• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]

Those of you who liked the game and want to see more, what would you like to see next?

• A Digimon hack of Pokemon Emerald (Gen III)

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • A Digimon hack of Pokemon Gold (Gen II)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Quit hacking forever because you didn't include my boy Apollomon

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2021
    Glad you're enjoying it!

The guy in that YouTube video is playing version 1. Back then, there were only 150 Digimon and they were more or less just Pokemon with different names and sprites.

Changing the icons to Digivices was literally just an effort thing. Even in Version 1 they were inconsistent (sizing was all over the place). Still, I may one day bring the icon sprites back if I get enough free time. Thanks for the feedback!

no worries, thanks for the answer :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2021
    Haven't started playing yet, but this looks super cool! I was wondering, could I get a list of the levels of the aces of every Gym Leader and E4 member? Thinking of running a hardcore nuzlocke on it and wouldn't want to overlevel anything, or go in underleveled and lose a run.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Online now
    Haven't started playing yet, but this looks super cool! I was wondering, could I get a list of the levels of the aces of every Gym Leader and E4 member? Thinking of running a hardcore nuzlocke on it and wouldn't want to overlevel anything, or go in underleveled and lose a run.

Sure, no problem. Feel free to post a screenshot of your Hall of Fame once you beat it. I like seeing everyone's unique teams.

Not gonna list every mon but here are the ones you gotta worry about:
    Spoiler:

Good luck!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Hello, loving the hackrom so far a nice idea and for a first hack you can only keep getting better so I super look forward to what you accomplish in the future!

For a bug I don't know if this is my problem or just nobody reported it, I am playing the parch that says 2.3 just to be clear, first on Route 4 before you enter Mount Moon the Magikarp salesman should sell you Manbomon like he tells you but when I bought it to try I ended with a Yanmamon (pretty broken attacks too for that point lol) I thought maybe that was a problem with the NPC but when I reached Vermillion City and tried the Old Rod I should've gotten Manbomon too I assume but I'm fishing Yanmamon too so maybe there's a problem that you have to check in there.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Online now
    Hello, loving the hackrom so far a nice idea and for a first hack you can only keep getting better so I super look forward to what you accomplish in the future!

For a bug I don't know if this is my problem or just nobody reported it, I am playing the parch that says 2.3 just to be clear, first on Route 4 before you enter Mount Moon the Magikarp salesman should sell you Manbomon like he tells you but when I bought it to try I ended with a Yanmamon (pretty broken attacks too for that point lol) I thought maybe that was a problem with the NPC but when I reached Vermillion City and tried the Old Rod I should've gotten Manbomon too I assume but I'm fishing Yanmamon too so maybe there's a problem that you have to check in there.

Thanks for letting me know! Fixed!

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2021
    Welcome to the Digital World!

Say goodbye to every mon you know! Introducing...

Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]

Are you tired of the same old batch of starters?

The same Legendaries and Pseudos fought and caught again and again and again?

The same archetypes you know like the back of your Pokewatch?

Say hello to a whole slew of new monsters to fight and catch! No Pokemon here, I'm talking about DIGIMON - DIGITAL MONSTERS!

FEATURES
    250 new monsters with unique stats, abilities, Typing, and movepools built from the ground-up!

NO MORE FILLER MONS!
    Every single Digimon is viable! Don't be afraid to build a team out of your favourite Digimon!

Five stages for prominent Digimon!

Unique attacks from the Digimon canon with unique animations (courtesy of ortz3's excellent Animation Editor)!

"Digidex" (Pokedex) descriptions list requirements for evolution, so you never need to feel out of the loop!

EV/IV Checker, Gen IV Abilities and Moves, Fairy Type, Physical-Special Split, Poison Survival, BW Repel System, Reusable TMs, forgettable HM moves, etc.

Minor dialogue tweaks

Ice Buff
    (Ice now resists Grass and Ground)

Credits:
    Spoiler:

Full DigiDex:
    Spoiler:

Known Glitches:
    Spoiler:

Download:
    The ONLY official download of this hack! If you simply Google "Digimon Nova Red" you'll see outdated versions on third-party websites! Here is the only place to get the most up to date release!

CHANGE LOG
    Spoiler:

ADVICE
    Spoiler:

Constructive feedback and play testers welcome! Thanks!

How do I download this game??

