• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dots's Sprite Showcase! ^^

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Hm... I'm gonna have to say:
    Kissedy. =3

Okay then, that's one vote. ^^

The thing that's really bothering me is the placement of the clover pattern on her face, in contrast to her eyes. It's very... asymmetrical.

I think it'd look better should the eyes be moved upwards more, more towards the center of the clover pattern, where the top 2 leaves meet the bottom 2. (Just using clover pattern as a description, not sure what you're aiming for)

However, with the current eye placement, it could just be the fact the head is designed to look as though the sprite is facing forward. With those eyes, the head would be much better if it were "tilted" as if the sprite were looking slightly to our left. Look at Cleri, it's head is smaller, and it's slightly angled to it's right, thus, making it look at though it's looking that way. Whereas this sprite is looking to the left, but it's head is pointed forward.

I still don't get something, and that's the fact that others seem to think it's facing forward. Zooming into the sprite would show you that the head is tilted, although not as much as Cleri's head is, and I think that constitutes to being the confusing factor. Maybe it's because of the shading on the head, if that's the issue, I could fix it, but I honestly can't fix something I can't see in the sprite itself. I think that if someone can show me by use of examples (since I've already got two posts about this issue), I'll get it faster, as right now I'm feeling bewildered.

I'll also revise the sprite tomorrow, since my mind really feels cloudy today. Thanks for the input Myzou, I really appreciate the criticism and feedback in your post. ^^

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2010
    I'd do the Jynx evo (needs a new name, because it doesn't go with the whole evo line, Smoochum,Jynx)but that's my opinion.
    And also Cloble's head in my opinion just looks like Cleri's original sprite stuck on.
    My advice would be to change Cloble's left eye as it looks wierd.

^Sorry for the negagtivitiy but I hope it helps

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    I'd do the Jynx evo (needs a new name, because it doesn't go with the whole evo line, Smoochum,Jynx)but that's my opinion.
    And also Cloble's head in my opinion just looks like Cleri's original sprite stuck on.
    My advice would be to change Cloble's left eye as it looks wierd.

^Sorry for the negagtivitiy but I hope it helps

So I'll be starting on Kissedy then. (It's in bold to catch people's attention!)

Needs a new name, huh? Let's see : -

We've got the baby, Smoochum ~ the name probably comes from the words 'smooch', meaning a kiss, and 'chum' as in friend. Another possibility is a play on the phrase "Smooch 'Em", which, in other words, means 'kiss them'.
    ... And we've got the evolution, Jynx ~ there's no name origin, as Jynx is a proper word, not a name. It means bad luck, or a hex/curse, which might be a reference to its poor luck at finding a love possibly due to its looks (as far as I know, there's no official reason, so this is just what I believe to be the reason).

Finally, there's the name I chose for the second evolution in this line, Kissedy ~ the names comes from the two words 'kiss' and 'lady' (referencing to it's good looks after evolution); however, the 'a' in 'Kissady' which changed to an 'e' to make it flow well when spoken. I just noticed that it contains the verb 'kissed' which might lead to pronunciation confusion.
    Just to clear this matter up, the name is pronounced as 'kiss - addy'.

Onto the next issue now, which I seem to be hearing a lot. Cloble looks too similar to Cleri in terms of face expression. My answer to this: they happen to be related. O.o The designs for those particular concepts belonging to this evolutionary line all happen to have large, round red eyes and a small smile. I know you're trying to help, but I love Cloble's design came out after it was sprited and I don't want to change the concept itself after getting attached to it.

Anyways, for the others, I'd love to hear feedback on any sprite I have, and I'm all ears to anyone who is willing to explain the matter with the pattern on Cloble's face, which I can't seem to get without a visual example. Thanks to everyone for your help until now, I really appreciate how your feedback and criticism has made me into a better experienced spriter, and I'm going to keep practicing until I become one of the best. ^^

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2010
    I'm gonna try to show u what I mean with Cloble's head.

As you can see I've used Cleri's head to show you how the clover should face,i then used the right eye as the left eye and moved the mouth.
    Hopefully you see what i mean.

I thought of another name for KISSEDY,
    How about.... Pryncice

Last edited:

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    I'm gonna try to show u what I mean with Cloble's head.

As you can see I've used Cleri's head to show you how the clover should face,i then used the right eye as the left eye and moved the mouth.
    Hopefully you see what i mean.

