• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you agree that "Fairy" types should've been dubbed "Light?"

Do you like it to be called Fairy or Light?

• Fairy

Votes: 90 75.0%
  • Light

Votes: 30 25.0%

• Total voters

Monster Guy

The Best Possible Thing!
Years
  • No! Fairy is great name for the type, and the Pokemon under it. If you think it's girly, then that's your problem.

Personally, I think the name Dragon is too masculine. It should be the Monster type.*

*That was a joke people!

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • If you really know what fairies are all about in mythology, you'll realize that while they tend to be cute and cuddly, they can also be much more dark and powerful. A lot of people are saying the fairy type sounds too girly as if it's a bad thing. Last time I checked women are allowed to play and enjoy Pokemon too. They can also get jobs!

Talon Flare

Learning to break kayfabe
    Years
  • Light sounds better, Light vs Dark is more fitting than Fairy vs Dark. Yet again the Pokemon Company lets a children's card game company to use light. Probably they didn't wanted to steal Yu-Gi-Oh!'s Ideas, I mean Flying Types could had been Wind Type

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • The idea of dark as a justification for Light types really doesn't work since in Japan the type literally means Evil not Dark. So in regards to Japan I think Fairy and Evil makes perfect sense. I never liked the idea of a light type, just seemed silly to me. I think Fairy is way nicer.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • As we all know, Light can be interpreted literally (what your lamp produces) or kindness/goodness/counter to evil, which is exemplified in the Fairy-type in some ways. However, I really don't think you can call the Light-type the same as Fairy. Even in the side of Light that Fairy does cover, it isn't really even exemplified in Fairy-type moves (e.g. Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam, Fairy Wind...).

Because of that, I think Light could still be done (after all, we do have both Flying and Ground), and it would include both kinds of light that I mentioned above. Many people often argue that Dark is Evil in Japanese, but it still covers both the absence of light (Dark Pulse, for example) and evil/naughty actions (Thief). GF would probably never do it, but it's still one of the few possibilities remaining.

A while back I also thought up the Solar-type which would cover Light completely without it being an actual opposite to Dark.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I believe there was a theory made that fighting was actually the so called "light type" because back in the ancient Chinese era, those were believed to be the heroes. I consider Fairies as more of Angels who are watching over those heroes. That's why they are stronger than them, dark types and the evil dragons. However, sometimes evil can be stronger than good, which is why it has the poison and steel weakness.

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
    Years
  • Not all fairies are girly and cute you know. Just look at Jorgen Von Strangle from Fairly Odd Parents.

Jorgen_von_Strangle.jpg

And also in many folklore , fairies are evil and scary. They're known to steal babies ,drown people, murder children ,seduce men, steal things ,and even enslaved humans. http://io9.com/the-biggest-reasons-why-fairies-are-evil-510180209 Fairies are only known as cute and girly cause of modern Disney movies with characters like Tinkerbell and other media that are aimed at girls that feature cute faiires.

Unfortunately , the closest Fairy type Pokemon that fits this description are Mawille and Klefki. Klefki being based on the Pagan tradition of blaming fairies for stealing small objects such as keys.

Don't forget bite people, pixies are said to suck blood.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I honestly think the Fairy type should have been called the Light or Magic type, primarily because of the fact that the word "fairy" is commonly associated with small winged creatures like Navi from Zelda. The closest we have to an actual "Fairy" Pokemon is the Flabebe family, being the smallest Pokemon to date, something commonly associated with faries (on that topic, why isn't Florges Fairy/Grass?).

JimRaz0r

JimRaz0r
    Years
  • Light would be a cool name for it but honestly I think I've grown into the fairy type now and am okay with it.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • Well the only thing naming that type light it would have made gardevoir being based on a paladin make more sense

Gible

Y L I E S S E
    Years
  • I don't mind Fairy type but mostly because I feel Light type could be too easily fused together with electric types seeing as electricity creates light.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • Ugh, the whole "light vs. dark" them is so overdone, it's not even funny. I can't be happier that there isn't a light type, and I hope it stays that way.

You people are throwing the word "girly" around like it's a bad thing. I'm feminine and proud of it.

Years
  • When I was a kid (this was back before gen III) I used to imagine/create my own Pokemon stuff including two new types, the first one was "Light" type and the other one was "Atomic"...

Years
  • Light sounds weird, Fairy sounds better in my opinion.
    Just hearing that word "fairy" makes me think it's evil, and that's good, at least for me.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I like it that they called them Fairy Pokemon. Crush the idea that fairies are cute and pink and girl's things - show children that they are powerful enough to take down dragons.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Meh, the name of the type isn't as important as it's functions. However, I think Fairy is an appropriate name for the type. If it was named 'Light' or 'Magic', I suggest that we wouldn't have had the same Pokemon retyped (e.g Azumarill) as we have now.

Back