• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Emerald] Making a Tag Battle Script

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Everyone remembers the awesome scene in Emerald where the player and Steven beat Maxie and Tabitha in Mossdeep city, right? Well, it looks like not many people know how to make a script like that. Yesterday I figured out how.

Before I begin, I would like to give a huge thanks to Pia Carrot from PHO for starting a Steven research thread over on those forums – That's what got me to make this. Let's get started.

Making the Script

Yesterday, I went through Steven's script trying to figure out how it works, and I did. In there you can find everything I did to figure it out. To make a script like that, you must write something like this:
    Code:
    #dynamic 0xE40000
    #org @start
    lock
    special 0x28
    fadescreen 0x1
    special 0x2A
    waitstate
    compare LASTRESULT 0x0
    if 0x5 goto @yes
    special 0x29
    goto @end

#org @yes
    special 0xFB
    setvar 0x8004 0x2
    setvar 0x8005 0x4
    special 0xEA
    setvar 0x8004 0x8
    setvar 0x8005 0x0
    special 0xEF
    waitstate
    setvar 0x8004 0x6
    special 0xEA
    special 0x29
    copyvar 0x8000 LASTRESULT
    compare 0x8000 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @continue
    fadescreen 0x1
    special 0xCB
    waitstate
    goto @continue

#org @end
    release
    end

Editing Steven's, Maxie's, and Tabitha's Pokemon

Okay, so this one is a bit easier. To do this, download this and this.. Those two things are Nightmare Table Editor and Nightmare Table Editor modules for Pokemon Emerald. Huge thanks to Agastya for sending me Nightmare.

Now open the Nightmare Table Editor, and open the module that says something about Mossdeep and Steven. In there you get to change the level, movesets, EVs, species and more about Steven's Pokémon. Edit them as much as you want, and set them how you like. To edit Maxie's and Tabitha's Pokémon, open A-Trainer, or any other trainer editor and head to 0x202, which is Tabitha. Edit him as much as you want, then head to 0x2DE, which is Maxie. Edit those to you're liking, and you now have a fully-customized tag battle script!

I hope it was easy enough to understand for all of you, and if there are any questions, don't hesistate to ask.
    Thanks to Alex for fixing up the grammar and other stuff. :)

Last edited:

Setzer Gabbiani

Gambler
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    Very neat! However, does this mean that we can only make one Tag Team battle, as you said to edit Maxie and Tabitha's data? Or can this be applied to multiple battles throughout the game?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    This is very interesting, I've always wanted to do this? Unfortunately, this script won't work on Firered, right?

Sorry, but it's Emerald only D:

Very neat! However, does this mean that we can only make one Tag Team battle, as you said to edit Maxie and Tabitha's data? Or can this be applied to multiple battles throughout the game?

Honestly, I think that with a little bit of ASM it can probably be done more than once. :)

Back