• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Disappointments with the 5th Gen Thus Far?

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I don't really think im dissapointed with anything so far to be honest :D I am a bit sad about the follow me feature being scraped though :(

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • True, but I really, really, really, really, really, REALLY wish Nintendo would STOP MAKING POKEMON OUT OF ANIMALS?!?! Seriously!! If you have no more ideas; STOP.

CAPSLOCK = SRS BSNSS MIRITE?

Well, what else do you expect pokemon to be based on? even back in the glory days of RBY, the vast majority of pokemon were animalistic in nature. Nothing wrong with that...just a way of making the Pokemon world analogous to the real world.

Besides, we only have five known genV pokemon. There could still be many more artificial and inorganic pokemon introduced.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    The only real disappointing thing is that the game isn't in my hands yet. XD

If you want me to nitpick though, I think putting it on the DS as opposed to the 3DS is a huge mistake. With how ambitious this game is, I can imagine space limitations being a huge factor, such as perhaps being the culprit behind the loss of the pokemon following you feature, and may hinder other aspects including the number of new pokemon, the number of new attacks, etc...

Also, if you stop complaining about pokemon designs, they will grow on you. I hated Turtwig and Piplup when they were revealed, but I've come to like them more than Chimchar, who I expected to be my favorite. Same applies to over half of the new evolutions added in GenIV.

You know that is exactly what I was thinking but then some people were like "putting it on the 3DS would be a stupid idea since most people probably wouldn't buy the system anyways." I don't mind it being on the DS. Still I can't wait for the 3DS and would love it if Gen 5 is on it. I figure it's too late to put it on the 3DS now, and it seems like an incredibly stupid idea to introduce a new system then put one of the best selling video game series on its predecessor. Maybe Nintendo just has something in store for us regarding that. I mean it may not be too late to make the platform switch or offer the games on both the DS and 3DS.

Years
  • Because when a company buys out a section of a building (As most big buildings aren't owned by one single person, but have many companies inside) they can make them look like whatever they want.
    Mind you we have a McDonalds here and it rests at the very bottom of a gigantic skyscraper.
    The thing looks WAY out of place, aesthetically distasteful, BUT, it draws attention, and it is NOT a normal sight.
    A pretty good marketing ploy.... BUT... this is pokemon, Pokemon Centers are FREE, why would they need to attract attention?
    Because a small red building would in fact probably look more out of place by itself than with a big building on top of it.
    All those tall buildings towering over this small little Pokemon Center...
    It also makes it seem like there is more uses for those oh so plentiful blank buildings that serve no purpose other than scenery in the pokemon world.

i think your forgeting that pokemarts are going to be inside pokemon centers now.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • You know that is exactly what I was thinking but then some people were like "putting it on the 3DS would be a stupid idea since most people probably wouldn't buy the system anyways." I don't mind it being on the DS. Still I can't wait for the 3DS and would love it if Gen 5 is on it. I figure it's too late to put it on the 3DS now, and it seems like an incredibly stupid idea to introduce a new system then put one of the best selling video game series on its predecessor. Maybe Nintendo just has something in store for us regarding that. I mean it may not be too late to make the platform switch or offer the games on both the DS and 3DS.

True...this brings to mind what happened with Twilight Princess. Nintendo was adamant in reminding everyone that it was developed for the GameCube, but eventually made it multi-platform for the Wii after its first delay. Though I highly doubt that this will be the case here, it is possible. :P

RocketAdmin.

Custom User Title. :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    The general surroundings suck, to be honest. You can see where the tiles join, the walls are blocky, etc. Let's just hope it's a prototype! :)

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • Well, yea, it is a prototype, isn't it? I mean, if it wasn't and the game was completed fully, wouldn't we know more about it than we do now? But I actually like the industrial theme. I hope one of those skyscrapers is a division of the Silph Co. or Devon Co. that we can visit.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012
    I don't have any major complaints, but I don't really like the way the new main charachters look. The girl looks like she's in dire need of some hairspray and the boy... I can't really find anything to say about him.. I just don't like him much. haha

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I can't really say I've found anything disappointing about Black/White yet. But, it is only early days after all and I may just change my mind.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    The new interface does seem a bit different, but I'm sure in time everyone will adapt like the previous versions. I mean, besides. It's not that different, really.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I hope that the Pokemon-following-you feature returns from HGSS as an option that you can turn on and off at your will. I wouldn't mind if the HGSS overworld Pokemon sprites were reused, because it seems kind of daunting to create such sprites for the previously released 493 Pokemon again, plus the who-knows-how-many Pokemon being introduced in Generation V. As long as they made new overworld sprite for the new Generation V Pokemon and add those to the 493 overworld Pokemon, I would be content. I'm surprised that Nintendo went through the trouble to make shiny overworld Pokemon variants as well. With that much effort invested for just 2 games, I hardly think that this particular feature is going to be axed in BW after all that work...

Other than that, no complaints so far! I'm kind of hoping that the "third version" (Gray?) comes out on the Nintendo 3DS to permit for even more expansive features...

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I hope theres an option for the 'Follow Me' to be turned off or on, else from what we can see, there is NO follow me feature :(

Vecransyh

Veteran Trainer
    Years
  • IMO the starters are the stupidest looking ever. No they are not cute, the green one looks so smug I want to punch it in the face.

Anyway yeah...what everyone else has said, 3d was a bad idea, too many pokemans.

