• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

drinking age should be 18

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
Years
  • but then that means more and moreee teens would be out at bars, getting drunk, and that means.......

That more teen girls would be taken advantage of by jerks (That word isn't good enough, but censors won't allow anything else). It happens as it is, and it would happen even more if there were more underage drinkers. Especially since now, some teens know 21 year olds that will buy them alcohol, if 18 was the legal age to buy then even more would be able to get it.

Has anyone even said any good reasons why it should be lowered, besides "So I can get teh drunks now, lawlololol....."

>_<

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • i agree but because of the immaturity and stupidity of people here, the age is 21. it would be nice if they lowered it though and made some law that if your cought doing stupid **** while drunk you cant drinkt il your 21 or something like that. that would be nice.

Nah. Quite frankly, if you're caught doing stupid crud drunk at that age you should get a much more severe punishment. It's not severe enough because it's pretty damn hard to enforce that punishment, and sorry, but getting drunk is not okay, even for adults. Furthermore, 21 year olds are significantly more likely to be more physically and or mentally mature than an 18 year old.

The fact that 20-somethings go out, drink and drive and kill people makes me believe no. However, my feelings are more towards stricter laws regarding drinking itself, not necessarily the age. There are 30 year olds just as stupid as 18 year olds, and 18 year olds just as mature as 30 year olds. Hence, the age law is not the problem.

For example, should we have to forfeit our car keys once we enter the bar, then have "screeners" that judge if you're capable of driving? And if not, they keep your keys? Or, perhaps, have hired guardians keep an eye on you until you get home, where you're not allowed to leave? When does this infringe on freedom?

We've tried prohibition, and it doesn't work (I wouldn't want to ban it completely anyway - I enjoy my occasional beer or glass of wine!). What I do want is moderation. I would say I want less stupid people, but that ain't never gonna happen, so moderation it is (and I mean that in both less drinking per capita and having a watchful eye over drinkers).

See, I love Richard's point of view. If nobody got freaking DRUNK there wouldn't even be a problem with alcohol. They should find ways to crack down on people getting drunk, within reason of course.

My brain's been developed as much as I suspect it will be, since I was 17. I've drank occasionally since I was 13. Never had a problem with it. If you're old enough to DIE for your country, you should be old enough to get drunk. In My Opinion, that is.

Dying for your country is a noble sacrifice. Getting drunk is a burden to everyone around you, even to the point it can endanger lives.

Technically, 18 is the legal age buy alcohol. It is legal to drink at the age 5. As long as your parents buy you the drink and you are on your own premises (I think that due to a loop hole it can be beer gardens aswell) you can drink alcohol.
    Also 16-17 year olds can drink beer, wine or cider when having a meal out with the family, as long as they don't buy it themselves.

I'm sorry but I don't think that's how the actual law works. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure considering I work at a place that sells alcohol and I'm pretty sure they would not be happy if they for some reason thought you were buying it for an underage kid.

Has anyone even said any good reasons why it should be lowered, besides "So I can get teh drunks now, lawlololol....."

>_<

Nope. Kinda frustrating, isn't it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • That more teen girls would be taken advantage of by jerks (That word isn't good enough, but censors won't allow anything else). It happens as it is, and it would happen even more if there were more underage drinkers. Especially since now, some teens know 21 year olds that will buy them alcohol, if 18 was the legal age to buy then even more would be able to get it.

>_<

Good reason- lowering the drinking age means more people to market alcohol to, which means more consumption, thus more $ and a much greater profit.

Sonic65

welp
    Years
  • I think we should make the drinking age 1 so that babies can get drunk too, why are we discriminating against babies but adults? Come on, don't be an age-ist!
    Imagine coming home one day...finding your baby clutching a beer bottle. But then imagine, instead of having to call 911 and becoming worried about your baby's health, that you could just sit beside it and enjoy a cold beer after a long hard day at work? It's perfect family bonding!

And it even works for teenagers too! If they ever argue with you then just open a beer bottle and they'll be too drunk to even remember what they were angry about!

I SUPPORT EVERYBODY GETTING DRUNK

Disclaimer: Above is not a serious post, do not take it seriously, thanks for your cooperation

Love (XOXO),
    Sonic65

Last edited:

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • Good reason- lowering the drinking age means more people to market alcohol to, which means more consumption, thus more $ and a much greater profit.

The damage outweighs the benefits.....