Cosmic105

Genshin Addict, Pokemon Lover <3
    Years
    • She/Them
    • Seen Oct 13, 2022
    i put my moonmon in the daycare to level grind and now every time i talk to the daycare person the text is glitchy, screen goes black and the music fades out and now i can't get my moonmon out of the daycare :(

took me quite a bit to switch train it too i'm still right after second gym

(edit: nvm it might only glitch if the digimon placed in the daycare hasn't raised a level yet? i managed to get it out but i'm definitely not putting it back in)

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Online now
    i put my moonmon in the daycare to level grind and now every time i talk to the daycare person the text is glitchy, screen goes black and the music fades out and now i can't get my moonmon out of the daycare :(

took me quite a bit to switch train it too i'm still right after second gym

(edit: nvm it might only glitch if the digimon placed in the daycare hasn't raised a level yet? i managed to get it out but i'm definitely not putting it back in)

Thanks for letting me know! No idea how to fix that so I'll put a warning message on the front page.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Since people have (apparently) figured out how to do Mega-Evolution in Gen-4, I am curious if there is anything like that in Gen-3 you could use.

Also have you considered anything that you might want to do with the happiness mechanics? When they were first introduced in Yellow and later refined in Gold/Silver it seems to have very-much been a response to the success of Digimon (and Tamagotchi) as V-Pets.

Just seems like there must be some room to do something funny in this crossover with the Pokémon mechanic that was literally a reaction to the Digimon project that launched the entire franchise.

If Mega-Evolution were an option, I'd just suggest giving Digimon with Max-Happiness the ability to evolve to their next form temporarily for one fight; with the draw-back that afterwards their happiness takes a major blow.

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Online now
    Since people have (apparently) figured out how to do Mega-Evolution in Gen-4, I am curious if there is anything like that in Gen-3 you could use.

Also have you considered anything that you might want to do with the happiness mechanics? When they were first introduced in Yellow and later refined in Gold/Silver it seems to have very-much been a response to the success of Digimon (and Tamagotchi) as V-Pets.

Just seems like there must be some room to do something funny in this crossover with the Pokémon mechanic that was literally a reaction to the Digimon project that launched the entire franchise.

If Mega-Evolution were an option, I'd just suggest giving Digimon with Max-Happiness the ability to evolve to their next form temporarily for one fight; with the draw-back that afterwards their happiness takes a major blow.

Thank you for the suggestion! My personal headcanon is that Pokemon's Mega Evolutions were also inspired by Digimon (having something cute turn into something fearsome, but only temporarily so you're not stuck with a super-powered monster permanently).

As an amateur hacker, the only thing related to Happiness I can do would be your basic evolution once max happiness is reached. In the future I intend on making a Digimon hack of Pokemon Emerald, and there are some wicked rombases out there for Emerald that include Mega Evolutions, so maybe I'll include them in some way. Still not sure. Thank you for the suggestions!

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2023
    FInally! I've been waiting for a decent Digimon rom hack for years. Going to try it out, thank you so much!

Rather than another romhack of a different generation, I personally would love to see this romhack worked on and improved with features like changing Gym Leaders / Elite Four / Professor Oak sprites to Digimon characters. Just so the immersion is even better! That would be awesome.

BUT, absolutely love the work and effort. I attempted this hack myself years ago and failed miserably. Changing the evolutions, moves and types and updating all the Pokemon sprites was just such a chore with the tools at the time. So I cannot thank you enough for making this.

Please continue to update this awesome hack, I will post again once I've completed the game for a more thorough review.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Thank you for the suggestion! My personal headcanon is that Pokemon's Mega Evolutions were also inspired by Digimon (having something cute turn into something fearsome, but only temporarily so you're not stuck with a super-powered monster permanently).

I do wonder about that myself; its a fun idea, and comparing the mechanics is a lot of fun. Even if from a historical perspective it seems a lot less clear-cut than Pokémon getting V-Pet elements around a year and a quarter after Digimon's original 17 million selling V-Pet.

As an amateur hacker, the only thing related to Happiness I can do would be your basic evolution once max happiness is reached.

I can relate to that a lot! My only experience with making mods is with Shadow The Hedgehog so unfortunately I can't really offer any help on that.

Out of curiosity do you also have to use some form of Assembly for programming?

In the future I intend on making a Digimon hack of Pokemon Emerald, and there are some wicked rombases out there for Emerald that include Mega Evolutions, so maybe I'll include them in some way. Still not sure.

That sounds like a big challenge! I don't really have any skills that I could use to offer help, so I wish you a lot of luck!

Thank you for the suggestions!

Thank you for your reply and your amazing work!

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Online now
    FInally! I've been waiting for a decent Digimon rom hack for years. Going to try it out, thank you so much!