Serin

Noob
    Years
  • Only disappointed thus far in how pixelated the back sprites are in battle. I can see that annoying me quite a bit. Hopefully this will either look better on a DS screen that's in front of my hands, or they do a better job with the actual pixel work.

I think everything else so far looks fantastic though.

Your one of a few people that said this. I think it could have just been the pictures.

Battle scene. The outline pixels do look a bit large because of how the backsprite is so close to you, but I think it would be easily look passed because of the quality of the sprites and animations.
    h t t p://w w w.youtube.c o m/watch?v=XBIv2Ql2W5s&feature=related (no spaces)

My only complaint is the starters. So far the Grass Snake thing has grown on me and I've taken a liking to it, but the other two are just butt ugly.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • My disappointment is that in all of the screenshots there was no pokemon walking around behind the trainer. What gives? I liked having my pokmeon with me in Heartgold and Soulsilver. \./

You know, I'm pretty glad they kept out the sprites. Sure, when I first started HG it was pretty cool to be trailed by a buddy all the time. But as it progressed, it lost it's appeal for me, and after realizing that 80% of the OW sprites were horrendously malformed, I just kind of wanted an off button. That being said, I was glad it was implemented into the remake, because, being a remake, HGSS needed some extra appeal. However, I think the new generation can and should go without the sprites, because with a new region to explore, new pokemon to catch, and a (slightly) new storyline, I personally will forget all about the following pokes. Besides, I prefer enhanced graphics and moving sprites over ugly stalkermons.

I can't stand any of the starters.

Maybe if you quit thinking negatively and give each one a good long look, and think of their good features, you'll realize they're not so bad.

They're probably gonna make far too many legends again. (I think there are now over 30 legendaries, they might come close to doubling that number in Gen 5)

W-what? Where did you even get this assumption? Seriously? Not one legendary has been released, and you're complaining that there are too many? I just don't understand.

Surely they could have called them something better than Black and White, I think Ebony and Ivory would be nicer choices.

I think they were going for the whole "standard colors" deal from first gen.

Why... WHY IS THERE A POKEMON CENTRE ON THE BOTTOM FLOOR OF A HUGE SKYSCRAPER? Have somewhere to heal your Pokemon inside if neccecary, but they didn't have to ruin the design of the building by putting in a tiny out of place Pokemon center.

I agree, the should have placed the center near the docks or something, a little far from the actual city. But it's just one pokemon center, so, meh.

Also, Team Rocket probably won't be making a comeback for this generation, and even if they did they'd probably be pushovers again...

Quoth foreign rocket member from HGSS: "I will go to home country and rebuild Team Rocket!" ...or something like that. Not saying they will be there but it's possible...

Remember
    when cacthing 150 Pokemon seemed like a HUGE task? It looks like those days are gone forever...

Well, make catching the 150 pokes of the Standard Dex your goal?

Last edited:

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Mijamaru...... he is the worst water starter period>.
    hmm, wonder why I didn't see this comment when I was browsing through the other posts.

here we go with more complaining. Honestly I don't see how you could say Miju is the worst water starter when you don't even know it's moves, stats, or evolutions yet. Don't let appearance fool you. I'm gonna lmao if Mijumaru evolves into some kick ass evo and proves comments like these wrong. As a water lover I don't think there is one water starter that is the worst of the bunch. They all have their own flaws.

I agree; I actually expected it to be the best of the starters when the shadows were leaked but... It turned being the worst one.
    And... why is it white? Why white? I thought it was an otter, not a snowman D:

Sea otters have round heads, and some have white fur as well which explains why Miju's head is white. They also have freckles and maybe with all of that combined it just appears as if Miju is a clown instead of a sea otter (they could have used diff. colors but it grows on you). In addition to that sea otters have the thickest fur of all mammals and underneath they store air in it for warmth (which may be why Miju has that patch of fur beneath its neck). I honestly think people would understand Mijumaru more if they took the time to look up facts about sea otters..oh and they're labeled as endangered species so Miju should be receiving more love :D.

I don't really got complaints but I don't like the way they've merged the pokecenter in a huge skyscraper, It kinda looks lame and unrealistic.

Unrealistic? Have you seen some of the skylines in this world? They go from flat to 45-60 floor high rises in a sec in some areas. A perfect example to back up my claims, but just on a larger scale would be the supertall Toky Sky Tree
    Disappointments with the 5th Gen Thus Far?

If you ask me, the pokemon center may look a tad bit off but it still fits in well.

Last edited:

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
  • Uuh...Imo, I'd say...Yes >.>
    Some Disappointments on the starters :

-Tsutaja actually reminds me of a mix between Treecko and Cindaquil Cx
    -I also found the pokemons are looking more and more circular (but maybe it's just me XD)
    -The crowd : it's almost always the same men and girls we're seeing who run Cx Always the same man with the same luggage, and the way they run is weird (detail, I know x3)
    -And I'd rather play a 2.5D game like HG or SS then a weird 3D one
    -Also, I didn't like the starters at all...So what are the new pokemons going to be like ? Cx
    -I'd have prefered a "real" world to discover than just a city, too
    - The fact Sprites are animated is a good thing, would have been better if not too pixelated, in my opinion :[

Overall, I'm not sure weither I'll buy it or not, depends on what news we're getting in the coming days and weeks C:

Last edited:
    Back