As many people have pointed out, there are a lot of negative things about lowering the drinking age, and not many good ones. Maybe when I come back from dinner I will quote all the negative and positive effects so you can see them all at once.

Sonic65

welp
    Years
  • Good reason- lowering the drinking age means more people to market alcohol to, which means more consumption, thus more $ and a much greater profit.
    Money doesn't justify anything.

The only people this would benefit would be said alcohol companies. Although they're not necessarily bad and I'm sure the people working at them are generally good people like every other company, increased revenue for them doesn't offset the problems it would cause, which have already been outlined many times over in this topic. Unless you work at an alcohol company or something, in which case it makes sense.

Or if you meant more taxes for the government and more money for them, which is a much better reason...but not necessarily one I can agree with as being "good enough." But, to each their own.

So are there any other positive benefits, then?

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • Also, contrary to the OP, "most" people are not drinking before they're 21. It's a minority - a minority you hear about a lot, but a minority nonetheless.

Just gotta say, this is total BS. Obviously this kid hasn't been to too many parties.

And as for brain maturity and what not, whatever. If I'm old enough to be charged as an adult, I'm old enough to drink - and decide whether taking the risk is worth it.

Sonic65

welp
    Years
  • Just gotta say, this is total BS. Obviously this kid hasn't been to too many parties.
    By drinking I meant "drinking regularly," not "once or twice at a parties."

I mean, pretty much everyone's drank alcohol at some point by 16. Probably even much, much lower. But how many of those people still do it regularly (maybe going out of their way to do so)? Or become alcoholics before 21?

Years
  • Just gotta say, this is total BS. Obviously this kid hasn't been to too many parties.

And as for brain maturity and what not, whatever. If I'm old enough to be charged as an adult, I'm old enough to drink - and decide whether taking the risk is worth it.

I actually can rattle off over thirty people off the top of my head who have drank before 21. The majority of my senior class has, and even plenty of kids even younger than that. Thank you sir for that great post.

Money doesn't justify anything.

The only people this would benefit would be said alcohol companies. Although they're not necessarily bad and I'm sure the people working at them are generally good people like every other company, increased revenue for them doesn't offset the problems it would cause, which have already been outlined many times over in this topic. Unless you work at an alcohol company or something, in which case it makes sense.

Or if you meant more taxes for the government and more money for them, which is a much better reason...but not necessarily one I can agree with as being "good enough." But, to each their own.

So are there any other positive benefits, then?

but money will always be factor, Corporate greed will always win out in the long run. The extra taxes collected from increased liquor sales would go to state federal governments and would help out considerably.

Last edited:

Dawn

Years
  • And as for brain maturity and what not, whatever. If I'm old enough to be charged as an adult, I'm old enough to drink - and decide whether taking the risk is worth it.
    Hey! I totally agree. I mean if you want to decide whether taking the risk is worth it by all means, nobody has the right to stop you. Frankly, I wouldn't care. So long as you were not someone I knew on any sort of personal level, anyway. But, does that give you a good reason to down the age limit to 18? I don't think so.

but money will always be factor
    Maybe so, but it still doesn't justify anything.

Not really, it's actually kind of hilarious how one-sided it is.
    It's considerably harder to laugh once you've seen it not only happen a bunch of times but actually cause problems, due to human error, I guess. Sucks to be me.

I actually can rattle off over thirty people off the top of my head who have drank before 21. The majority of my senior class has, and even plenty of kids even younger than that. Thank you sir for that great post.

The below post was posted ...3 or so hours earlier...

By drinking I meant "drinking regularly," not "once or twice at a parties."

Just sayin'

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I'm sorry but I don't think that's how the actual law works. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure considering I work at a place that sells alcohol and I'm pretty sure they would not be happy if they for some reason thought you were buying it for an underage kid.

Drinking Age in the U.K.

under 5: may only be given alcohol on medical order
    5 and over: may consume alcohol, e.g. at home. It is only illegal for those aged 5-18 to drink alcohol on licensed premises (without meeting other licensing requirements)

under 14 : may not be present in the bar of licensed premises unless accompanied by a person over 28, it is before 9pm and a children
    14 and over : may be in the bar of licensed premises during permitted hours at licensee's discretion

under 16 : may be present in a restaraunt etc where alcohol is served with a meal and at the licensee's discretion may consume (but not purchase) alcohol bought by a parent or guardian

16 and over : may purchase beer, porter, cider, or perry with a meal in an eating area on licensed premises (In Scotland wine also)
    under 18 : may not purchase or be supplied with or consume alcohol in a bar

under 18 : police have powers to confiscate alcohol from under 18s drinking in public and to contact their parents

under 18 : Licensees and staff of licensed premises have a positive duty not to sell alcohol unless they are reasonably certain that the purchaser is not under the age of 18. The legal obstruction to test purchasing under the supervision of police or insperctors of weights and measures is removed.