I thought of another name for KISSEDY,
    How about.... Pryncice

Thanks for finally clarifying what the problem was! Now, since I finally see what the 'problem' you guys were talking about is, I can finally answer. ^^
    I think you guys got a little confused after seeing those two sprites in succession. Even though they look like they might, Cleri and Cloble have differently angled heads, which explains the pattern placement and how the head looks smaller than it is supposed to be. I would've responded with this explanation earlier if I had know that this was the misunderstanding. We can finally end this issue now. ^^

I like how you played on the words, but I have to say I find it a cold and distant name, unfitting for the concept I had in mind. Also, I already have Clorincess, which uses the word 'princess' in her name. Having another pokemon with a similarly structured name would just reflect back lazily.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • Oh, I understand they have differently angled heads.

However, the clover pattern on her head is facing forward, whereas her eyes say she's looking towards her right side.

The eyes and the pattern are completely off. XD It looks like the eyes are on the side of her head the way it's done.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Oh, I understand they have differently angled heads.

However, the clover pattern on her head is facing forward, whereas her eyes say she's looking towards her right side.

The eyes and the pattern are completely off. XD It looks like the eyes are on the side of her head the way it's done.

The clover patten is facing forward? I thought I made it so that is would looks as if, along with the entire head, it is slightly facing the left side, where the enemy is situated. I think the problem is with the eyes, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with them since I like the way they're positioned and the implication they give. Suggestions on this?

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    ~ Update ~

So, I've had some time and I was sort of bored, and I had a change of plans. I was in the mood of making something small and cute, so this update doesn't have Kissedy. It has my duckling fakemon, which will late evolve into a duck/goose one. Yay~

So here it is:

I don't know what do to about it, since I don't like how the sprite came out. It's too monotonous for me and I keep finding it too simple to fit with the official style. Help, please?
    Any suggestions on color schemes or markings would be taken into consideration and appreciated, also, feel free to point out any flaws in the sprite itself so that I could fit it. And here's your chance for a custom sprite, since this fakemon has no name (it's going to be Water/Flying, and it's based of a duckling).
    I don't know if this will even make it into the dex, so I didn't bother with the entry. Once I decide on a design and feel satisfied with the sprite, I'll be adding it to the first post. I hope I'll be seeing some helpful feedback soon! ^^

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2010
    I like it, but i think it looks like a Egg with wings :D
    I would suggest looking at existing sprites such as;
    Pidgey and Psyduck to get a nice body shape and well proportioned features;
    it's beak is way to small and the colours are to light.
    Take Pidgey's sprite for example, it's got quite a thin head then gets plumper as it gets to the body and then thins out again.
    But this just goes from fat to thin without a nice gradual change.

Hope that will help you :D

KejiBebi

aishiteru
    Years
  • I really like Scrabbit and Chrysil
    Both are so adorable. ^^And you really did a good job with all of them. I don't have the patience to do sprites so I applaud you for these. =3

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • Hm, due to it's color scheme... I'd imagine it could be a dirty duckling/ugly duckling. The brown could represent muddiness and it could live in ponds. That being said, it's current appearance doesn't really look like it could even swim to begin with. You could make it where the feet are heading back(?) so it looks like it's swimming and maybe do a little to it's head. A ring around it's non-existent neck would also add more character to the sprite. I'd suggest using something such as Farfetch'd and Starly as bases on its design. OR you could keep it's shape and inspire it's design more on a floatation device or Buoy.

Years
  • Most birds have some kind of visible plumage on their heads even if it's small. The ugly duckling's head seems very plain and the sprite as a whole is very smooth for a bird. Water fowl have slick, smooth bodies, I know, but a little bit of color or some extra design element (like feathers) could help make you like it more.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    I like it, but i think it looks like a Egg with wings :D
    I would suggest looking at existing sprites such as;
    Pidgey and Psyduck to get a nice body shape and well proportioned features;
    it's beak is way to small and the colours are to light.
    Take Pidgey's sprite for example, it's got quite a thin head then gets plumper as it gets to the body and then thins out again.
    But this just goes from fat to thin without a nice gradual change.

Hope that will help you :D

Part of the design was to have it slightly shaped like an egg, more or less to differentiate between it and the region's bird. Also, I did use Psyduck as reference for a few elements of the design.

