• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you actually know how to play the TCG?

Collecting for...

• Show

Votes: 46 36.2%
  • Play

Votes: 23 18.1%
  • Both

Votes: 58 45.7%

• Total voters

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    I remember when I was a kid, everyone collected the cards simply for show, including me. I never got into playing the TCG like in Yu-gi-oh, but that's a different story. So who else out there only collected cards for the nice picture or shiny holographic? Or were you one of those people that actually understand the concept of the Pokemon TCG.

Last edited:

Andelc

Cool Trainer Alex
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    When I first got them they were just for show and trading. My brother and I would just

get the packs just for the "star" card. I gradually learned how to battle, but didn't do

that much. I would battle more but theirs no league or tounaments in my area.

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
    I buy a small pack of Pokémon cards each week, I've never learnt to use them. But I just keep them in a box. Hoping to find a new Squirtle card..

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    I play. I never trade for rares unless they'll benefit my deck, except to get more valuable cards for the end goal of getting that Raichu lv.x or whatever. Frankly, I get nothing out of having a card that's not a part of my game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2008
    I never knew how to play, I pretty much make it up as I go along. ^^ However, I do like Collecting and I have quite a collection. :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2008
    I play and collect! :) I just think its fun if you collect as well as play.

DDD'SSCEPTILE

GekkouKitsune : Shiny Master
    Years
    I know how to play.

Or should I say, "I used to", before they introduced all this new crap.

I never really got to play anyone but my sister and my Mom lol...

I have a load of cards though. I want to start collecting again, so I've been getting them each chance I get. I want one of those star/shiny cards... so far, none.

My biggest problem is that I keep getting the same cards in the same packs, not limited to like similar cards in 2 packs, but actually the same two cards in the same booster pack.

Saturday I got two Scythers, same card. One was flashy, the other was normal.
    I never really did like the flashy cards when they came out with them. Leave the flashiness for the holographic background cards. That's what are good cards. Maybe I'm just old-timey.....

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    My biggest problem is that I keep getting the same cards in the same packs, not limited to like similar cards in 2 packs, but actually the same two cards in the same booster pack.

The chances of that happening aren't that low, and why complain? If you ever DO start to play the game, having multiples of cards is necessary to success.

Shiun Enshidia

The Demon Nicknamer
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2020
    Well I'm a collector first and foremost, but if push came to shove, I could play. I used to be quite good in my heyday. I wish I could play, but the closest league is too far away and I have no-one else to play with, tripled with the fact I don't have sufficient cards to make a deck (unless they let you use old energy cards, then energies are of no concern to me)

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    When I was younger, I collected them merely for the sake of collecting. I was like 5 at the time, so I didn't know the concept nor did I care. I just made up my own rules and played by myself (And when I played with someone else, I made sure I got all the good cards while he/she got the bad cards).
    Nowadays, I try and follow the TCG rules but I find them to be overcomplicated for some odd reason.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    I new how to play, but most of my friends and the kids at school just traded, so i would trade for the star cards at school but then i'd battle my little brother at home.
    Lunch usually ended before a battle ended so we hardly battled..

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    I collect for play. I don't have anyone to show them to, and my money would otherwise be much better spent on video games.

Or should I say, "I used to", before they introduced all this new crap.

What new crap? It's the same game, except a few new cards.

Saturday I got two Scythers, same card. One was flashy, the other was normal.
    I never really did like the flashy cards when they came out with them. Leave the flashiness for the holographic background cards. That's what are good cards. Maybe I'm just old-timey...

You must be talking about the reverse- holo cards. Many collectors like those, as they're a completely new form of the same card- you can obtain holographic forms of cards normally not holographic, even Trainers. And I like them, too- it's an extra wildcard in every pack.

Years
    I could throw together my old deck which was Dark Based, and could totally lock out an opponent, but I've moved on to collecting-only.

But if I ever get my parents to gain the will to take me to an event, I will go, and play.

RyCario

RJC
    Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2010
    I had some back in kidnergarten. Blegh. We used to get into fights on the playground over them...

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2009
    Back when they were first released, I collected them for show, then after a while I got into battling. Then there was a period where I just had them packed away before I started collecting again. I have no one around here to battle, so I just have them for show.

Cid

Years
    Haha, reading the title of this thread made me laugh.

Anyway, I used to not know how to play the TCG, and only collected them.
    Then a friend of mine asked me if we could battle, and from then on I knew.

Back