• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Day of Silence

Support?

• Total voters

MegaSlowBro.

泣かないで。
Years
  • My school did it today, and people had to papers stuck on their shirts, backpacks, etc. I wanted to partake in it, but I didn't. Mainly because I don't think I could last the whole day without talking, and if I did (while doing it), I would feel really bad that I broke the silence.

chadgraphix

the Fame.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    It happened at my school, today. It was kinda cool. It wasn't just people who were LGBT, it was for the GSA (Gay Straight Alliance).

They wore tape over their mouth with an X on it to represent it.

Edit:

BTW, the majority of Pokemon players are straight male teenagers, who happen to be more closed mindeded than other people. I'm bi, but didn't participitate.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Nope, didn't participate. I'm all for equal treatment of everyone, but this just seems silly to me. If I want to make a difference, I'll donate to the ACLU or something.

BTW, the majority of Pokemon players are straight male teenagers, who happen to be more closed mindeded than other people.
    Oh irony.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I didn't do anything because I didn't know such a thing existed and I wouldn't anyway because it seems stupid. I love gay people, but that just doesn't make sense. No one cares if you don't talk for a day. Here's a better idea: stop talking to people who are against homosexuals. Forever. That would be more effective.

I kinda agree with this. ://

Years
  • Okay, so about this. I had everything planned out in advance: I had cards printed out, fliers to hand out, information about it [like who it is in memory of this year, 4 truths, etc.] and everything was going great most of the day. I was quiet. I gave my friends cards so they'd be in the loop. Word spread around the school, and my [gay ex-boy]friend was silent with me.

. . But, of course, today of all days was the day we were setting up for prom. So, I, being bossy and responsible was given the task to instruct people on the creation of a 17 foot tall replica of the Eiffel Tower . . and that was just the beginning. After a while, it became too much of a bother to stay quiet / write everything out and I resumed speaking to bark orders out. :\

And yeah, since we [my friend and I] were roped into helping all day, the DoS kind of dropped :[
    Had it been any other day, we'd have been able to keep silent, but it just isn't safe when handling tools/putting stuff together without communication lol. D:

So, yeah. XD;

But I probably wouldn't participate anyway because imo protests are a waste of time and it reminds me of those people who wear tape on their mouths to protest abortion and are a joke.
    Lol. My friends were like "wtf" when I wasn't talking - because I talk. A lot. And then I handed them the pamphlet and they were like oh wow. And . . it got people talking, so idk. Lol.

Ew, they had this at my school. I was like ohh your being silent eh? Well this will be a great time to inform you that homosexuality is an abomination :3 haha they where getting so mad. I tried to see how many people I can make talk. I was getting quite good at it, I knew exactly what buttons to press. In totally I made 11 people break there row, shows how serious they where about that. :)
    ..lol. mature.

didn't do anything because I didn't know such a thing existed and I wouldn't anyway because it seems stupid. I love gay people, but that just doesn't make sense. No one cares if you don't talk for a day. Here's a better idea: stop talking to people who are against homosexuals. Forever. That would be more effective.
    That's not exactly feasible :P
    What's wrong with spreading tolerance?

Haters to the left, kthnx.

Last edited:

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • All right, time for my rant(not intended to cause ragewars).

Point 1: This may not be the case for anyone else, but despite living in a relatively conservative area, the school I go to is rather liberal. This means that our GLASS(Gay Lesbian And Straight Society)Club is very prominent. Hell, last year they and their banner were at the front of our homecoming parade, and THAT was the picture that made it into the yearbook. But that's not my main point here. A while back I called my friend "gay"(because TBH he was indeed acting a bit gay)and then I had somebody off GLASS say, "I'm offended by that." Now, for starters, that shows they at least are definitely NOT silent to bullying, even when it was just joking to my friend and not even remotely having to do with them. The other thing is, who was expected to be silent there? The glares I got from the members sitting at their table tells me that they at least think I shouldn't say stuff like that, even though I have Freedom of Speech(which is unfortunately be destroyed by a number of factors)and I wasn't bullying them, or talking to them, or even LOOKING at them in any way intending on getting them riled up. At any rate, why should that happen because I was talking to my friend? If this is where all this gay-rights stuff combined with that God-awful political correctness is going, life's gonna suck for me and others who, again, make such jokes like that with their friends.

