• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you prefer to watch Anime in Japanese with English subs or in English?

Years
  • It depends. I would prefer to watch the dub, as it it usually shown on television. I don't like watching subs (on the computer, at least) because it strains my eyes too much. @_@

Since English is my first language, I would rather watch it dubbed than subbed. In my opinion, some anime have been dubbed pretty well. Examples of such? Nerima Daikon Brothers, Cowboy Bebop, Funimation One Piece, Super GALS!, Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note....the list goes on and on! And to think Nerima Daikon Brothers was dubbed down to every last song (with the exception of the Prime Minister's BGM), and pulled off pretty dang well imo.

so yeah. More oft then not, Dub > Sub.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • It depends on the anime for me. If the English dub sounds alright, then I'll watch it in English. But I find that most anime sound better with the original Japanese VAs so I tend to watch it RAW (even though I barely understand half of it) or with English Subs.

Trainer Kat

→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;
    Years
  • The best dub imo is Death Note, it's done quite well, although i still watched it subbed.

It's pretty good. L's voice made me cringe the first time I heard it though [and I don't like Light. Raito sounds much better imo.]

But honestly, like everyone else has said, it depends on the show. Take something like Gantz- they keep the original names, plus the voices are really well done and fit quite well. However, every so often you get something horrible, like Shido's voice in Getbackers [he has a lisp. x.x]

mega-dark

In a alternate universe
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Huh?
    • Seen Sep 5, 2010
    What trainer Kat said, some animes are good in dubs and some are not. Gundam Seed, WORST DUB EVER! And I like Gundam. >_<

Galla

Pokemon Artist
    Years
  • The Dub... I know it's a tad silly but after reading all that coursework for college, I just wanna kick back and relax - NOT read more! :P

But there are some scenes which dubbers cut out and I'll go and rewatch the subbed version of the same episode just for a particular scene (namely Yami Bakura eating steak in Yu-Gi-Oh! Simply adore that scene!)

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I try to avoid Raws, since it's guess work on my part trying to figure out what they're saying (though in some cases I have no choice). But I've seen dubs and subtitled Japanese versions. It really depends on the Anime, and which version I see first (which sadly is probably true for a majority of people here, whether they admit it or not).

The Dub... I know it's a tad silly but after reading all that coursework for college, I just wanna kick back and relax - NOT read more! :P

Sadly, a good majority of Anime fans are the exact same way. It doesn't matter the reason, they simply don't like spending a half hour or so reading lines of dialogue (flashbacks to customers at my work ensue). I'm not arguing that Subs are usually superior to Dubs, but that's just the way alot of people are.

PB.

'PB
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    I prefer to watch I dubbed if it's dubbed well, otherwise I prefer the subtitles.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Japanese with English subs, sweetie. It makes it cooler in my opinion, and it helps me to take the show a little more seriously, sweeties. XD

SilverTail

Noble Warrior of Woodsclan
    Years
  • I enjoy watching bolth, however, when they change the voices suddenly in the english versions to unbelievably rediculous voices (as with one piece....) it dose get a tad bit hard to watch *hasnt watched one piece since*

I do admit though, watching the non-watered-down japanese version yeilds much better truthfulness to the storylines.

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    I prefer english with no subs, but there are some things that i hate what they change, like in bleach, kon is looking up rukia's skirt, japanese he says "nice angle im glad im a stuffed animal" and english he says me and ichigo were talking about my name, lol.

Back