• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Didn't You Wish For A Longer Adventure In HG&SS?

vobgro

Pokabu Pokabu Pokabu Pokabu
Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2012
    Opinion

Kanto isn't all that great in my opinion :-(

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2013
    Having all regions on 1 game card wouldn't be possible(I think). It would also be a stupid move on Nintendo's part... Its not going to happen so stop making threads mentioning that. As for the adventure length not at all. Its a pretty long game (70+ hours leisurely?) and compared to games of today(10-15 hours) thats a long time... Also the things you can do when the game is over are virtually limitless.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • I'm only about to first encounter the elite 4, and then I journey through a whole other region. I think the length is perfect, it feels longer than any other game just because of the 2 regions.

Years
  • I'm only about to first encounter the elite 4, and then I journey through a whole other region. I think the length is perfect, it feels longer than any other game just because of the 2 regions.
    I do feel it's longer than the others. But it's just not long enough for me and some other pokemon fans. :\

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    30 hours in and have only just entered Victory Road. :3
    Been taking the adventure around Johto nice and slow, been enjoying the training in familiar old areas and speaking to the characters.
    I think the length (from what I hear) is fine. :3

ILoveDragonite

~~Do the wave~~
    Years
  • No the adventure length was fine, but i would have loved more stuff to do after you beat the game (Yeah there's red and legends but i mean a little after story...Maybe help one of the gym leaders do something.)

Hahlin

The USN Soldier
    Years
  • They need to make a game encompassing dozens of little side quests, a trainer maker option, a "make your own story" mode, a starting region selection, and a "earn the starter of your choice" mechanic into the game. Cram that into a DS game and you have a great seller for sure!

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
  • Well, technically, no. I'm never satisfied with anyone Pokemon game's length. They always seem a bit too short for my liking, even though I absolutely love the series. For example, my copy of Pokemon Pearl took only five days to defeat the entire Elite Four, and I'm talking five days from the launch date. I would hope that, in Pokemon Black and White, they go the extra mile and add two extra regions into the game (Kanto and Sinnoh, Kanto and Johto, Kanto and Hoenn, ect, ect). Imagine collecting twenty-four badges, and facing that area's Elite Four! Now that is a Pokemon game that would take a decent amount of time to beat.

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    Well, technically, no. I'm never satisfied with anyone Pokemon game's length. They always seem a bit too short for my liking, even though I absolutely love the series. For example, my copy of Pokemon Pearl took only five days to defeat the entire Elite Four, and I'm talking five days from the launch date. I would hope that, in Pokemon Black and White, they go the extra mile and add two extra regions into the game (Kanto and Sinnoh, Kanto and Johto, Kanto and Hoenn, ect, ect). Imagine collecting twenty-four badges, and facing that area's Elite Four! Now that is a Pokemon game that would take a decent amount of time to beat.

But surely then, people would complain it's very repetitive and Nintendo have not really added anything else into the game other than repeating the same process just in a different reigon and the option of different region'ed pokemon?

Seriously, whilst I feel some game mechanics of the entire series could be improved 70 hours game play in reality is long, not everyone is going to be able to sail through the same, Nintendo have to take into account the whole market - Hardcore Pokefan's will be able to cruise through the game in a matter of days (hence why they try to give a fair amount to do aftergame.) But they also need to factor that not everyone can play for endless hours but still want to complete the game in a reasonable timeframe (a year, a month etc)

It all comes down to the fact that, no matter what Nintendo do to the games, their will always be something to complain about :-P

(edit; Team Rocket really could have had more of a impact on Johto in the remake though! I whole heartedly agree there!)

Black/White seem to be adding some interesting factors to the game (so they say) so lets hope (just don't get to hopeful :P) that they will spice the game up!

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    I would have liked some Hoehn (Which I can NEVER spell right T.T), but I think with 2 regions, Lugia/Ho-oh, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Latios/Latias, Kyogre/Groudon, Dialga/Palkia/Girantina, it's a pretty complete game.

M O M U S U

Fail-safe
    Years
  • The adventure was WAY too short, especially since there are two regions!
    I was hoping they would, I don't know, make it a little more challenging?
    With all these newcomers to Pokemon nowadays, most of them kids, Game Freak has been making the games a whole lot easier. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were just jokes, they were insanely easy.

