• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Danga Ronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

Orignally titled Dangan Ronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubo no Koukousei (which translates to Dangan Ronpa: Academy of Hope and High School Students of Despair), Dangan Ronpa is a game for the PSP/PS Vita developed by Spike Chunsoft and released in Japan in 2010. Dangan Ronpa finally got localized to North America (with Nippon Ichi America doing the localization) on February 11th, 2014, with the Austrailian and European releases coming out on February 14th. It's a text-heavy murder-mystery game (bordering on a visual novel sometimes). A sequel to the game, called Super Dangan Ronpa 2: Sayonara Zetsubo Gakuen (Super Dangan Ronpa 2 Goodbye Despair Academy), was released in 2012, and has yet to see a release outisde of Japan (and totally should be released to the rest of the world). There is also an upcoming 3rd game, titled Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode.​

The basic premise of the plot is that 15 students are invited to attend the prestigous Hope's Peak Academy, where super-talented teenagers from around the world go to cultivate their talents. However, the are trapped inside the school by a black and white bear called Monokuma/Monobear, who says that the only way out is to kill someone. And it develops into a fantastic story from there.​

A quick run down of the characters and their talents:​

Naegi Makoto: Super High School Level Luck
    Sayaka Maizono: Super High School Level Pop Idol

Togami Byakuya: Super High School Level Heir

Aoi Asahina: Super High School Level Swimmer

Leon Kuwata: Super High School Level Baseball Player

Kyoko Kirigiri: Super High School Level ???

Fukawa Toko: Super High School Level Writer

Chihiro Fujisaki: Super High School Level Programmer

Hagakure Yasuhiro: Super High School Level Fortune Teller

Mondo Owada: Super High School Level Biker

Ishimaru Kiyotaka: Super High School Level Moral Compass

Junko Enoshima: Super High School Level Fashion Girl

Yamada Hifumi: Super High School Level Dojin Creator

Sakura Ogami: Super High School Level Fighter

Celestia Ludenberg: Super High School Level Gambler

So this thread is to talk about anything about/related to this great series. If you are going to discuss the details of the plot, it would probably be best to do so under spoiler tags. This is one of those games you really don't wanna spoil the plot of.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm so ready.

Though, I don't know if I'll be able to buy it soon, actually. :(

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm so ready.

Though, I don't know if I'll be able to buy it soon, actually. :(

Unfortunately, I won't be able to buy it soon either. I don't have a Vita, and there's all this other stuff I wanna buy too, but lack the money for it, especially since I don't have a job.

It's so sad, since its such a good game...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    When I first looked at trophies I was shocked when I saw requirement "Clear EVERY class trial without taking damage" and it's just only one... no biggie =D
    I'm pretty looking forward to school mode as that will be the only different thing from the PSP version =D
    I hope this sells well so we can see the second being localized as well.

Years
    I heard English voice acting for this is downright dreadful, though I guess it can be alleviated somehow by switching VA to Japanese. I'll still probably buy it to play it in the summer as I've heard mostly positive things about this game.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I heard that English voice acting for this is downright dreadful. I still like the other aspects of this game (e.g. artwork) though, I'll probably buy it to play it in the summer.
    Whoever says that probably always call the english voice acting terrible.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDYnkPZBJ34"]It's actually good.[/ame]

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Whoever says that probably always call the english voice acting terrible.

It's actually good.

It's really only good for some of the characters. I'm really not into Bryce Papenbrook as Naegi, and I'm not thrilled with Ishimaru's, Hagakure's or Monobear's Monokuma's voices either. Some the characters certainly do have voice acting, but it aint like the whole cast is good.

EDIT: Refreshed my memory via the video. Now that I've heard everyone's voices again, some of them aren't bad...but some of them aren't amazing either.

Personally, I think these ones are good: Asahina, Yamada, Leon, Mondo, Fukawa
    While I'm not into these ones: Ishimaru, Naegi, Monobear Monokuma, Hagakure
    And the rest of the cast is average, maybe slightly above average. I might warm up to them sometime.

And I'll do the game with the English audio. There's enough good voice acting that it won't bother me. But I have heard better overall English voice acting in games.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'll probably try playing with English voices, though if I find it really annoying overall, I can always revert back to Japanese or revert to no voice acting. (unless there's no option to change voices once save starts, which then I'll have to bear through)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    It's been confirmed that Super Dangan Ronpa 2 is getting a Western release, and is suppossedly coming out late this year:
    https://www.psu.com/a022504/Danganronpa-2--Goodbye-Despair-confirmed-for-a-deadly-Western-release
    I'm really happy that we get 2nd one so soon! I'm hyped for this one, because I haven't played it since translation wasn't available =D

Bear? Bear? BEAR?!
    He stayed Monokuma because he MUST be Monokuma, even Chunsoft forced NISA to let Monokuma be Monokuma.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

I'm really happy that we get 2nd one so soon! I'm hyped for this one, because I haven't played it since translation wasn't available =D
    I'm surprised that we're getting the second one so soon. But hey, better for us.
    Oh, and if you can't wait for the second one and want to go through it, there's translations of it here:
    https://chegli.tumblr.com/post/62311970442/sdr2-masterpost
    The more important links are Kuzuhiko's and Birdmanronpa's.