16-18 : May not be employed in bar of a licensed premises, unless as part of a Modern Apprenticeship Scheme

Edited slightly to make sense on the forum (was a table that became screwed up when completely copypasted).

Dawn

Years
  • Well I suppose it would come as no surprise to me that I know little about the UKs drinking laws.

However, I'd like to see if I'm correct about the USAs drinking laws. For instance, here is Texas's underage drinking laws.

Minors who purchase, attempt to purchase, possess, or consume alcoholic beverages, as well as minors who are intoxicated in public or misrepresent their age to obtain alcoholic beverages, face the following consequences:

Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $500
    Alcohol awareness class
    8 to 40 hours community service
    30 to 180 days loss or denial of driver's license
    If a minor is seventeen years of age or older and the violation is the third offense, the offense is punishable by a fine of $250 to $2,000, confinement in jail for up to 180 days or both, as well as automatic driver's license suspension.

A minor with previous alcohol-related convictions will have his or her driver's license suspended for one year if the minor does not attend alcohol awareness training that has been required by the judge.

Penalties for Providing Alcohol to a Minor
    Adults and minors who give alcohol to a minor also face a stiff penalty. The punishment for making alcoholic beverages available to a minor is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $4,000, confinement in jail for up to a year, or both. Additionally, the violator will have his or her driver´s license automatically suspended for 180 days upon conviction.

Persons 21 or older (other than the parent or guardian) can be held liable for damages caused by intoxication of a minor under 18 if the adult knowingly provided alcoholic beverages to a minor or knowingly allowed the minor to be served or provided alcoholic beverages on the premises owned or leased by the adult.

Sale to a minor is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $4,000, confinement up to a year in jail, or both.

Regardless of the fact the legal age appears to be 18 there, it seems to support that an overage person purchasing alcohol for an underage person does not sidestep the law here.

Years
  • Guys, seriously. It's nothing special. You want to drink at home? Do it. If you can't have fun in public without it, you've got bigger problems.

Lol, I didn't get asked for ID the other day. Somehow I don't think I look over 25...

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • All right, here's my two cents. Here in NZ, the drinking age is 18 already. However, I am sad to say, this country has something of a booze culture. New Zealanders in the 16-21 bracket are responsible for something like forty-four percent of fatal car accidents on our roads. As well as this, more than half of all fatal car accidents are caused by alcohol-impaired drivers. I'm seeing a significant overlap.

It's not just drink-driving, though. Giving kids the three extra years gives them time to mature fully if they haven't already, so that they can handle drinking alcohol when they're eventually allowed to. The ones that actually have matured enough to handle alcohol by age 18 are probably the ones who won't mind not being able to drink for another three years.

As I've said, New Zealand in general has a terrible problem with alcohol, complete with its own binge-drinking subculture. I think we should put the drinking age up to 21 for the safety of young people themselves as well as that of the community.

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    honestly i think the people here in the U.S would be quite happy if it was lowered to 18 lol

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    why would you want to drink when you are 18? alcohol isnt something to play with, I have a friend who has been i a coma and I everybody here (age is 18) gets drunk over nothing, jsut to pick up girls. you thnik thts a good thing to do? the only "excuse" one should hve to get drunk is when a very sad moment happened, like the loss of a son or a relative. getting drunk does nothing but bad things. those people who think that in order to ahve fun you need to get drunk well they are STUPID AND RETARDED!

Years
  • I wholly support people getting drunk. As long as it's under supervision. If you're going out with a bunch of friends, make sure some of them are willing to stay sober.

Blaze The Hedgehog

The Flaming Wolf!
    Years
  • I don't need to complain about drinking anymore =)

But on the serious side of things, I haven't really seen anything serious to do with drinking around here (Yes, I've seen stuff on the TV, I just don't care if it happens anywhere else).

Yet I live in the county where private drinking is legal for age 5 onwards.

Back