In the end, it's not the content in the games. I mean, they added a Pokethlon, a Battle Frontier, and a completely reinvented Safari Zone. And a lot of legendaries, too. They added a lot of stuff that wasn't in the beginning games.

But, it was too easy to last long. I say the next Pokemon games should have a difficulty setting?
    It could go something like Youngster/Ace Trainer/Elite Four Champion
    Or something like that.

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    I would enjoy that difficulty thing.
    However, I did enjoy zipping through the game. It was quite fun if you ask me.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • I agree actually.
    I finished the whole thing in about sixty hours.
    The Rockets needed to be more involved.
    But I'm going to trade my pokes to Platinum and start over,
    maybe it'll be better this time around.

They need to make a game encompassing dozens of little side quests, a trainer maker option, a "make your own story" mode, a starting region selection, and a "earn the starter of your choice" mechanic into the game. Cram that into a DS game and you have a great seller for sure!

While sidequests sound amazing, I totally disagree on the customization ideas. Especially "make your own story", how would that even work? It would just confuse younger players, and I don't honestly see why nintendo would do something so unorthodox.

Last edited:

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
  • But surely then, people would complain it's very repetitive and Nintendo have not really added anything else into the game other than repeating the same process just in a different reigon and the option of different region'ed pokemon?

Seriously, whilst I feel some game mechanics of the entire series could be improved 70 hours game play in reality is long, not everyone is going to be able to sail through the same, Nintendo have to take into account the whole market - Hardcore Pokefan's will be able to cruise through the game in a matter of days (hence why they try to give a fair amount to do aftergame.) But they also need to factor that not everyone can play for endless hours but still want to complete the game in a reasonable timeframe (a year, a month etc)

It all comes down to the fact that, no matter what Nintendo do to the games, their will always be something to complain about :-P

(edit; Team Rocket really could have had more of a impact on Johto in the remake though! I whole heartedly agree there!)

Black/White seem to be adding some interesting factors to the game (so they say) so lets hope (just don't get to hopeful :P) that they will spice the game up!

True. I'd like two different versions of Pokemon, in that case. One for the 'casual' gamers (the ones that play it on the bus or train, not really following the online updates), and one for the hardcore gamers (the ones that drink coffee at 3:00 AM in the morning, just to get their Eevee to evolve into the right evolution).

Also, Kanto was, in my opinion, uninspired. I wanted the entire Kanto, Safari Zone and all.

I'd love to see a game where Team Rocket, Aqua, Magma, and Galactic start fighting amongst each other, and you (being the hero) have to kick all their asses. Now that would be interesting.

Yeah, I'm hoping Black and White will spice things up for me, cause the whole 'Stop the evil team, collect badges' route is getting kind of old. Hopefully, they'll be adding some new evolutions to Pokemon that need them (Lapras, Tauros, Farfetch'd). Hell, Nintendo should come down to PokeCommunity and sample the talent here! I think Nintendo would gladly hire some of the people here to do sprite and/or story work.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Have you forgotten that HGSS is just a remake? Everyone's forgetting what a remake really means.

[jq]A remake is a piece of media based primarily on an earlier work of the same medium.[/jq]

Changing the length of the adventure in HGSS will really disappoint the fans of G/S/C. Since it is based on G/S/C changing the length of its adventure will be, well, stupid. And including all the regions? WTF??? If they did that, it won't be much of a remake anymore. FYI, HGSS is a lengthy adventure for me.

If you did something like doing a remake with all regions, then it won't be called a remake. It'll be more of a variation. All of the posters here want a variation because they want to add more.

[jq]In game design, variation is the process whereby the community of players, rather than any officiating authority, adapts the rules for informal play. If a variant becomes popular, it will often be published in a rules document like Hoyle's Rules of Games. It may supplant the original game. For example, Hearts is usually played with a variation whereby the Jack of Diamonds carries a -10 (desired, since points are penalty) point value, in a variant known as "Omnibus hearts".[/jq]

So, in conclusion what I want in HGSS is more of a challenge. Higher Pokemon levels and harder trainers.

Back