• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Debate: Post Counts

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
  • Abby is Kairi? o_O XD LM, I wouldn't call 200 "only". If you knew how long it took me to get to that number... XD

And with the pairing, it was the same with Scott. He had so many more posts than me! We had fun anyway, until Ally turned up... XD

Phantom Angel

aka Dark Heaven
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 30, 2004
    Hm...*no comment about it*
    It is not that important thing to think about.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2006
    I'm neutral about it. It pulling me both ways.

I could lower my post count to prove it but that would mean I would have to talk less. ;_;
    And tell you what. I show my average to show how much I appreciate talking to members in PC. Though it's the only communication I have other than other forums. If I were to show someone, I quit posting in the Pokemon Trivia and Games Section.
    I know I might go overboard with post counts sometimes when I'm excited but I'll stop. Alright?
    What even more important to me? Making friends!
    I like getting into converstions with people.
    I really think all of you that posted here, I got into conversations with.
    Any besides if I were to make that number big, I would be spamming which I know I'm not.

Alright *sniff*
    I really doubt any of you know how I'm feeling. :'(
    But what ever you will do. I'll still remain in PC...no matter what.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2006
    Haruka said:
    Well, if we get rid of postcounts, more members might be open and PC would be much friendier and less I have x amount of post and bragging.

Then I'll agree with you Alyssa.
    If we don't terminate it, it might end up slipping out of my mouth again.
    *sigh* I'll try not to say anything about it.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • How would PC be more open over getting rid of post counts?
    How would PC be more friendlier
    because we don't have any post counts?

For all you that want to super high post count, that want to be first on the top posters. I been there. I once wanted to be the highest poster on PC (I was the third highest on the old PC). And it was fun tring to get that title of the highest poster on PC. I mean on the old PC before I was a Mod I had in my sig like "The 5th highest poster on PC" whenever I got higher or lower I would change that to show where I was. And when I got higher it would make me happy. If I got lower then I would post more to get back to where I was. On the "Top 20 Posters". We don't have that any more. I don't see members now saying "Hey I did it, I made it to the top 20 posters on PC, I am so close to the top 20 posters list now" and I miss that. I remember when members tried for that title, I could see in people's sigs saying "On the top 20 posters list" you don't see that any more. I bet you look at the list of the highest posters (top 50 now) and you wont see any one have that they are on the top 50 posters. My, my now that I stop and think about it when did PC get to stiff. I know a lot of you members joined the new PC and never saw the old PC or never saw me before I was a Mod (I was always tring to catch up with 22sa and his post count). Now that I think about it where did the fun go. Sure you talk to your friends and that is fun. But on the old PC that was real fun, playing the games talking about anything to get another post. Some how that has left PC (and I know it will never come back).
    Any one see The One Above^? It has almost 3K posts in 6 months. On the old PC that would have never ever happened. In 6 months we might have had around 15 or more The One Above^'s with 1K posts (1K since the DB errors and we started a new one every time it hit 1K) in each one. You don't see that now. I know I was one of the Mods that said "Yea get a forum where posts don't count" well I was wrong. I hate to say this but every thread in Fun Time in Pok?Land is dead. No one posts in it. I use to be a super high posted in The One Above^ but ever since it was moved to a forum where posts don't count do I post in there any more? No, you wont see posts by me in there. And the same goes for a lot of other members. I think that forum is just nothing. I mean Q & F has more threads. Heck the S-Mod and higher forum has more threads then Fun Time in Pok?Land (and we never post there).

I know I have said before I don't care for my post count but that is not all true. I care for it and I don't care for it. It's just a number to me. But it also shows how much I am on PC. It shows how long I have been here.

And all you that say "Get rid of the posts" are forgetting one little thing (you Mods should know this). We cannot get rid of the post count. We can only hide it on posts. Just go to the profile and see it. Now if new members come and see no post counts and go to the profile and see posts they will think PC is all messed up. So hiding it will make PC more open more friendlier? I don't think so.

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
  • We know we can't get rid of it completely, but if you keep postcounts on posts, you are encouraging more people to brag about their posts. Everyone would say I have X amount of mosts than you do. and there would be more competition. This is not the point of having a dedicated community. Everyone has to get along with each other and not shove comments that will hurt the member. The point is, the Pokemon Land forum is created to have fun without worring about postcounts. Not to gain postcounts to get into some stupid top 20 list. This is not the point why we post. We post because we want to socialize and have fun.

