• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Energy drinks banned...

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I completely oppose this. Local government are always passing unconstitutional legislation here in the States, though. I'm sure this is a similar to what you're experiencing.

Years
    The government already tried banning alcohol, and it proved to be impossible. I don't think you have to worry about that ever happening.

But that doesn't change the fact that they were still able to put legislation like that through congress and get it passed. It may not have worked, but the point stands- the government has done it before.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    This is silly. It's up to parents to regulate these sorts of things. This is just more nanny-state behavior. Let parents do the job of parenting the way they think is best so long as they do a good job of it.

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
    I am really not a fan of energy drinks and don't understand at all why people drink them, but even I think this is a tad ridiculous. Banning them due to caffeine content is reasonably sensible, but I'm fairly sure 16 year olds can tolerate caffeine just as well as a 19 year old, so the age limit is rather nonsensical. But the fact that they're banning them because they might mix them with alcohol is, to be blunt, ****ing stupid. That's like banning people from buying lighters because they might use them to light up a joint; it's a case of pure idiocy and just showing that they don't have a clue what they're doing. The energy drinks isn't the problem with mixing with alcohol, the alcohol is; so why not do more to prevent alcohol consumption?

brah

Joker2Cold
    Years
    • Ga
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    I agree with others when they say it's stupid to ban energy drinks on the terms of them being mixed with alcohol. I consume an energy drink after I finish a race or after a good riding day, because quite frankly after I race/ride, I'm freaking exhausted. The energy drink gives me enough of a jolt so i won't fall asleep driving home. I'm not using that as an excuse persay, hell i love the taste of energy drinks. But they do help when I'm worn out and still have to drive home. Let the parents say no to their 12 yr old when they want an energy drink at the gas station, not the government. If you need the government to protect your kid from what they drink(regarding non-alcoholic bevarages),that really reflects how well off as a parent you are.

Years
    Yeah. Funny thing is, he's in his late 20's. Therefore, this proves that anyone's judgement is skewed. Not just any old teen that drinks them.

I've alsonever heard of Four Loco. I've heard of RockStar and Red Bull. Maybe one or two more that I can't recall, but... I've never heard of it. What's so bad about it? [/never got into energy drinks]

4Loko is an alcoholic energy drink, so it's even worse for you than a normal one. Alcohol is a depressant, while the energy drink is a stimulant, so mixing the two can really mess with your brain's chemistry. On the news recently there was a story of some college kids who O.D.'d on them and died following a party, which is probably the reasoning behind wanting energy drinks banned.

Rock Star and Red Bull aren't alcoholic though.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Ugh, I remember when I was in middle school, there'd be 7th and 8th graders getting a good hold of Monsters. Be it because they could fake being students in the neighboring high school or because they could get them from unauthorized sellers.

I also remember early in the year, bus capacities when out of whack and I sat next to this sophomore who had her music out loud to the max. I tapped her and asked her what the Monster she's holding tastes like. She commented it was very fizzy, a sort of unusual but good flavor. She also commented she had to drink these often because she stayed up all night.

Of course, I don't know if I am in any position to say anything. Because when I can get a hold of a continuous supply of Coca-Cola, I take advantage of it. I'm somewhat prone to caffeine addiction.

While I was in 7th grade I developed a coffee consumption habit. One or two cups every morning. My mom didn't like it because she claimed it was the cause of a few anger episodes back then.

Right now, there really isn't much to cause me anything. I think I can go back to consuming coffee with no problem. It'd be to my advantage because I swear I used to be able to stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning and not be too tired during the day. Now I can't do anything later than 1 AM.

My point is, maybe energetic drinks deserves a sort of mid-teen age restriction. Because I really did not like the image of the middle schoolers consuming a strong caffeine source. 19 seems a bit ridiculous. 14 or 15 is something a bit more adequate.

Years
    I don't think they should really be banned to an age limit, they aren't that bad but I can understand the concern.

I don't really drink them much, but only when I am doing an all nighter at University.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Caffine is also a diuretic. I think anyone who drinks a can of this stuff should also drink the equivalent amount in water, too.. to balance it out.

:C In a way the parents should be restricting their children to this.. and age limit stuff shouldn't really be monitored by the government.. but it should be handled almost like buying over-the-counter cold medicine stuff.. Just keep an eye on you cause too much of it can be detrimental.

But then again, if people wanna die, they can go and die ._. But the information on these cans should be revealed more obviously and there should be concern going into it before making the purchase.

Years
    I actually agree with this. I don't approve of energy drinks whatsoever. There are other ways to get energy - sleep, proper management of time, etc.

I mean, people can say "it's a parent's job to regulate what their kid drinks." However, if they give them money, and then they just buy whatever at a gas station with their friends and then they hide the evidence..? :\

To be perfectly honest, if you need an energy drink - for the actual reason of giving you ENERGY rather than just drinking them - below the age of nineteen, you might want to reevaluate your life/sleeping habits/procrastination/etc. It's not healthy for kids. :\

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
    As much as I hate energy drinks, banning it is silly in the end. I understand the concerns, but banning it makes teenagers want more... gosh, I hate rebellious phases. -.-

Also, if a person wants to kill themselves by drinking something almost as vile as alcohol, they can go ahead. That way there are less idiots in this world.

Years
    I was watching the news this morning, and apparently NJ is also going to be passing a law similar to that, I think banning them until you turn 16. It will be the first state in the United States passing a law like this.

I personally don't drink energy drinks on a daily basis (maybe once a month), and It wouldn't really affect me since I'm about to turn 16. I don't really think they should be restricted for anyone though.

If energy drinks are that bad for you, then basically every other drink you find at a convienience store should be restricted too.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Well i personally am not a big fan of sodas or similar drinks...
    But if it's proven to cause some medical problems, then it definetly should be banned!
    But I feel that people drink way to many coke, sodas, and similar drinks. Those things definetly aren't good for you.

Years
    Well i personally am not a big fan of sodas or similar drinks...
    But if it's proven to cause some medical problems, then it definetly should be banned!
    But I feel that people drink way to many coke, sodas, and similar drinks. Those things definetly aren't good for you.

Well, going by that, then everything with sugar or artificial sweeter should be banned too, seeing as it contributes to Obesity and Diabetes. :/ It's as implausible as it is hypocritical.

But my original point still stands. People obviously know better, this is just another case of people who deflect blame because they otherwise have no control over themselves. :/ And parents need to step up too.

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years

Well, going by that, then everything with sugar or artificial sweeter should be banned too, seeing as it contributes to Obesity and Diabetes. :/ It's as implausible as it is hypocritical.

But my original point still stands. People obviously know better, this is just another case of people who deflect blame because they otherwise have no control over themselves. :/ And parents need to step up too.
    How a parent has control of his child while said child is in a nightclub is beyond me. Furthermore, the "social pressure" is most likely stronger that "parent's word/rule" for most teenagers.

aguinn99

Im a firin mah lazor
    Years

Instead of blaming the energy drink, blame the person drinking it if it makes them ill/sick/whatever. People need to learn self control and better overall judgment.
    This.
    exactly
    there should be an age limit though, so young people can't drink it.

Back