Bear? Bear? BEAR?!
    He stayed Monokuma because he MUST be Monokuma, even Chunsoft forced NISA to let Monokuma be Monokuma.
    Using Monobear over Monokuma never bothered me, and I've read translations where some use bear, some use kuma. It's a really minor thing to me. It's like people getting upset over the whole Zoro/Zolo thing.
    I will never understand it.

But if it really bothers you that much, I will use kuma instead of bear.....

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Kuma means Bear anyway, what's the problem? The meaning of the name is still there. Seems like an extremely nitpicky complaint anyway.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Kuma means Bear anyway, what's the problem? The meaning of the name is still there. Seems like an extremely nitpicky complaint anyway.
    Not if the developers enforced this ;)

I'm surprised that we're getting the second one so soon. But hey, better for us.
    Oh, and if you can't wait for the second one and want to go through it, there's translations of it here:
    https://chegli.tumblr.com/post/62311970442/sdr2-masterpost
    The more important links are Kuzuhiko's and Birdmanronpa's.
    Yea, I know of tumblr LP walkthroughs but I don't want to spoil myself through playing :D

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Another thing about translations...I've been wondering why the subtitle for the North American version is "Trigger Happy Havoc". Why didn't they just use what Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubo no Koukousei translates to in English? I get that Trigger Happy Havoc is a reference to the use of evidence bullets in the game....but "Dangan Ronpa" already does that too. And, IDK, Trigger Happy Havoc sounds a bit off to me. Like the game's a strange combination of FPS and a party game.

@Satoshi: Just because the devs insisted that it stay Monokuma, that doesn't mean that people can't use Monobear. What're they gonna do, deny people copies of the game? Lock their game up? Force them into a school life of mutual killing? It really is a minor detail. At least they kept all the names of the other characters (god I would hate it if they gave all the characters American names).

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Another thing about translations...I've been wondering why the subtitle for the North American version is "Trigger Happy Havoc". Why didn't they just use what Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubo no Koukousei translates to in English? I get that Trigger Happy Havoc is a reference to the use of evidence bullets in the game....but "Dangan Ronpa" already does that too. And, IDK, Trigger Happy Havoc sounds a bit off to me. Like the game's a strange combination of FPS and a party game.
    NISA pretty much does their translations like they want, it's normal they do it for the name of game as well =D

@Satoshi: Just because the devs insisted that it stay Monokuma, that doesn't mean that people can't use Monobear. What're they gonna do, deny people copies of the game? Lock their game up? Force them into a school life of mutual killing? It really is a minor detail.
    Nope, they will move them into the island first.

At least they kept all the names of the other characters (god I would hate it if they gave all the characters American names).
    They messed up their titles, if they messed up names, there would be wall of complaints.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I'll admit I just bought a Vita a few days ago solely for this title. I'm familiar with premise and characters, but I haven't dug much deeper than that to avoid spoilers. Should have the game by the end of the week. {:3}

Reactions: Nah

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    How so? I'm not disagreeing with you, its just I'm wondering what part of the titles you feel they messed up.
    I'm not sure whether those in the OP are used in the game but when I saw titles on NISA's page like "Fashionista" for Junko, "Fan" for Yamada "Moral Compass" for Ishimaru and "Clairvoyant" for Hagakure I was seriously asking sanity of NISA's translations...
    If those OP titles are used in game, ignore my complaint.

(I still prefer Super Duper High School Level from Zetsubou translations to refer to them =D)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

I'm not sure whether those in the OP are used in the game but when I saw titles on NISA's page like "Fashionista" for Junko, "Fan" for Yamada "Moral Compass" for Ishimaru and "Clairvoyant" for Hagakure I was seriously asking sanity of NISA's translations...
    If those OP titles are used in game, ignore my complaint.

(I still prefer Super Duper High School Level from Zetsubou translations to refer to them =D)

The ones in the OP aren't used in the game. They're the ones from the translations I've seen, modified slightly to what I think sounds a bit better. (for example, Chihiro was called the "SHSL Hacker" in the translation I saw, but I think Programmer is better than Hacker).

And I prefer Super High School Level to Ultimate too. =)

I have to say though, there isn't a terribly good term for Ishimaru's; its not all that clear as to what exactly his talent is.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I really want to play it (especially SDR2) but I don't have a Vita ;~; I don't see myself getting one anytime soon, so it looks like I'll just have to sit this one out. I still haven't seen/read/whatever SDR2 so maybe I should get on to that first :)

Hmm. The English voice acting is pretty okay, I do like some of them, mainly Toko's and Asahina's, but the rest sound odd to me. This is probably only because I actually watched a playthrough of DR with English text and Japanese VAs on youtube and the anime with those same voice actors, so I've just associated the voices with the faces ;~; But they're not that bad! Just odd sounding to me.

Back