• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you agree that "Fairy" types should've been dubbed "Light?"

Do you like it to be called Fairy or Light?

• Fairy

Votes: 90 75.0%
  • Light

Votes: 30 25.0%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I did think it was a bit, well, girlish but I wasn't to bothered. After seeing the fairy types released in X&Y I think the title suits them to a t! But I will argue, Snubbul/Granbull a fairy? Not for me.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Light = Electromagnetic Wave = Fire and Electric Types. Those already exist.

A light type emits light - Oh, like a Lanturn emits light from its antenna? Or a Charizard from his Fire Tail?

Light type is redundant.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Light = Electromagnetic Wave = Fire and Electric Types. Those already exist.

A light type emits light - Oh, like a Lanturn emits light from its antenna? Or a Charizard from his Fire Tail?

Light type is redundant.

Agreed. Also, Light, in my opinion, is too specific, too narrow to be used to create a new typing. Fairy is more varied and more diverse.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Light sounds way better. Light beats dark. It makes much more sense than fairy.

Not necessarily. Does Light beat Fighting and Dragon too? Is it overpowered by Poison or Steel?

Fighting beats Dark. And so does Bug. Does that mean that we should reclassify either of those types as "Light"?

Plus, Fairy represents an actual tangible concept. Its a mythological creature, like Dragon. And, therefore, its something that can be as versatile in actually coming up with different designs as Dragon.

I think people are more resistant because they associate fairies with "girly" things. And that would make sense if not for the fact that trolls, gnomes, elves, and banshees have all been deemed as "fairies" by different tellings of mythology and lore.

Maybe one day they will make a Light type, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a completely different concept from "Fairy."

Years
  • We have already had 'Dragon' for the longest time, it's about time we have 'Fairy'.
    . . . Is it not that, often, 'Faeries' and 'Dragons' exist in the same tales?

Back