• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dots's Sprite Showcase! ^^

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
Years
  • If the region's name would be:-
    Kawaiine

It would nice
    Meaning:-
    Kawaiine - Extreme cuteness (In Jap.)

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    If the region's name would be:-
    Kawaiine

It would nice

Hey I like that, but I probably won't be using it exactly as you wrote it. I'll likely be changing it a bit to make it sound more fitting with the other regions.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it's been helpful! ^^

Years
  • Hmm ... So I've got to move Larpau's head back a bit, fix the inconsistency in the outlining, make the bottom rounder to avoid the 2D look, and give it antennae?
    You don't have to do any of those things. They're just one person's opinion. You should just consider them and see if they would work with your sprite. They might not. Personally, I wouldn't move the head because I don't see anything wrong with where it is, and I wouldn't want a caterpie clone.

If the region's name would be:-
    Kawaiine

It would nice
    That's not what is means, btw. Kawaii is an adjective that means 'cute' and ne is hard to define so here's a dictionary definition:
    (sentence end) indicates emphasis, agreement, request for confirmation, etc.; is it so;

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    You don't have to do any of those things. They're just one person's opinion. You should just consider them and see if they would work with your sprite. They might not. Personally, I wouldn't move the head because I don't see anything wrong with where it is, and I wouldn't want a caterpie clone.

I know I don't have to, but when the advice comes from a good spriter, it helps to follow their instructions to some degree in order to get a good result.

Following your advice from yesterday, I fixed the things you pointed out. There was a drastic change, and I think he looks a lot better right now.

--->

(Old | New)

As you can see, there's an improvement. It's not a Caterpie clone either. What I did was move the head back a pixel and resprite the front, in addition to simplifying the shading and fixing the outline. I chose not to add antennae either, since I like the sprite the way is now. ^^

Oh and thanks for giving the correct definition! ^^

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    They're really nice. My only real criticism would be that they're all small, but I can understand why. Some of the best that I've seen in a while.

Thanks for the compliment. ^^ Also, as you already know, they're still non-evolved pokemon and a baby ones, with the exception of Scrabbit, who is supposed to be small in size. Eventually, I'll be spriting the evolutions. ^^

Updates!

My grass starter's concept has been finalized and I completely re-sprited it, making sure its orientation is correct. I also opened her eyes, so instead of a (^_^) face it now has a (._.) face, which I find way cuter and less confusing. xD

Onwards with the sprite ... !

--->

(Old | New)

While it's true that it's a bit simple,
    it's evolutions offer a lot of detail, and are, until now, my favorite concepts. ^^ Also, since no one suggested any good names for this little guy, I racked my brain hard and came up with names for the whole evolution line. This fellow is Cleri, which evolves into Cloble and depending on it's gender, evolves into either Clorince (Male) or Clorincess (Female).

Name origins:

* Cleri - Play on the word 'Clover'.
    * Cloble - Clover + Noble
    * Clorince / Clorincess - Clover + Prince / Princess.

And that's it for them.

I've decided to scrap the idea of a Tauros / Miltank baby since I've decided that those two aren't included in my region. The entry is going to be removed from the main post, but I'm reposting it here for the archive.

# - REMOVED FROM POKÉDEX
    Normal

(Male | Female)
    Calf Pokémon
    - ??? (Male) ---> Tauros -
    - ??? (Female) ---> Miltank -
    ~
    Cloaked in soft thick fur for warmth, ??? stick to their parents as long as they can until
    they mature. They are very innocent and believe whatever they are told, whether by
    their parents or humans.

Also, since no one seems to be voting (I've only got two votes up to now), I've decided to choose between them.
    From the suggested three, only the second one looks fine (Red - Blue - Green) since the yellow and cyan stick out too much. The original one (Purple - Green - Blue) also made it to the semi finals. Now I've done my research on pokemon items and noticed that one thing ties them: All of the items are vibrantly colored and seem to be a direct representation of what they're supposed to be. Color plays an important role here, and I've decided to go with the one that portrays the idea better.

The chosen incense is ...

(Blue - Red - Green)

Even though I liked the original one more, this one seems to fit in more with the common style, and represents a rainbow better than the original version.

And that's it for this update guys! I'd love to know what you think of the revamped grass starter, so don't hesitate of expressing your opinion! Go ahead with all criticism and feedback you've got. xD

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    The new Cleri is awesome, really good, but I liked the old one's clover pattern on it's face... just my opinion though!

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    The new Cleri is awesome, really good, but I liked the old one's clover pattern on it's face... just my opinion though!

I'm thinking of bringing back the clover pattern, it's just that I'm too tired to do so today. Thanks for your compliment. ^^

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    The new Cleri looks like it belongs on the overworld of your generic RPG Maker XP, just the angle it's on. It's still great, though.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • hm... I like names... o.o For the Scmeargle/Scrabbit prevo what about something like... Doodlaby or Doodly... something revolving around Doodles, since that's all I can think of that could become Smear or Scribble... Oh, or maybe something like Abstreak (Abstract + streak)) oh, oh, or something like Crafant (Craft + Infant) o_O yea... I definitely just got too excited...

Years
  • It looks less evil now. The collar gives it a little more character, too, but the clover design was interesting. What happened to it?

Wouldn't the ribbons/sprouts/whatever on its head be lower on the right side since that whole side is lower/closer looking?

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    The new Cleri looks like it belongs on the overworld of your generic RPG Maker XP, just the angle it's on. It's still great, though.

Hm ... can you elaborate, please? I don't seem to understand what you meant there.

Loving the work Dots, if you need any help with ya game feel free to ask

Thanks! I'll be sure to remember that. ^^

hm... I like names... o.o For the Scmeargle/Scrabbit prevo what about something like... Doodlaby or Doodly... something revolving around Doodles, since that's all I can think of that could become Smear or Scribble... Oh, or maybe something like Abstreak (Abstract + streak)) oh, oh, or something like Crafant (Craft + Infant) o_O yea... I definitely just got too excited...

Doodlaby, Abstreak, and Crafant are a bit hard to say in addition to being too long for a baby pokemon. Doodly is too simple.

I appreciate your help, and I'd like to get more suggestions from you. ^^

It looks less evil now. The collar gives it a little more character, too, but the clover design was interesting. What happened to it?

Wouldn't the ribbons/sprouts/whatever on its head be lower on the right side since that whole side is lower/closer looking?

Yup, I like the collar too, and the fact that people don't find it evil anymore. xD

And like I mentioned in one of the posts above, I was just too tired to place it there yesterday, and now that I look at my update post, I think I also forgot to mention that. ^^'

Here's the updated Cleri with the pattern on it's face. ^^

--->

(Pattern Added)

Also, like Scarf suggested, I've brought the ribbons/sprouts on our right down a few pixels, so does it look any better now?

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
    Years
  • Your spriting is quite good. The only criticism I have is to up the size of your sprites. For the next sprite maybe have a guide official sprite next to the one your creating. This may help to get proportions right =)

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Your spriting is quite good. The only criticism I have is to up the size of your sprites. For the next sprite maybe have a guide official sprite next to the one your creating. This may help to get proportions right =)

I already do so. ^^

And all of those, as you noticed, are either unevolved or baby pokemon, with the exception of Scrabbit and the Pierrollon line. I'm revamping all of those before moving on to my other concepts.

Darkrailuver

I'm baaaack!
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2010
    Wow, your sprites are really good! They look like they could actually be in one of the games! :)
    Keep up the good work!

Back