Point 2: I am more than willing to admit that I have not, did not, and probably will not participate in the Day of Silence. My reasons are few but likely controversial, so I will keep them brief. I am no supportor of gay marriage and the like. While I support the natural-born rights of everyone(although in this day and age, "everyone" means only minorities, thanks political correctness), I don't exactly consider marriage to be a right, certainly not a right everyone has. The whole "tolerance" idea, while I'm not a big fan of the whole homosexual thing(concerning yourself with my reason is unwise at this or pretty much any other time), is something I'm fine with. Just don't come up surrounding me with all your groups and your banners up in my face and try to make it like I have some kind of problem because I'll have nothing to do with your protests and meetings.

Point 3: Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever got better treatment by just being silent. Just look at the United States. If we hadn't opened up our mouths and told the British exactly what we wanted and how far we would go to get it, the USA may full well never have existed. If you expect anyone to listen to you, or what you believe in, you cannot be silent. No one will hear you, even if they want to.

Well, that'll be enough outta me. Again, this is not intended to offend, or cause rage wars.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I never knew about this. Then again, I wouldn't participate, since I don't believe homosexuals should be "married" - moreso joined in a different type of contract that grants the same rights, but doesn't extend to a holy ritual.

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • Age 28
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    All right, time for my rant(not intended to cause ragewars).

Point 1: This may not be the case for anyone else, but despite living in a relatively conservative area, the school I go to is rather liberal. This means that our GLASS(Gay Lesbian And Straight Society)Club is very prominent. Hell, last year they and their banner were at the front of our homecoming parade, and THAT was the picture that made it into the yearbook. But that's not my main point here. A while back I called my friend "gay"(because TBH he was indeed acting a bit gay)and then I had somebody off GLASS say, "I'm offended by that." Now, for starters, that shows they at least are definitely NOT silent to bullying, even when it was just joking to my friend and not even remotely having to do with them. The other thing is, who was expected to be silent there? The glares I got from the members sitting at their table tells me that they at least think I shouldn't say stuff like that, even though I have Freedom of Speech(which is unfortunately be destroyed by a number of factors)and I wasn't bullying them, or talking to them, or even LOOKING at them in any way intending on getting them riled up. At any rate, why should that happen because I was talking to my friend? If this is where all this gay-rights stuff combined with that God-awful political correctness is going, life's gonna suck for me and others who, again, make such jokes like that with their friends.

Point 2: I am more than willing to admit that I have not, did not, and probably will not participate in the Day of Silence. My reasons are few but likely controversial, so I will keep them brief. I am no supportor of gay marriage and the like. While I support the natural-born rights of everyone(although in this day and age, "everyone" means only minorities, thanks political correctness), I don't exactly consider marriage to be a right, certainly not a right everyone has. The whole "tolerance" idea, while I'm not a big fan of the whole homosexual thing(concerning yourself with my reason is unwise at this or pretty much any other time), is something I'm fine with. Just don't come up surrounding me with all your groups and your banners up in my face and try to make it like I have some kind of problem because I'll have nothing to do with your protests and meetings.

Point 3: Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever got better treatment by just being silent. Just look at the United States. If we hadn't opened up our mouths and told the British exactly what we wanted and how far we would go to get it, the USA may full well never have existed. If you expect anyone to listen to you, or what you believe in, you cannot be silent. No one will hear you, even if they want to.

Well, that'll be enough outta me. Again, this is not intended to offend, or cause rage wars.
    Point 1.
    I agree with the people who were offended by your comment on this one. The way you used the word "Gay" as an insult, or as a description of a way to behave was wrong. The stereotypical gay person is happy and very feminine, but you don't need to be gay to act like any of these two things.
    And all gays aren't just happy and feminine, so there is really no reason to say: "You look really gay right now" as a description of how someone looks.
    I don't know if I summarized my point correctly, but please don't misunderstand me.

Point 2.
    Here I respect your views. I do not agree with them, but they are your views, and it is your right to have them. At least they aren't offensive. And nobody can complain about this one. Me, myself? I am for Gay marriage, but that doesn't mean you have to be.

Point 3.
    Here I agree with you completely. I think that people should rather speak up for the gays instead of staying silent for them. Who the heck does this help anyway?
    =)

Years
  • I never knew about this. Then again, I wouldn't participate, since I don't believe homosexuals should be "married" - moreso joined in a different type of contract that grants the same rights, but doesn't extend to a holy ritual.
    That's not the point of it. Its purpose is to draw attention to bullying and other things queer kids in school have to put up with.

I didn't participate because I forgot about it. At least I can vote.