Kyosuke

.·Simple Complexity
    Years
  • For me, post counts shows on a forum that your not a newbie, thats almost a guantee 90% of the time. But of course it will effect others, thers always people who really admire seeing their post count nobody can help that and how many they got in one day, others may not and think there just numbers which is completely fine. So for me, either way will do.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2006
    Haruka said:
    We know we can't get rid of it completely, but if you keep postcounts on posts, you are encouraging more people to brag about their posts. Everyone would say I have X amount of mosts than you do.

*puts his hands up*
    Hey I quit bragging so no one point fingers at me.
    I'm behaving...XD

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Pokemaster10000 said:
    I'm neutral about it. It pulling me both ways.
    Pokemaster10000 said:
    I could lower my post count to prove it but that would mean I would have to talk less. ;_;

And tell you what. I show my average to show how much I appreciate talking to members in PC. Though it's the only communication I have other than other forums. If I were to show someone, I quit posting in the Pokemon Trivia and Games Section.

I know I might go overboard with post counts sometimes when I'm excited but I'll stop. Alright?

What even more important to me? Making friends!

I like getting into converstions with people.

I really think all of you that posted here, I got into conversations with.

Any besides if I were to make that number big, I would be spamming which I know I'm not.

Alright *sniff*

I really doubt any of you know how I'm feeling.

But what ever you will do. I'll still remain in PC...no matter what.

That?s not the idea?you are free to post as much as you want here, excluding double posting and the lot. You shouldn?t let post count, high or low, affect how much you post. This means in your case, a high post count should not hinder you from posting.

For those with a lower post count, it should not make you most more than you really want to. It?s good you quit trivia since you were uniteresed in the actual game, that?s a good example. Like I said, post count and raising it can help with friendships! And that is good.

Haruka said:
    Well, if we get rid of postcounts, more members might be open and PC would be much friendier and less I have x amount of post and bragging.

Maybe. Maybe not. I could brag about a lot of other things, for instance. My MotM votes, my rank, my join date. Now we aren?t removing those things, for thye are not the same as post count. It?s a very influential thing on all of us.

Arcanine said:
    How would PC be more open over getting rid of post counts?
    Arcanine said:
    How would PC be more friendlier because we don't have any post counts?

For all you that want to super high post count, that want to be first on the top posters. I been there. I once wanted to be the highest poster on PC (I was the third highest on the old PC). And it was fun tring to get that title of the highest poster on PC. I mean on the old PC before I was a Mod I had in my sig like "The 5th highest poster on PC" whenever I got higher or lower I would change that to show where I was. And when I got higher it would make me happy. If I got lower then I would post more to get back to where I was. On the "Top 20 Posters". We don't have that any more. I don't see members now saying "Hey I did it, I made it to the top 20 posters on PC, I am so close to the top 20 posters list now" and I miss that.

There still *is* a way to see the top twenty or any number you want, by sorting the member list. However, it isn?t the same. Why? Post count can be an official placebo for any number of things ailing a person, such as a feeling of inadequacy, of being left out, of being small. Like you said, it is a number. In reality nothing more. However that number effects how frequently and what we post, in short how we interact with everyone.

Arcanine said:
    I remember when members tried for that title, I could see in people's sigs saying "On the top 20 posters list" you don't see that any more. I bet you look at the list of the highest posters (top 50 now) and you wont see any one have that they are on the top 50 posters. My, my now that I stop and think about it when did PC get to stiff. I know a lot of you members joined the new PC and never saw the old PC or never saw me before I was a Mod (I was always tring to catch up with 22sa and his post count). Now that I think about it where did the fun go. Sure you talk to your friends and that is fun. But on the old PC that was real fun, playing the games talking about anything to get another post. Some how that has left PC (and I know it will never come back).

That should never be the point of the forum in the first place, IMO. Granted, any way we can have fun is a good thing, but it?s not always fun. It becomes a serious problem if people get so caught up in the ?game? they post spam, or exclude everyone from conversations.