I really like Scrabbit and Chrysil
    Both are so adorable. ^^And you really did a good job with all of them. I don't have the patience to do sprites so I applaud you for these. =3

Thank you. ^^ And I'm sure that with both practice and patience, anyone can make sprites similar to these. ^^

Hm, due to it's color scheme... I'd imagine it could be a dirty duckling/ugly duckling. The brown could represent muddiness and it could live in ponds. That being said, it's current appearance doesn't really look like it could even swim to begin with. You could make it where the feet are heading back(?) so it looks like it's swimming and maybe do a little to it's head. A ring around it's non-existent neck would also add more character to the sprite. I'd suggest using something such as Farfetch'd and Starly as bases on its design. OR you could keep it's shape and inspire it's design more on a floatation device or Buoy.

Well, ducklings tend to have a more brown inclined color scheme. I'll look through some more references and see if I can spruce it up from that angle. I also guess I'll be working on the wings to make them more like wings than flippers, and I like the idea of a ring around it's next, especially since the evolution has two around his neck too.
    I like the idea of using a flotation device for inspiration and see what I can do. ^^

Most birds have some kind of visible plumage on their heads even if it's small. The ugly duckling's head seems very plain and the sprite as a whole is very smooth for a bird. Water fowl have slick, smooth bodies, I know, but a little bit of color or some extra design element (like feathers) could help make you like it more.

Hm ... You're right. I was completely oblivious to that, so I'll probably be taking your advice and adding more details to it. And I guess color plays an important role with presentation, since everyone mistook the little guy for an ugly duckling. xD
    I'll see what I can do when I find that I have some free time. ^^

Thanks for the criticism everyone! I'll look over the sprite when I have some free time and try to improve it based on your suggestions. I really appreciate the efforts you put into helping me with this. ^^

~ Later that day ... Update! ~

And I've worked on it all right! I actually love it now, even those the changes weren't that heavy on the sprite. It seems to have some more character now, and I like how the colors came out similar to a real duckling's. Pokedex info is on the way!

~ A New Entry has been Added to the Pokédex! ~

#??? - ???
    Water/Flying

Duckling Pokémon
    ~ ??? --Level 20-> ??? ~
    Due to it's frail body structure and seemingly inability to master
    wading in ponds and lakes, this POKÉMON's body has developed in
    a way to support it's buoyancy by acting as a flotation device. It
    is commonly seen playing games with other water POKÉMON to
    pass the time in an enjoyable manner.

What do you think guys? I'd like to hear from you and receive feedback and criticism to become better at this sort of thing. Feel free to point out any issues or flaws you find in the sprite. ^^

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2010
    Looks way better :D
    Any more ideas on what your gonna do next??
    Maybe a Farfetch'd Evo...
    Talking about Farfetch'd the above pokemon looks like a pre evo :D

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Looks way better :D
    Any more ideas on what your gonna do next??
    Maybe a Farfetch'd Evo...
    Talking about Farfetch'd the above pokemon looks like a pre evo :D

Thanks! ^^ As an answer for your question, I'm probably spriting the evolution for this pokemon next.

Farfetch'd Evo ... ? Weren't there rumors about an evolution for him and Delibird?
    Okay, so my unnamed duckling seems to resemble Farfetch'd a little. That creeps me out in a way since I wasn't even thinking about Frarfetch'd when I made this fakemon. And I already have two normal-type baby pokemon, so a third one would be a little over the top.
    Right now there are chances of having a baby Psyduck or a male version Smoochum (named Snochum) which would probably evolve into a snowman-like pokemon.

By the way, the duckling is up for naming, if anyone cares to give a try.

~ Edit ~

Why did it seem like this got posted twice? O.o

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2010
    Hmm, the name for this 1 is hard :~
    Maybe:
    Farfowl (Farfetched and Fowl)
    Sparrowl (Sparrow and Fowl)
    Murkling (Murky and Duckling)
    Hawkling (Hawk and Duckling)
    Herrowl (Herring(or herron i dunno how to spell it) and Fowl)
    Chickling (Chick and Duckling)
    Cockerowl (Cockeral and Fowl)

PokemonSkySD

Credit to Dots for the Avatar
    Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2010
    Ok, so a Duckling. hmm. Which looks like an Egg, and has a ring.

Dringel - D from duck + Ring then el to add a smooth soung too it.

Back