• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you agree that "Fairy" types should've been dubbed "Light?"

Do you like it to be called Fairy or Light?

• Fairy

Votes: 90 75.0%
  • Light

Votes: 30 25.0%

• Total voters

GoldenHouou

Abstract Nonsense
Years
  • People can ♥♥♥♥♥ about wanting Light vs Dark all day long, but that doesn't change the fact that it could have never happened; the Dark type is not called Dark in Japanese, hence no need for a Light type to go alongside with it.

That, and fairies encompass more than just your average tooth fairy, you know. They can be pretty badass in various countries' mythologies, be their name girly or not. Seriously, what's the big deal?

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    My manhood is not threatened by using Fairy type pokemon.

Honestly, I couldn't care less what the type is named, just so long as it makes some sort of sense, and Fairy does make some sort of sense, so that's that.

Years
  • I'm not gonna actually vote as I think they are both fine. Yes, I think Light DID sound much more cooler (I now love Fairy types, but when I first heard of them I was like "ew" lol) but... I think its fine how it worked out. Anyways, its just a title, haha. ;)

Years
  • Light is too general. If that had been the name of the new type, many more Pokemon would have acquired a new dual typing like Marill, Mawile and many others did in X and Y. Fairy seems more like a Pokemon type, to me at least, and fits the criteria they were looking for. Something that contrasts heavily with dragons, which I am assuming was their main purpose in creating this new type.

27thColt

The Collector
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    I was never actually fond of the idea of the light type. It would just seem majestic therefore only few pokemon would have it, (like Arceus?). Fairy would fit it better in my opinion. About saying that is sounded feminine, well I like that really. Just makes it unique.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • I enjoy the idea of sweeping teams with cute girly magical creatures. Light sounds too mighty to me, makes it less funny.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Nnnope. Fairy makes far more sense.

Cause yeah I don't think it's confirmed, but their namesake is assumed to be a play on 'Fairy Tales'. In fairy tales the bad guys are usually dragons, or they have to face off dragons at some point, yes? Well in said fairy tales, the dragons are almost always defeated. So that's where the type advantage ends up making sense.

Light type wouldn't exactly match this play on words well and I'd end up wondering why they have the advantage over Dragons then. Because light isn't exactly something that correlates with dragons as far as I know.

Hoenn_Waters

Is patiently waiting for ORAS
    Years
  • Light is such an overused type. In shows it's so annoying to have some character embodied with Light because we all know it's going to be the most powerful character. Because in real life, light always beats darkness right? I love how Dark types in Pokemon don't show that they're evil, it's just a type.

Years
  • Personally I like Fairy, I wasn't aware of all the background behind fairies but after reading a lot of the comments here the logic behind choosing "Fairy" makes sense :) With regards to Light I don't think it's concise enough in terms of deciphering what it would be weak to; what Pokémon would fall into that category and even its definition, as in whether Light is referring to an almost weightless Pokémon or if it's supposed to oppose Dark and be benevolent or what lol :)

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    Light pretty much embody what Fairy types are anyways. Fairy sounds pretty lame to me. I can't help but imagine those big powerful Dragons being reduced into a child's plaything by Fairies. At least Light would've sound 100000x better. It'd probably make Fairy Pokemon sound more majestic and a reason why Dragons should fear them.

Fairy sounds pretty Badass to me... since they are talking about THIS sort of fairy
    HELLBOYFairies.jpg

and this:
    wc162.gif

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    madoka-1.png

Kyubey would like to have a word with you.

In all seriousness, though, it's stuff like Madoka and Touhou that justify Fairy-types being strong forces in my mind.

oh and speaking of Madoka... personally I consider theme of Charlotte the witch( Wo Ist die Kase?) to be a theme of Faeries ( and Fairy type in pokemon) ... because it sounds cute BUT at the same time it sounds hauting and spooky... which is what Faeries are all about... CUTE AND DEADLY!

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • I wasn't too turned on by the term "Fairy types" either, to be honest. Now that I actually play X/Y though, I think Fairy embodies the type nicely and to me, the Fairy type Pokemon actually seem more....."Fairy-esque" than "Light", if that makes any sense.

RandomHype

Explosive Explosion
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    Well, there was a "light" subset in the TCG, but only Dark became an actual type
    Yet again, clefairy was already a fairy type according to the pokedex.

They were both debately at an even chance.

Years
    • Age 42
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I thought Fairy sounded a bit silly and "Tinkerbellish" at first, but I've gotten used to it. I think it's a fine name.

Jolteon Dan

Electric Boogaloo
    Years
  • I don't mind Fairy type but mostly because I feel Light type could be too easily fused together with electric types seeing as electricity creates light.

I agree with this and would also like to add that Fairy helped reduce the plethora of pure normal types that were out there previously, at least somewhat. I don't think the name being called Light would've been able to do that as well.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • Fairy is FAR more Pokemon-like than "Light".

This is because of the fact that the idea of fairy pokemons has been there from the very
    beginning, specifically though Clefairy & Clefable.

Then in the 2nd gen, they introduced pokemon breeding & the different egg groups,
    one of which was the fairy egg group.

What I think happened is that when they decided to make a new type to try to balance
    out the type chart, they decided on Fairy because like some people here already pointed out,
    there are stories of dragon & other evil beings felled by the magic of fairies & because
    of the fairy egg group, they already had a general idea of which of the older pokemons would
    become the Fairy-type, which made things MUCH simpler than trying to create something
    brand new.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I prefer fairy myself, it's a good name to describe most of the Pokemon of the type. I was thinking to myself if magic was a more appropriate name, but then it wouldn't make sense for Azumarill to be magic, and Delphox is a psychic type who would've fit the "magic-type". Overall, I'm satisfied with fairy.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I think if it was considered to be a light type, then both Dark and Light would be weak against each other, but what would light be also weak against? The light type might've well have been the Ghost/Dark type, with no weakness until the Fairy type came along.

Back