Last edited:

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
  • Everyone is saying that staying silent defeats the purpose... which everyone themselves contradict themselves with, because obviously it spread awareness. Nobody was talking. People are expected to talk. When people don't respond to you, you gotta wonder why, and then they take a look at your shirt or card, and boom, they know about the Day of Silence. It's the fact that it is silent that it is effective with so many people.

Years
  • All right, time for my rant(not intended to cause ragewars).

Well, then perhaps you need a new vocabulary. To be gay is not something derogatory. /PSA
    Everyone means everyone. And . . well, what you get is probably the overdramatics of teenagers who are trying to be ~so serious~ about this and wind up making themselves look bad. Don't let some bad apples ruin your perspective of everyone ^^

..you've missed the point. It's not saying protesting/marches don't work, it's just a form of . . contrast. Think of it like this: instead of being loud and open about it, or just normally talkative or whatever, instead they're showing their true support for a cause they think just. It doesn't have to be the gay day of silence either, I'm referring to Days of Silence in general :B

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'm not gonna get scolded in school over something silly like LGBT wanting special priveleges.
    I'm not opposed to them getting them but I'm not gonna risk academic discipline over it.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Nice to see this turning into a debate thread instead of the purpose. Do you support the DoS, and did you participate.

{NM}Redwolf

Rebels against the God
    Years
  • I hate to break everyones wishes and all but a world with out a certain group being bullied will never happen. Its like world peace. It will never happen because people can't ever agree all on the same thing. As long as there are gays there will be people making fun of them. Its like Hitlers effect on the jews. There are still Neo Nazis that follow him today. I'm glad i don't have any gays at my school because i would probably get in a fight with one because i am against gay rights. Sorry but i'm a catholic and i see it as a sin.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • My school was crazy about this day, and took it very seriously. I did participate, and though I really didn't do anything to stop the quarrels of gay, lesbian, bisexual people, etc, I did manage to stop saying insulting stuff that would hurt there feelings (ex: That's so gay, etc)

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I knew it was coming up, but I forgot about it. Oh well, I wasn't going to participate anyway, since I don't have that kind of discipline to stay silent the entire day. :/

I'll support gay rights in other ways, like voting to end discrimination as soon as I can.

I hate to break everyones wishes and all but a world with out a certain group being bullied will never happen. Its like world peace. It will never happen because people can't ever agree all on the same thing. As long as there are gays there will be people making fun of them. Its like Hitlers effect on the jews. There are still Neo Nazis that follow him today. I'm glad i don't have any gays at my school because i would probably get in a fight with one because i am against gay rights. Sorry but i'm a catholic and i see it as a sin.

Ha. Wow. Twisted logic is twisted.

{NM}Redwolf

Rebels against the God
    Years
  • I'm just being honest. You can hope and dream all you want but some things will never happen. This is just one of them. People aren't meant to get along with everyone. Something a lot of people don't understand. They waste their lives trying to make everyone like them and it never works. As long as there are people there will be wars. I believe Albert Einstein said this or someone famous...i forget who. Whether it be actual wars or just arguements, they will always happen and will never go away.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I'm just being honest. You can hope and dream all you want but some things will never happen. This is just one of them. People aren't meant to get along with everyone. Something a lot of people don't understand. They waste their lives trying to make everyone like them and it never works. As long as there are people there will be wars. I believe Albert Einstein said this or someone famous...i forget who. Whether it be actual wars or just arguements, they will always happen and will never go away.

You should have told that to Martin Luther King. Yeah, there are still racists, but you simply cannot argue that black people are not treated better than they were 50 years ago. The same can be said for women, thanks to feminist movements they are treated better, yet there are still sexists. That's why we have civil rights movements, like the fight for gay rights now. Wow.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • My highschool does it at a later date because we're always on Spring Break during the actual one. And though I do support LGBT rights, I probably won't be partaking in our day of silence this year. Because it does seem counter productive. =/

{NM}Redwolf

Rebels against the God
    Years
  • You should have told that to Martin Luther King. Yeah, there are still racists, but you simply cannot argue that black people are not treated better than they were 50 years ago. The same can be said for women, thanks to feminist movements they are treated better, yet there are still sexists. That's why we have civil rights movements, like the fight for gay rights now. Wow.
    Things improved but the "war" is still there. It never was "won" or ended. It still goes on today and just cause thing are great here doesn't mean they are world wide. Hint, look at the women's rights in Iran or whats happening to gay people down in the African country(don't recall name).

Back