• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Did adding infinite TMs make things OP?

Years
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original idea for TMs being able to just be used once so that people don't just put all the super powered moves on all of their pokemon? So by offering infinite TM usage doesn't that make it possible to be cheap and make your team OP?

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2013
    Using all of the "super powered" moves on every pokemon limits coverage. When you limit coverage, you get walled easier. When you get walled easier, you get walled. When you get walled, you lose. Don't lose.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • No. Single use TMs were just an annoyance, if anything. People would just trade for them if they wanted to hace a specific moveset on one of their 'mons.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • No, no and once more no.
    Movepools of Pokémon are almost never sufficient so we need to use TMs and having just one meant incomplete moveset which was really annoying :/
    If the movepools were better than there would be no need for infinite TMs but now it's neccessary and I love that they did it.

Flute

Full-time loser
    Years
  • I think all the TM's should be obtainable in shops, but definitely not infinite. Infinite is way too spoonfed.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think they made TMs infinite just to please meta-gamers/wifi battlers because there was less reason to hack/cheat to get your ideal Pokémon.

However, in light of the actual story-gameplay, I agree. It's all too easy to give a good TM to half your team. It means there is no thinking about what to use, like if you suddenly switched one Pokémon to another you could quickly mimic it's moveset.

I think, what they should have done, is make some kind of event post-elite 4 which turns all TMs into some kind of new item, which are then infinite.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • No, I don't think reusable TMs made anything overpowered because having single-use TMs was annoying and needed careful thinking on who it was used on. And I also second what A Sadistic Bastard said.

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
  • I'm actually on the fence with this one.

I do like the infinite TMs because they're convenient, and I don't have to worry about using them on accident. However, getting the same move on a party of six in 5 minutes doesn't seem like the way to go either. It feels like all of the Pokemon then have the same advantage, and in my opinion can make the game less challenging. :/ Now to think of it, yeah, I agree doing that limits coverage, but that's meta game-wise, isn't it?

This might sound like a difficult request to fulfill, but maybe make the players earn the TMs instead, without having the TMs to be infinite or "one-time only"? Like the below poster mentioned, most of the stronger TMs are found post-game, so I wouldn't worry about it making things overpowered during the main storyline, if that's what you mean.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • So what if they're reusable? I think most people traded over TMs from their other game, got someone else to trade them extras, or hacked them in anyway. Get rid of that hassle, and we get this. I think it's a great feature. It's not really overpowered either. You get most of the really desirable TMs in the post game by doing annoying explorations. Flamethrower after Surfing and Waterfalling to Abundant Shrine, Earthquake after traversing through the latter parts of Desert Resort, etc. So yeah. I'm glad they made this feature. Besides, what made TMs break in previous generations? They're just like...CDs. That's like saying when you listen to a song on a CD, it's broken and you can never use it again.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Using all of the "super powered" moves on every pokemon limits coverage. When you limit coverage, you get walled easier. When you get walled easier, you get walled. When you get walled, you lose. Don't lose.

Here's your answer right here.
    Just because TM's are now of infinite usage doesn't make them better than before. If your argument that infinite TM's is OP because you can stick Hyper Beam on all of your fully evolved Pokemon then you're going to have a difficult time battling because you're limiting your team.

Infinite TM's does not make the game easy, it makes the game convenient. There is a notable difference in that you still need to be wise about which TM's are given to which Pokemon.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I loved the ideas of infinte TMs. It was just plain annoying when you only had 1 use on them. I hope they keep it like this in all games to come.

Besides most people would just use a cheating device to get more of the TMs so it just saves money.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    Not for me. It made it easier to have your perfect team. Only thing I noticed was that most of my team shares two moves with each other, which is kind of annoying.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    As someone who loves to hoard items, infinite-use TMs are awesome. I think they quite easily solved the issue of the possibility of being 'overpowered' by spacing them out quite nicely - the better ones that you could get were either out of the way later on or only available in post-game, preventing you from spamming Earthquake early on, for example.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • No, they didn't make it OP at all, and they really should have done this a while ago. Now we won't have to worry about finding the right Pokemon to give a specific move too, and sometimes on my teams some Pokemon share moves, so this makes it a lot easier (a move like Thunderbolt or Ice Beam for example would be used on different Pokemon).

A downside to this is that I think Gamefreak decided that since they're infinite, they should be harder to get, so unfortunately TMs like Earthquake and Flamethrower weren't obtainable until much later :/ I never used any of the TMs during the game actually, I never found any of them viable on my Pokemon. (maybe 1 or 2.)

Years
  • I like the infinite TMs but it feels like the moves have been swapped out for moves that aren't as good.
    So it feels that we're getting weaker moves in return for TMs being unbreakable.

Years
  • I think it stupid, atleast pre-E4. Just made everything too easy. Yes, it's convenient for WIFI battles/etc., but other than that it made things stupidly simple and far less challenging.

I'm shocked by the amount of "Oh it was annoying only having 1 of the TM!", that's what made it challenging! That's what made you think strategically like "Ok I have 1 Stealth Rock, I can't waste it." (Again, this is not WIFI battle-wise, just storyline wise.)

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • I don't think it's a problem - players are going to seek ways to get access to duplicate TMs through trading etc/breed the moves anyway. It's just another way that Gen V streamlined the experience. and geared it towards WiFi.

Agreed that it made the main game too easy in many ways. But never gamebreakingly so. And the main game was very slick and streamlined anyway so it never felt like I'd cheated myself by using a TM more than once.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
  • I found it very useful. It was stupid previously as one-use. I would be scared to use any TMs because what if I wanted to change Pokemon and I used Iron Tail and Ice Beam on the current Pokemon already? I'm obligated to keep it. Infinite TM usage is far from broken. If you struggle in-game, you are playing Pokemon very wrong / aren't buying Moo Moo Milk.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I found it very useful. It was stupid previously as one-use. I would be scared to use any TMs because what if I wanted to change Pokemon and I used Iron Tail and Ice Beam on the current Pokemon already? I'm obligated to keep it. Infinite TM usage is far from broken. If you struggle in-game, you are playing Pokemon very wrong / aren't buying Moo Moo Milk.

I agree with you
    Infinit TM's dont make things OP in any way its way more convenient, specially on some pokemons witch their movepool sucks TM's give more coverage in some cases
    Using superpower powered moves has its advantages , you could be walled and there is recharge time on some like hyper beam witch is gives a free turn to the opponent , and you could loose because of that

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'd say both yes and no. While they were one of my favourite things introduced in B/W, there were fairly easy to abuse and you could find your entire team sharing moves because of how powerful they are. I would like them to stay, but make it so you would have to do a sub-quest to make them re-usuable.

Back