Rather than another romhack of a different generation, I personally would love to see this romhack worked on and improved with features like changing Gym Leaders / Elite Four / Professor Oak sprites to Digimon characters. Just so the immersion is even better! That would be awesome.

BUT, absolutely love the work and effort. I attempted this hack myself years ago and failed miserably. Changing the evolutions, moves and types and updating all the Pokemon sprites was just such a chore with the tools at the time. So I cannot thank you enough for making this.

Please continue to update this awesome hack, I will post again once I've completed the game for a more thorough review.

Thank you for the glowing feedback! I worked pretty hard on the spriting/stats/movepools/etc. for each Digimon so that means a lot.

I considered changing the sprites to resemble Digimon characters but eventually decided against it. The main reason being this is still a Pokemon game and runs on Pokemon mechanics, such as capturing a team of mons, competing them against one another, collecting badges, etc. Plus, the Digimon universe is fundamentally different from the Pokemon one: Digimon literally fight to the death for the sake of their own for survival whereas Pokemon compete in a friendly competition.

With that in mind, don't think too hard about a "story." If I had to come up with a premise, I guess it would be: one day a rift opened up in the Pokemon world and all sorts of Digimon flooded through. Pokemon trainers found that Digimon could be caught and trained just like Pokemon. As for what happened to all the Pokemon? I guess they went extinct (depressing, I know lol)

Looking forward to your review once you finish the game! Feel free to post a screenshot of your Hall of Fame. Oh and please let me know what you think of the difficulty curve; I'm still not sure if I made the E4 too difficult or not.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Online now
    I do wonder about that myself; its a fun idea, and comparing the mechanics is a lot of fun. Even if from a historical perspective it seems a lot less clear-cut than Pokémon getting V-Pet elements around a year and a quarter after Digimon's original 17 million selling V-Pet.

I can relate to that a lot! My only experience with making mods is with Shadow The Hedgehog so unfortunately I can't really offer any help on that.

Out of curiosity do you also have to use some form of Assembly for programming?

That sounds like a big challenge! I don't really have any skills that I could use to offer help, so I wish you a lot of luck!

Thank you for your reply and your amazing work!

Yeah it's interesting, right? Pokemon development was influenced side-by-side with Digimon, emerging cellular phones, and other VPets like Tamogachi. As such the games started to incorporate all sorts of elements that were cutting-edge at the time. But from the get-go Digimon had a superior evolution premise imo. I remember some kids on the schoolyard deliberately kept some of their Pokemon under-evolved because they wanted to keep them "cute."

As far as hacking goes, I relied only on the most basic of programs: Pokemon Game Editor, a very simple Hex editor, etc.

Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2021
    can someone answer me some questions. my seadramon doesn't want to evolve, every time his evolution animation appears, it stops out of nowhere with the following message, "!? ". Could someone tell me what I can be doing to make it evolve? the other question is, how can i make my veemon evolve into magnamon? and finally, which level greymon evolves into metalgreymon, and which level metalgreymon evolves into wargreymon?

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Online now
    can someone answer me some questions. my seadramon doesn't want to evolve, every time his evolution animation appears, it stops out of nowhere with the following message, "!? ". Could someone tell me what I can be doing to make it evolve? the other question is, how can i make my veemon evolve into magnamon? and finally, which level greymon evolves into metalgreymon, and which level metalgreymon evolves into wargreymon?

Are you playing the most up-to-date version? Version 1 from several months ago didn't start you off with the national dex. This was fixed in all subsequent updates. Please keep in mind that a save file from version 1 can't be swapped out with an ips patch. Version 1 and the current version are completely different games.

Veemon evolves into ExVeemon at either 30 or 35 (can't remember exactly), and ExVeemon evolves into Magnamon at either level 45 or 50.
    Greymon to MetalGreymon at 45, and MetalGreymon to Wargreymon at 60.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2021
    Are you playing the most up-to-date version? Version 1 from several months ago didn't start you off with the national dex. This was fixed in all subsequent updates. Please keep in mind that a save file from version 1 can't be swapped out with an ips patch. Version 1 and the current version are completely different games.

Veemon evolves into ExVeemon at either 30 or 35 (can't remember exactly), and ExVeemon evolves into Magnamon at either level 45 or 50.
    Greymon to MetalGreymon at 45, and MetalGreymon to Wargreymon at 60.

well, i appreciate the help you gave me with this information, but unfortunately i won't be able to put it into practice. I was playing on an outdated version of RUM, and I downloaded this newer version. but my emulator can't emulate this RUM, I tried to transform it into (gba) but I couldn't. I appreciate the work and effort in this RUM, but I won't be able to play it, right here I say goodbye

Back