half-half for me. I sometimes just watch the RAW version to see what its like, even if I only understand half of it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    I agree with the last part, dubs sometimes edit out content that was actually good but just because there are little kids watching, they're not allowed to air it...

Depending on what dub and who's doing it, dubs are half-half for me. I sometimes just watch the RAW version to see what its like, even if I only understand half of it.

Yeah, the Japanese (original) episodes have all the real bits left in, but the dubs have it left out for the young 'uns. XD

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Yeah, it's a shame that happens. Likewise with banned episodes. There are some scenes cut out that are actually pretty good to watch...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back