• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DSi Discussion Thread

Are you going to buy the DSi?

• Definitely, I love it!

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • What a ripoff. NO

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • Whats a DSi?

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I hope!

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • maybe.

Votes: 20 21.1%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    TBH, I think the "bad" in taking out the gba slot is just opinionative. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder amirite?

Ill just wait till the DsiWare lets you download the games. Nintendo said that in 2 years they want their full gameboy and gba libraries on there. and i have my reason to believe pokemon will be one of the first games available.

So taking out the slot is not so bad after all.
    Oh, how exciting! We get to pay for them again!

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Won't it be weird to be talkin' in the DSi?

People would think you're batty for doin' something like that, especially if they see a phone in your pocket. XD

I find this interesting. I wonder how you would speak through it, though.

Honest Eyes

If A Girl Wants To Dance...
    Years
    Technically there is voice chat over Pokemon, couldn't you just link up with your friend at talk like that? Kinda like skype, except with friend codes. ;)

Years
    It's a gimmick, they took bits from PSP and crammed them into a DS, but removed BW compatibility.

When the guy in Gamestation tried to get me to reserve one, my initial question was "what makes this better than DS?"

He went on a bit about being able to store music, take pictures and download games, I told him my PSP does this just fine, in fact better (for music and film anyway). He then said that DSi can play any nes, snes or GBA game ever made via download, again i told him my PSP does that, but will play Megadrive, PS1 and Arcade games too (due to CFW). He then said DSi had a touch screen. I kindly pointed out my current DS has one of those.

I asked him does it offer anything worthwhile as a stand alone console to someone who owns a PSP and a previous DS. He mumbled something then pretended to have to check something.

Long story short, the DSi isn't worth the extortionate price tag, especially when it's fundamentally the same as the DS, with a bunch of haphazard and limited extras thrown in.
    I think you're being rather cynical here. Firstly, it's not exactly fair to include features that involve playing roms, when you're complaining about commercial systems. If you want to go down that road, you can get a netbook for a fraction more and emulate the above consoles quite effectively.

Without purchasing extra accessories, the PSP couldn't take photos last time I checked. The PSP has taken a while to drop from it's initial price, which was far more than the DSi, so it's not such an economical advantage.

The fact is, you're comparing a combination of consoles, saying that they all cover the features that the DSi has, but you're getting these features all in one console. You're perfectly within your right to be content using both the PSP and the DS, but it's there for people that want it. It makes more sense for someone to purchase this than to purchase a DSL and a PSP, unless they want the PSP Games. If there was another console that was in every way equal or superior at a lesser price, then it's fine to call the DSi a wrought, but it's safe to assume that a new console with far more features is going to be worth more, at least for the time being.

I understand that you don't have the need for it, but that's like walking into a car dealer and informing them that you already have a car that does exactly what you need it to, so they should drop their price before you get offended. Props for being articulate, though. I rarely enjoy reading posts. :D

I have to be honest, I'm not getting one yet. That's because I'm happy enough with my console for the time being and don't want to spend my money, regardless of what it costs (keep in mind I never bothered getting the DS lite, either) and I don't have the time to spend playing games on my DS, letalone a DSi. At this point in time, it simply doesn't suit me, but I'm not condemning Nintendo, nor ruling out getting a DSi in the future.

Vie

Years
    I want to keep my DS... I love it and it's been through much stuff with me...yeah, I'm a sentimental person.
    And I don't like so much new stuff. Iwt was already annoying when they changed the slotsystem from GBC to GBA... you can't use the old games anymore :'(

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    I'm very, very excited about the DSi.
    Mine's been pre-ordered for almost two months now..
    I'm getting it for my birthday
    [But I'm working on persuading my parents to let me have it early]
    Besides.
    My bulky DS is almost dead.
    [Top screen's hanging off, battery's almost dead and can't find charger]
    Then I'll lose the ability to trade my pokémon back and forth between games.
    Besides, it's all well and good having a PSP..
    But the game library isn't big enough for me wanting to use it all the time.
    So yeah.
    I'm very excited about getting my DSi.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    DSi demo station stations up 4 days before release over here and i was in the store over 30 minutes before kicked out! XD So yes i am looking foward for it because well it is simply amazing. The matte finish isnt all that smooth and rubber feel its mor smooth and well a bit rugged you cant put your hand over it and feel it and say wow smooth and rubber like more like smooth but with speedbumbs. The interface is love for me. Its so simple and amazing. The cameras arent exaclty hi tech but damn they are fine. Oh and sure .25 inches doesnt sound much of an improvement but my god it shows that the screens are better. Oh and the power button? No worries that thing isnt as annoying as they say when you push it. It is real easy in the middle of a game when bored to click reset switch games and go. So there you have it Mitchman Is' first impression of the 3rd gen DS.They also told me for an etra 10euros i could take it home 4 days early. Im .. close to getting it.

Years
    Buy The DSi?

You probably heard that the DSi is coming out soon. I hope to get it around one month after, on my birthday. I have no idea if I want my parent to get it. I LOVE it, but I heard rumors of it, like that it was coming out to stop the R4DS downloads. What do you think?:\

Anyone wondering what a DSi is, please visit nintendodsi.com, or wikipedia: DSi.

Last edited:

Honest Eyes

If A Girl Wants To Dance...
    Years
    I'm gonna have to go with, what is a DSi. :P
    I looked it up, and I have to say no, I will not get one.
    I just need my DS to play games, not all that other stuff. ;)

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    Nope. I have no use really for a DSi. My Crimson/Onyx DSlite works perfectly and I can use the money elsewhere. perhaps when Nintendo releases their next handheld console, I'll get that one, but the DSi, no thanks.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    My DS lite is broken. Might as well spend $40 more on another DS. DSi's price is only $20 more than when the first DS phats came out.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I'm too poor, but if I had the chance, then it'll still be no. I still have my GBA. :3 I don't want to waste some $100+ on another handheld. >.>

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Nah, the DS I have right now is good enough for me. Also, I don't have the money for a DSi so... yeah.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Don't like my DSfat (who does?) and my sister's DSlite is on the verge of breaking in two. I hope my $70 and selling six games (4 of which are for the XBox 360) will be enough to buy one. If not, my mother would most likely pay whatevers left. I'll probably get the black one, but would gladly get the blue one if the former is sold out.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    My friend is goin' to get it anyways, so why should I be worried of getting on?

Besides, I'm broke. D8

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to it a lot. I will most definitely be able to get it by next Friday, but if it's possible I'll try to get it the day it's released. I plan on selling as much games as I need for Gamestop store credit, but I'm hoping I can buy it without reserving it. I'm really buying one just to have a DS to replace my annoying DSfat; all the extra features are just bonuses for me.

Back