• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond / Pearl Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johto's Best

Luck > Skill
Years
  • The game hates me than...my friend was playing, and he got it within the first hour of playtime...thanks anyway though.

Also, in anyone's opinion, what EV's should I give my Monferno? I've been going with attack and speed. Should I go with Defense or something?

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2023
    I'm a bit confused on the IV's. Let's say I want to breed a Magikarp that will have 31 IVs in Attack and Speed. What do I have to do get those IV's and how will I know if it has 31 IVs in those stats once it's hatched?

The game hates me than...my friend was playing, and he got it within the first hour of playtime...thanks anyway though.

Also, in anyone's opinion, what EV's should I give my Monferno? I've been going with attack and speed. Should I go with Defense or something?

Have you beaten the game yet? If not, I wouldn't bother EV training your Monferno. If you want an EV trained one, breed yours after you beat it.

Years
  • IVs are nearly completely random. In breeding, 1 IV is determined from the each of the parents and another 1 from a random parent. The other 3 are random. You'll have to hope that in one of those 3 random stats that the desired stat is 31 so you can use that Pokemon to breed so that there will be more of a chance that good IVs will be passed down (confusing I know, just try to try it out).
    You can also use this to calculate IVs: Click. It's most accurate for lv. 100 Pokemon, so people do IV battles where they connect to wi-fi and have lv. 100 battles. There should be a thread in the battle stadium made especially for that purpose. However, some Pokemon do have some varying stats at lv. 1 so you can ballpark it and this can be used to somewhat confirm it.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 25, 2009
    couple of things.

Does the location in which an egg is hatched have any effect on the pokemon?

Everstones give a 50% change of passing on natures when the female holds it throughout breeding, but is there any item for male pokemon to pass on natures?

thanks

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    couple of things.

Does the location in which an egg is hatched have any effect on the pokemon?

Everstones give a 50% change of passing on natures when the female holds it throughout breeding, but is there any item for male pokemon to pass on natures?

thanks

Q 1 - No it does not as far as I know but in rare situations it can be handy when determining if a pokemon is hacked or not.

Q 2 - As far as I know there is not item for males that does this.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 25, 2009
    Thanks Haza Divo!!

Another question; is there any way to push towards using a particular natured pokemon through breeding or is it just totally random?

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2023
    The only way to have influence is having the female or Ditto hold an everstone. The eggs have a 50/50 chance of having the nature of that pokemon. Other than that, it comes down to luck.

Johto's Best

Luck > Skill
    Years
  • Just for the few people trying to help me with my EV training

1.) I have beaten the game 10 days after it came out.

2.) My Monferno is bred.

3.) I have access to every area in the game. (Besides the Event areas.)

I've given up on my Monferno. Now, I'm training a Rotom. I was thinking Sp. Atk and Spd. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Only if they're wild and stationary. So, Pokemon received via delivery man aren't affected. This also means that roaming legendaries can't be synchronized either. In Gen III, it only works in Emerald (I believe).

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    It works in Emerald, but not on legendaries. In Gen 4, it works on everything except the above mentioned :)
    Edit: Roaming Pokes can be synced.

It works with legends in Gen 4. Gen 3 was the only one to have the legendary restriction.

rxpapi12

Metal Gear....
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2009
    Anyone know a good site that has good advice for double battling competitively?
    I don't think I see such a thing on Smogon unfortunatly....

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Just for the few people trying to help me with my EV training

1.) I have beaten the game 10 days after it came out.

2.) My Monferno is bred.

3.) I have access to every area in the game. (Besides the Event areas.)

I've given up on my Monferno. Now, I'm training a Rotom. I was thinking Sp. Atk and Spd. What do you guys think?

It depends entirely on what your rotom will be doing. Click here and choose the appropriate EV spread.

gigabyte8877

Cant wait for Platinum
    Years
  • Help With Chaining...

Ok well I have just started the whole Chaining Process...

Well I kninda understand how to do it,but Ive been doing it right I think...

What happens is, I start a chain, once up to 8, it stops.. And Its not like Im not going after the right pokemon, Each time, I go to the Farthest away pokemon, but once at 8 BLAM..
    Ergg..
    Help Pleaz

Years
  • The Pokemon has to be the same every single time or it doesn't work. Also, going out into the edges of grassy patches reduces your chances of continuing a chain (from my experience anyway).

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2023
    Can the tutor who teaches Draco Meteor teach it to more than one pokemon? Or is using the move tutor like in FR/LG where it could only be done once?

Johto's Best

Luck > Skill
    Years
  • I went on the GTS and offered up a pokemon for trade, I looked for a few minutes more and left. When I came back the next day, my offered pokemon (a lvl. 97 Salamence, Male) was gone! I didn't get any pokemon in exchange, and it said that I didn't offer up a pokemon for trade, but it's nowhere to be found. Does anyone know what happened?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back