• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you spoil your Starter?

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    I noticed that when I play Pokemon games, all the way from Red Version to Soul Silver, that I spoil my Starter Pokemon. The majority of the time my Battle Style is on "Set" and my Starter is doing all the fighting. My Starter usually gets all the good items used on it, all the haircuts, all the massages, and all the ribbons. I usually only raise it which is why its around LV. 40 by the time I'm nearing the 3rd gym. I don't let it faint, I actually do scurry to the nearest Pokemon Center when its low on health. Lol.

So my question is, do any of you show a little or a lot of favoritism when it comes to your Starter Pokemon?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My starter is usually the highest level Pokemon on my team, but that's about it. On my trio-species run on Ruby though, I've got a level 31 Combusken holding an Exp. Share and getting all the vitamins and I just got to Mauville, lol. So he's being spoiled until I can get my next team member.

the :D

<- heracross ftw!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2012
    almost always.

except yellow, my starter got all the good treatment.

especially silver -- I remember taking out red with a level 80 feraligatr and level 40 everything else (legendaries caught with the power/off glitch master balls :D).

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Not at all. Once I catch the other five pokemon I intend to take to the E4, I become real anal about all of them being within two levels of eachother and I don't give any of them preferential treatment. :P

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I try to make my starter Pokemon at least 2 levels higher than the rest of my Pokemon.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • I tend to keep them all even and sometimes I box my starter and and get a pokemon I like better of the same type I.E if I choose Torchic I might box it and catch a Numel or Torkoal

Sapeiro

Random Trainer
    Years
  • When I started playing, I tried to have my starter between 3 and 5 levels higher than the rest of my team.

Now, I only spoil it (in a way), on my first playthrough of a region; since starters tend to be able to hold their own throughout the game, and I like to try and train several wild pokémon before I choose a proper team.

Guest123_x1

I used to spoil Pikachu when I first started playing Pokémon Yellow. But then after my game got erased, and as I acquired other versions, I no longer did this with any of my starters.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I used to, with my Swampert in my first Sapphire playthrough (up to the point when it got up to level 100). I don't spoil my starters as often as I used to anymore, though they're still usually the highest leveled Pokemon I have on the team.

Years
  • I used to spoil Pikachu when I first started playing Pokémon Yellow. But then after my game got erased, and as I acquired other versions, I no longer did this with any of my starters.

The same here. In fact, sometimes I don't even keep my starter in the final team. ;x
    In real life I'd never do that, although.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I spoil them in the sense of the dirt they get covered in when I kick them away.
    I prefer not to use starters, they feel overpowered and too unique.

I do tend to favour one given Pokemon, though. Raising them all evenly is effortful.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    I just box my starter as soon as I catch one Pokemon. Starters are too powerful and make the game too easy. Also it's no fun to use a Pokemon that you know 1/3 of all people use on the same game.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • If by spoil, you mean throw into the PC when I get better pokemon, then yes I spoil them..... XD

Unless I'm playing through the game for the first time, then that's what I do. But when I get Pokemon White and start with Smugleaf, he or she will stay on my team the whole time. :D

FilbertTheFox

.:Welcome to Reality:. (>o.O)>
    Years
  • For the first few badges i do simply because in the first few towns there isn't any decent pokemon to make an addition to my team.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I always spoil my starter ABSOLUTELY ROTTEN!~ :3

If I choose to level anything up to level 100, My starter in that game MUST BE LEVELED TO 100 FIRST! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Though since Pokemon Ruby...I've always carried it's starter forward through the generations either through cloning or trading. I always trade it to my new version as soon as I can use it. (It's a level 100 Swampert so I've gotta collect the badges first.) :3

Really aside from leveling pokemon to 100 the old fashioned way, I don't do much else...because I think that EV training is a pain in the neck.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Not really. If anything, I'll spoil the second Pokemon I get, more often (usually being a bird Pokemon). My starters only really got attention on R/S because for some reason I decided to raise all starters to level 100 for some strange reason.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Nah, I like my team being balanced. I just don;t like waiting to get the POkemon I want on my team as they are further in the game *pokes Johto, and possibly Isshu, not sure yet* It makes my starter way ahead of the rest. Well not really, I had my Chikorita at 10 while the other Pokemon I would then catchg would be at like 4 - 6.

hack1

Dragon Green
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2015
    In Emerald and Leaf Green I did. Not anymore. Sometimes I even thow my starter to box and never take it away. But not usually.

Back