• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    You can still install Windows Virtual PC on any Windows 7 system - not just Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate. It's the XP Mode VM that's exclusive.

Years
  • Ugh, my laptop's mouse's center clicker button isn't wanting to work. It's doing the thing where sometimes it clicks it works, sometimes it clicks and doesn't work, or sometimes I click it once and it does the task twice. This is me using the center button of the mouse to open links in a new tab, btw

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Ugh, my laptop's mouse's center clicker button isn't wanting to work. It's doing the thing where sometimes it clicks it works, sometimes it clicks and doesn't work, or sometimes I click it once and it does the task twice. This is me using the center button of the mouse to open links in a new tab, btw

What mouse are you using right now?

Years
  • It's a Logitech LX3 optical mouse, looks like this:

sPuoB4K.jpg

I opened it up and it seems to be working now. This isn't the first time I've disassembled this particular mouse, either. I disassembled it nearly three years ago because there was a lot of dust built up on the left clicker, and I cleaned that out.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's a Logitech LX3 optical mouse, looks like this:

sPuoB4K.jpg

I opened it up and it seems to be working now. This isn't the first time I've disassembled this particular mouse, either. I disassembled it nearly three years ago because there was a lot of dust built up on the left clicker, and I cleaned that out.

Physical dust and other small objects can easily clog up anything with physically moving parts and/or vents, so it's usually a good idea to clean computer equipment every once in a while, if only to keep everything working as smoothly as possible. :)

I'm actually glad that the Razer Orochi I am using right now can have the actuators for buttons easily cleaned up, and the mouse feet (Telfon, even) can be easily replaced if needed. (I have a suspicion that this mouse will outlive several PCs it's connected to and the Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries it's using.)

Years
  • Can you imagine having the same thing happen to a touchpad's buttons though? That'd be way more difficult than having to clean out a mouse :p

I will say, I'm still not used to having a laptop's touchpad buttons being part of the actual touchpad, instead of just being in a separate area. And on my laptop, all horizontal scrolling is done over the buttons as well instead of slightly above them.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Single-piece clickpads do make using the laptop without a mouse significantly more tolerable. The key is being able to click anywhere and do anything anywhere (just like a mouse) and the touch area being huge (par for the course for clickpads).

Have you tried two-finger and three-finger clicking yet, Zach? They're equal to right- and middle-clicking on Synaptics hardware.

Years
  • I prefer keeping things traditional, so I don't use multi-finger clicking at all. In fact, tap-to-click is actually my top dislike on touchpads, since I tend to do it so often by accident, and I don't want any actions I didn't intend to happen to be executed.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Touchpad gestures and multi-finger clicking on a large, spacious clickpad is one of these things where once you get the hang of it, you'd hate to lose them. You might want to try not using a mouse for a while and see how far you can get with just the big honkin' clickpad on your laptop. :)

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I never really got the point of networked drives. Then again, I almost never had a chance to properly try them out.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • breaking the chain of snivys and servines WATCH OUT FLORGES COMING THROUGH

The school network at my old school in San Diego had all the computers mapped to a network drive, where all the materials for our classes were located in. So instead of having to download the installations from the internet, we can get the installation from that drive.

They're actually useful and If I ever own my own server one day I'd love to try this.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I think I'm going to set up a home server in the future and make it run some version of Windows Server. I subscribe to "work with what you're familiar with".

Years
  • [3/31/2014 3:42:10am] <~Zach> so what the ♥♥♥♥
    [3/31/2014 3:42:26am] <~Zach> something turned off Windows firewall on my server

That, in a nutshell. Happened on my server and I got disconnected from IRC because of it.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    [3/31/2014 3:42:10am] <~Zach> so what the ♥♥♥♥
    [3/31/2014 3:42:26am] <~Zach> something turned off Windows firewall on my server

That, in a nutshell. Happened on my server and I got disconnected from IRC because of it.

The server was running Server 2003, wasn't it? If you were using it like a desktop computer, well... :3

Years
  • The server was running Server 2003, wasn't it? If you were using it like a desktop computer, well... :3
    I don't run it as a desktop, but I do have the desktop environment loaded on it. I use ZNC to access my IRC on multiple clients, and when those all disconnect but don't reconnect, it traces back to the server :P

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Usually, it's a good idea to investigate unexpected configuration changes on a server.

Years
  • So I've made a commitment to stop using computers after tomorrow, only to be using my cell phone and my tablet, but nothing more.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    If it smells like ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, looks like ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, well ♥♥♥♥ it it's probably ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back