Arcanine said:
    Any one see The One Above^? It has almost 3K posts in 6 months. On the old PC that would have never ever happened. In 6 months we might have had around 15 or more The One Above^'s with 1K posts (1K since the DB errors and we started a new one every time it hit 1K) in each one. You don't see that now. I know I was one of the Mods that said "Yea get a forum where posts don't count" well I was wrong. I hate to say this but every thread in Fun Time in Pok?Land is dead. No one posts in it. I use to be a super high posted in The One Above^ but ever since it was moved to a forum where posts don't count do I post in there any more? No, you wont see posts by me in there. And the same goes for a lot of other members. I think that forum is just nothing. I mean Q & F has more threads. Heck the S-Mod and higher forum has more threads then Fun Time in Pok?Land (and we never post there).

Yeah, this does prove postcounts are a motivating reason why people play games. And maybe that wasn?t so bad. Still, we also need some good conversations, those too were a big part of old PC. Then again, removing it from the postbit might kill those off too. This is a very influential topic, for sure.

Arcanine said:
    I know I have said before I don't care for my post count but that is not all true. I care for it and I don't care for it. It's just a number to me. But it also shows how much I am on PC. It shows how long I have been here.
    Arcanine said:
    And all you that say "Get rid of the posts" are forgetting one little thing (you Mods should know this). We cannot get rid of the post count. We can only hide it on posts. Just go to the profile and see it. Now if new members come and see no post counts and go to the profile and see posts they will think PC is all messed up. So hiding it will make PC more open more friendlier? I don't think so.

It shows how much you are on PC to?other people? To you? The affection and respect you have would cover that, I think. Y?know, until someone mentioned DT had hit #1 there was a time I was totally oblvious to post count. I honestly didn?t realize he was up there so far. Then for a while I kinda raced with him, then let it go. I enjoy the good conversations with people?but those may not happen if post count is removed and no one comes to chat.

DragonTrainer said:
    Lol, out of nowhere, I found myself asking if my count could be completely removed, just mine though. The first thing a lot of people notice about me is my postcount. They are pretty much scared of me when they see that
    DragonTrainer said:
    ~DragonTrainer

While it is bad they are prejudiced against you for it, you must consider what removing it would do. It could make a lot of people?some even your friends, very upset. You don?t want that do you? Not to say I want it gone or I want it to stay, I am saying it is a matter that requires a substantial amount of thinking for both sides.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2006
    Kairi said:
    That?s not the idea?you are free to post as much as you want here, excluding double posting and the lot. You shouldn?t let post count, high or low, affect how much you post. This means in your case, a high post count should not hinder you from posting.

For those with a lower post count, it should not make you most more than you really want to. IT?s good you quit trvia since you were uniteresed in the actual game, that?s a good example. Like I said, post count and raising it can help with friendships! And that is good.

Oh I see. Thanks for telling me. ;)
    No wonder I have so many friends.

Well it doesn't hinder me from posting.
    I'm just quick to reply at things. :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Ya with the counts you can tell who's been here longer most of the time and you can tell who would need help around here.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2006
    blue said:
    Ya with the counts you can tell who's been here longer most of the time and you can tell who would need help around here.

But wouldn't it be better to just look at the join date?
    No, then we still won't know who's active.
    Wait! I have an idea.
    We can remove post counts for "active count" like to see how active the person has been in PC.
    That way it will solve your problem blue....without posts counts.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Haruka said:
    We know we can't get rid of it completely, but if you keep postcounts on posts, you are encouraging more people to brag about their posts. Everyone would say I have X amount of mosts than you do. and there would be more competition. This is not the point of having a dedicated community. Everyone has to get along with each other and not shove comments that will hurt the member. The point is, the Pokemon Land forum is created to have fun without worring about postcounts. Not to gain postcounts to get into some stupid top 20 list. This is not the point why we post. We post because we want to socialize and have fun.
    Here comes this braging argument again. if saying this will stop people from braging then remember it is still on the profile. if people wanted to brag about it then they still could even if we do what you and DT says. And if this braging argument is the best you got then we should lock this thread since any one could brag even if you hid the post counts.
    And Alyssa how come I still see post counts on PT? You want to get rid of them on PC but they are not gone on PT.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Hey just get rid of them too many people would spam....i dont like spamers

HEY 700 POST!

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2006
    blue said:
    Hey just get rid of them too many people would spam....i dont like spamers

HEY 700 POST!

Shhh, hey...no bragging. :P
    I still think my idea about switch post counts